Tire Question!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Tire Question!!!

Ok,,, I have had the Z-4 on my K1200 RS,,, the Z-6,,, and the Pirelli Diablo Stradas... The Stradas lasted the longest by the way...

Alright,,, NOW the question...

Why is it when you are ordering tires they have a,,,

Pirelli Diablo Stradas

180/55 ZR17

180/55 ZR17 "E" which they say works on the FJR???

Then,,, just to more than confuse me,,,

:::::a short throw from the outfield anytime:::::

Metzler Z-6

180/55 ZR17

180/55 ZR17 "C" for the FJR & BMW

But,,, The Michelin Pilot Road 2's I want to order only come in the plain 180/55 ZR17!!!

:wtf

I think I just had the plain jane 180/55 ZR17 Pirelli on my BMW the last time as I don't remember ordering a special letter with it...

So,,, what is so "Different" about these tires,,, and will any 180/55 ZR17 work?!?!?!

Also,,, are the Pilot Road 2 worth $60 more for a pair than the Pirelli's???

Last edited by Austincitylimits; Oct 1st, 2007 at 8:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 9:54 am

The extra letter 'special' tires have sidewalls that will handle a heavier load.

I believe they're only needed if you ride two up and loaded.

The Continental Road Attack I just put on the rear of my RS doesn't have an extra letter, but the specs on Dennis Kirk web site say it fits the K12RS.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:05 am

The "C" tire on the Z6 is purposely made for the RS and FJR with additional material in the construction because of the bikes weight. I believe it's to prevent the tire from coming apart in the event of a puncture. This past summer while riding right in front of me at 80mph my wifes RS had a rear puncture on a Z6 "C" and went flat, the bike came to gentle stop on the shoulder. We plugged it and rode home. A regular tire may or may not have come apart, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT

Last edited by FlagGS; Oct 1st, 2007 at 10:45 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:52 am
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincitylimits
Pirelli Diablo Stradas

180/55 ZR17

180/55 ZR17 "E" which they say works on the FJR???
And to confuse you even more, regular Stradas have 1mm deeper thread than "E" tires. I found the spec somewhere when I was researching that tire.

FWIW, I currently run Stradas and have 5K miles on the rear so far. I had it trhough 3K miles camping trip with heavy loaded bike and one 600 miles 2up trip. It still has plenty of thread left on it, at least not worse than "C" rated Z6 and Contis RA I tried http://www.mileagetracker.org/showBi...eseServices=11

So I don't know what that heavy load rating does for you and I am curious to learn that too.

Max
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:16 pm
Looking for better limits...

Fitted a "C" version of the Z6 on the rear in Texas when the M3 I had on the bike was toast. Only dealership was a Yamaha, where having the "C" version wasn't unusual. The non-C version of the tire has been on the bike for a total of 50k miles, good tire, lasting almost exactly 10k miles. On this one, though, I'm up to 12k miles, and it's still got all three wear indicators visible. Maybe 2k more...

So, it may just be the loads of different bikes, but looks like an additional 4k in mileage for me, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode