Wheel Track Offset - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Wheel Track Offset

I have many bikes that I ride so I haven't been on my 03 GT in about 2 months. I went for a ride last weekend and I was reminded just how bad the Pull To the Right (PTR) problem is on this bike. I'm still amazed (and pissed) Germany would build a bike with this kind of flaw in it. After riding only 200 miles and having my shoulder kill me from constantly counter steering the SOB.............I've come to the conclusion I'm going to fix the SOB or get rid of it. I have measured my off set and it is +7mm with the 2mm rear wheel spacer removed. The PTR issue was reduced approximatly by half when the spacer was removed so going in that direction does help. The problem I have now is there is no adjustment to allow the wheel to move more in the direction I need it to to alliviate the PTR. Only thing I can do is machine the rear hub face to get the wheel over some more. So before I do this I'd like to know where your offset is and how bad or not your bike pulls to the right. That will give me an idea of how much I need to remove. By the PTR reduction I accomplished by removing the spacer, I'm guessing 2-3mm will totally elliminate the problem. Anyone have data they can share?

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 7:34 pm
Veteran

Will this help you.
It's from the factory CD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KRS wheel offset.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	6264   Click image for larger version

Name:	measuring wheel offset.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	6265  

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 8:21 am
Addict

I'd always start with the factory recommends. Perhaps I've missed something obvious and you're into serious machining and experimentation, but there's a whopping spacer on the front wheel axle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Will this help you.
It's from the factory CD.
Thanks for posting this, but I have already seen it on this board. That's how I measured mine and it is within spec.. I can't belive the tolerance they allow. Most people would throw a frame away that was out of alignment as much as the Germans allow. Mine measures +7mm offset. Proably need something more like +9mm on my bike to stop the PTR.

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I'd always start with the factory recommends. Perhaps I've missed something obvious and you're into serious machining and experimentation, but there's a whopping spacer on the front wheel axle.
Please see my above reply.

Also........ I don't understand what you are trying to convey about the size of the front wheel spacer. Are you suggesting to making an offset correction my maching it?

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 9:12 am

Is this a consistent issue throughout the series? I only tend to notice my PTR when on a heavily crowned road.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:00 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak
Thanks for posting this, but I have already seen it on this board. That's how I measured mine and it is within spec.. I can't belive the tolerance they allow. Most people would throw a frame away that was out of alignment as much as the Germans allow. Mine measures +7mm offset. Proably need something more like +9mm on my bike to stop the PTR.
I agree with you. A wheel offset tolerance of almost 3/4" is a bit much. That rates right up there with their allowable oil consumption of 850mi. per qt on a K-bike.

This may sound dumb, as I have never checked my wheel/frame alignment. Is it possible that your rear wheel is not tracking true? I mean running slightly left or right because of a bent frame or swingarm.?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmquigley
Is this a consistent issue throughout the series? I only tend to notice my PTR when on a heavily crowned road.
You will notice the PTR all the time. If your percieving on only crowned roads it's not a problem for your bike.

Where Hurst, TX............I'm in Houston.

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Is it possible that your rear wheel is not tracking true? I mean running slightly left or right because of a bent frame or swingarm.?
That's a posibility and I've have considered it, but I don't know how I could determin that without a frame jig. The wheels are parralle to each other as best I can measure.

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:57 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak
Please see my above reply.

Also........ I don't understand what you are trying to convey about the size of the front wheel spacer. Are you suggesting to making an offset correction my maching it?
I was simply making an observation that if you have 2 wheels and wish to change their juxtaposition alignment, are into machine modifications like the race boys and willing to destroy oem parts to get a result, there's a big 1" long spacer on the front axle that could be re-made along with a thinner one to keep the same overall spacing but offset the wheel, relative to the rear wheel. I've not tried it but you sound pretty creative about machining the rear hub.

I think brucecha is being helpful by saying, 'check you have no other problems with the rear drive + swingarm bearings before machining anything'- to at least get the bike like all the others. Then if you want to play around, you're really trying to make the bike do something it never did leaving the factory. Just because you took the spacer out and got an improvement, doesn't tell you if there's a bearing or alignment issue still present.

If you're into things alignmentwise, there's always the rear transmission mounting setup to check if you suspect the bike may have had some work done in the rear department. Personally I'd try riding a similar bike and go with the advice first. I don't know if you had your bike from new and therefore know its history. I don't know the history of my '97 but it doesn't pull. However when I took the motor out of the frame I noticed it didn't just drop in on the mountings like a jigsaw. So I wonder if parts can get out of alignment, just by dropping these heavy bikes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode