Advice on my 02 K12RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Advice on my 02 K12RS

I bought this bike about 3 months ago and have so far logged about 4500 big grin miles (14,500 total miles on the bike). I absolutely love this bike. However, after reading about so many big dollar maintanence issues on this site including clutch failures at low mileage, main seal failures, tranny seal failures, rear brake pads shot at 15K miles, etc. I can't get rid of this sick, nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's no fun having a bike that I would constantly worry about. I was lucky enough to find a very clean, little used 5 yr. old bike at a good price, which is the only way I could have every bought a BMW, but there is no way I can afford $1500 plus repairs. It will be a struggle to do the "interval" maintenance because these are so expensive. I always worried about BMW's being expensive to maintain and stayed away from them for a long time (been riding 30 years now), but when this bike came along, I couldn't resist. Sold my Connie (36K trouble free and maintenance free miles, only oil changes and tires) and bought this K12RS. Prior, I had a Bandit 1200S which I put over 30K miles on, all trouble free. Many other Jap bikes over the years, all with no troubles. Obviously, this K12 is light years ahead of those bikes and it is hands down the best m/c I've ever owned. But at what price? Already I have a bad switch that activates the servo to the rear brake (estimated repair at dealer over $100) and the clutch has a bit of minor slippage from a standing start.

It seems like the '03 K12GT has experienced many various failures reported on this site, but it is basically the same bike as mine. Should I expect these same problems? If so, it may require a very tough decision of whether to keep it and keep my fingers crossed, or sell it while it is still low mileage and with broken heart, go back to the old reliable Jap bikes. Of course I realize that any bike can break down but these bikes seem more prone than others and it seems BMW's are more costly to repair than other brands. A shame that this much engineering brillance can be undermined by costly breakdowns.

Any help and advice is greatly welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:57 pm
Veteran

My '04 KRS does eat rear brake pads every 16K, that and a change to metal QD's(because of a failure of the stock unit) have been my total repairs in just over 26 months & 38,000mi.

Oops, forgot one valve bucket!

This is not to say that a BMW is cheaper to maintain than a UJM, their not!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:37 am
Enthusiast

I wouldn't obsess about repairs and maintainance. Of course, anything can always happen to any bike, but BMW makes a great machine. Remember that what you see on sites such as this are guys that are having problems. The great majority of BMW riders put many trouble free miles on their bikes loving every minute of it. I too have an 02 KRS. I have 36,000 on mine, and knock on wood, have had no problems. Plus I run mine pretty hard. It's a great bike, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

As far as scheduled maintainance goes, do it yourself. 90% of it is very easy. Use the shop only to do things that you can't. Paying 6 to $800 for what boils down to an oil change is ridiculous. Buy a manuel if you have to, but do it yourself. You'll be a lot happier and you'll know the work was done right. Something that doesn't always happen at the dealership.

Enjoy. Don't worry, be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 4:32 pm
Addict

More good than bad....

I've just turned 81,000 on my GT (2004) and the only problem was the quick disconnect on the fuel line (broke at 38,000....a good thing to keep handy). I'm amazed at the reliability of this bike with minimal maintenance. I change the engine oil and final drive oil every 3000.......I love this bike.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:41 pm

bike

I have a 2004K1200GT and I think you right BMW bike are good bike to ride but the cost of repair are out line.I think my next bike going to be a jap bike there better bike just like the cars.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:14 pm

Sorry you are having the paranoid blues... but just because you are paranoid- it does not mean that someone is not following you.

I loved my RS... but my main mechanic said I would have the list of problems you described... I also did not want to have to worry about it--- so I sold the RS and went to an 05 R1200RT... (now I can worry about final drive failures- so I purchased an extended warranty)

I certainly could go to another brand, but I won't.

If it bothers you that much maybe you are on the wrong bike...

Just my opinion.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 1:21 pm
Looking for better limits...

Rear brakes and rotor are being replaced at 102000 miles. I think it's going to be the 5th set of rear pads. First time for the rotor. Front pads changed once, at 84k. Fuel pump once, slave cylinder once (under BMW warranty), engine seal (but I attribute that to the failed slave cylinder leaking brake fluid) and pinion seal. QD once, too...Ride it. Enjoy the ride. If it breaks, fix it and ride some more.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2007, 2:32 am
Just saying hey

Advice on my 02 K12RS

I agree with everything budcarrigan said.
I also have a '02 K12RS, no major problems,
just lots of smiles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2007, 6:50 am
Addict

Krs

Gas, oil, tires.......gas, oil,..........gas, oil, fuel connector............gas, oil,..............gas, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, oil, tires ..............42,000 (don't baby this bike) miles

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reply's. I am already so completely spoiled by this bike that I just can't imagine any other. They all come up short. It will remain in my hands (and under my butt) for some time I imagine. Had a great experience today. Had my tires changed at a nearby Yamaha dealer and the mechanic took it out for a "quick spin" to make sure all was well - that's what he said anyway. He had been asking me all about it the whole time he was working on it. He was gone for about 15 or 20 minutes, in fact the owner came looking for him and when he got back he had a big ole grin on his face. The first thing he said was "WOW". "Fast and smooth and a great handler". And the owner standing right there. Problem is when I got back on it there was a big pool of drool on the tank............................

BTW, tires are Dunlop D205's bought from Chaparral online $238 for the pair with free shipping and they feel great. I have used them on 3 different bikes now (Bandit 12S and Concours) and have always had good results with them.

Ride safe.

Moosedog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode