Tail Bag useful? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Question Tail Bag useful?

Hi all,
I'm wondering if a tail bag would be useful for my commute. Normally I carry lunch, large thermos of coffee and sometimes gym clothes if I'm going to stop to exercise. They just about fill the side cases (standard lids) because they're carried in separate bags (like a lunch bag and gym bag.)

I'm wondering if the tail bag might work for these things allowing be to leave the side cases at home and gain some fuel mileage (40 mile one way commute - about half interstate.)

Do the bags remove easily so I could just carry them inside when I get to work? If so, can they be secured to the bike to keep someone else from removing them if I stop somewhere on the way home?

Any experiences with these welcome.

thanks,
hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:05 pm
Veteran

Hank

I use mine (BMW) a lot, especially now that fall is coming and I need a place to stow layered clothes. They hold a surprising amount of junk. The only time I mount the hardbags is for a trip longer than overnight.

The tailbag and BMW mounting rack come off as one unit with a push of the ignition-key lockable latch. The bag can be easily removed by itself(Velcro strap over sewn-in slot) and I would not consider it's mounting theft-proof.

If I were to buy a tailbag over again, I would look for the BMW mounting rack on eBay and buy a new Chicane tailbag. If purchased new, a BMW tailbag is on the cheezy side and the plastic that helps the bag hold it's shape breaks down with age.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Sep 20th, 2007 at 12:10 pm.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 2:32 pm

I'm using the Chicane Mesa and Dune bags depending on how far I'm going. As for commuting, the Mesa would work for you provided you have the BMW mounting plate. The Dune plate mounts too and will hold two Kermit chairs, a tent and a sleeping bag (summer wt.) Very versatile bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 4:01 pm
Will ride for picts

I commuted 50 miles each way for two years. I never noticed a difference in fuel mileage between bags on or off.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 4:29 pm

I don't think you'll notice a fuel difference. I plan to put my soft tail bag on for commuting as it holds whatever I want. I leave it on the bike, just taking in my lunch or whatever else I want to take in. It is easier than getting stuff from the side bags or my large top box.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:29 pm

I use the keyed soft trunk bag and tank bag when going to office. The soft tail bag is very useful, with it I only need the system cases on long (out of town) trips.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:48 pm
Veteran

rear bag

I have stopped carrying the system cases except on big trips. I have a bag mounted behind me, carries change of clothes, wet weather gear and tyre repair kit. It can also carry 24 cans of Vic Bitter with ease. Reason for all this is I can zip down between the cars with ease when the system cases are removed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 8:22 am

tail bag

I almost never use my system hard case unless I am on a long trip.

I took a small nylon briefcase, cut a few holes on the bottom, and push some bungie cords into them and fasten them to the bike as a tailbag, and they work fine.

I was initially very careful about people stealing the bag, but basically no one takes it. I have never had it stolen. I just carry rain gear, extra gloves, sunglases, bottle water in it.

Plastics
99 K1200RS silver/Blue
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 4:43 pm
JMc

Tailbag

Can't live without mine...I run the Cortech Sport Tailbag when I need something quick -($63) from www.newenough.com & the Chicane Mesa Tail bag for long trips.

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the answers (and all the alternatives.) I'll have to do some research into those other tail bags since I don't see the BMW ones coming up for sale very often.

Good to see the site back up too!

-hank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode