Brake Failure flash - Cruise Control - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2007, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

Brake Failure flash - Cruise Control

2003 K1200GT 13K

The normal condition of the Brake Failure lamp at ignition switch on (engine not yet running) is to fast flash initially, then the ABS servo will emit sound briefly.
At that point the fast flash should cease and go to a slow flash until the bike is rolled forward a short distance to satisfy wheel motion sensor communication & function. Life is good.

She is my daily commuter (46 mpg avg) and caused me great concern the other morning after a fuel stop about 1/2 way on my 38 mile ride to work. After filling I switched on and noticed the fast flash did not stop, no servo boot up and of course only weak unassisted braking capacity. I moved about the parking lot slowly and worked both brake levers several times and the problem cleared right away. On to work with no problem until a over month later. I have the same fast flash deal going on, and was able to restore full braking function with a short pass in the parking lot while working both levers. I was homeward bound and then lost Cruise Control function. The cruise pilot light was on at the switch but no panel amber.
Life just got a little more complicated and potentially expensive if I couldn't resolve this on my own.

At initial turn on in the garage, the same deal with the panel fast flash. I also noticed the brake light is activated and the levers had no effect. I found the problem to be the micro switch lever for the rear brake had moved from its normal position of resting on the stop bolt head, to a position under the head and thus being pulled from its normal position of switch activation. I repositioned the lever to its normal place on top of the bolt head and flexed it laterally to land more squarely.

The initialization sequence and cruise control functions are now normal. Check your switch positions folks. It just may save you stress and money down the road.

Best Regards
TomG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode