No low or high beam headlights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

No low or high beam headlights

I am having an intermittent problem with my 2004 K1200RS headlights. The high beam indicator shows the indicator are on. But no lights, just the small parking light. Any Thoughts or Ideas.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 1:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZARCONE1
I am having an intermittent problem with my 2004 K1200RS headlights. The high beam indicator shows the indicator are on. But no lights, just the small parking light. Any Thoughts or Ideas.

Thanks
The point of connection inside the headlight shell for the ground wires of both beams to the ground wire exiting the headlight shell is a known problem. It would be easiest to remove the headlamp housing to make a repair.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 4:33 pm
Will ride for picts

Yep. When that common ground strap fails, you lose both low and highbeams, but the blue highbeam indicator comes on. Mine failed in the middle of a road trip to Phoenix. I had it repaired when I returned home to Denver. Good thing I had PIAA's, as I did have to ride at night without the headlights. Was fixed under warranty in my case.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Weird as it may sound, I had the same problem--no lights AND my high beam indicator was on regardless of the switch position. I was sure it was the classic ground wire in the headlamp problem. Turned out to be a bad low beam bulb that was shorted to ground. Replaced the bulb and all was fine.....
YMMV, of course.

GTRider
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help

This is the second time it has happened. The first time it fixed it self after a couple of weeks. This time it was on a trip back to Denver from Salt Lake, I am thankful for my Pia's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 4:42 am
Addict

As Brucecha says, this has been a fairly common fault which is easily diagnosed from the symptoms posted.

When I started adding accessories up front, I'd already read about this problem so I ran in a separate ground wire (12swg I think) forwards from the battery negative terminal. When I saw the skimpy ground wire to the lights and how it flexed with the steering I was glad I'd put in the extra ground. I use the word 'ground' like everybody else, but it's a bad word because people find a bit of metal on the bike and make connections to it.

This is bad practice and although it often works, it is better to connect to an actual wire connected to the battery.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 3:36 pm

No low or High Beams

Just found this thread and it helped! I just replaced both hi and low beams last week and came back from a ride to find no lights! My hi beam indicator was also on. After reading this thread and taking apart the front of the bike, I found the ground strap on the bottom of the headlight housing had a loose lead and there was visible smoke/heat damage. So I cut out the bad piece of wire and replaced the connection, and gave it a test before re-assembling. It worked! Hope it doesn't happen again any time soon...I currently have no back up but am now shopping for Moto Lights!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 9:02 pm
Enthusiast

Add 1 more to the group who have had issues with this ground wire. Here also I had PIAA's to get me home.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 7:13 pm
Looking for better limits...

Having additional lights, even fog lights, can make a whole lot of difference. Always have a plan "B".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode