From GS to RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

From GS to RS

Yeah baby! I sold my '04 R1150GS and the wife bought a new '07 R1200RT. I'm now riding her old bike, well really not old... a '04 K1200RS that she has had since brand new two years ago. She put 38K on it and it's pristine, we have taken excellent care of it. Now the Piedmont Red beauty is mine. Believe it or not I never rode it until this past week. And in the past week I have logged about 800 miles. My initial impressions are good. I really like the silky smoothness and the acceleration. I'm still learning how to sit correctly on the RS so that I don't put too much pressure on my arms. After 56K miles on the GS this new riding position takes a little work. My wife had the pegs in the upper position and I have been riding with them up there, but I think I'm going to move them back down so I can get better weight on my butt and feet.

After riding the RS for the past week, all I can say is "She is one tuff chick".
FlagGS soon to be FlagRS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 6:19 pm

Congrat's on your new-to-you ride. Just remember to grip the tank with your knees, keep your elbow's bent, weight on your footpegs and use your abs (abdominal muscles-not braking system ) to help keep weight off your hands. As a fellow K-RS rider, I would be very interested in hearing your comparative analysis between the GS and the RS. I read so much great stuff about the GS's, yet given the choice you chose the RS. I know why the RS is such a great bike, now why is it better (to you) than the GS? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks and enjoy the smoothest bike on the planet.

Moosedog
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog
Congrat's on your new-to-you ride. Just remember to grip the tank with your knees, keep your elbow's bent, weight on your footpegs and use your abs (abdominal muscles-not braking system ) to help keep weight off your hands. As a fellow K-RS rider, I would be very interested in hearing your comparative analysis between the GS and the RS. I read so much great stuff about the GS's, yet given the choice you chose the RS. I know why the RS is such a great bike, now why is it better (to you) than the GS? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks and enjoy the smoothest bike on the planet.

Moosedog
Moose,
I can't tell you if the RS is better than the GS yet, although it is definitely different. The change was spurred my desire for something different a different riding experience. The GS was becoming mundane, riding it was almost effortless and at times a little boring. I was becoming lazy on it. And at times I felt like I was pushing it too hard to get the high I wanted. I never rode the GS off road and thus never used it to it's full potential. My wife and I ride together 100% of the time and it's all sport touring. I am a road guy and I needed a pure road machine. She was ready for a change and so was I, so bring on the RS. So far I have found the RS more demanding and I need to pay closer attention to my riding. I think its good for me. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity to try a bike that is so different and to improve my skills as a rider.

I will try to keep posting my RS vs. GS experience.
FlagRS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 8:12 pm
Looking for better limits...

I'll second the bit about the knees squeezing the tank. Lowering the elbows or bringing them into your ribcage more helps. 30 seconds of squeezing the tank and you'll notice your hands are much happier. Bend at the hips, not at the waist.

Something about Master Yoda's riding position comes to mind, too...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS
Moose,
I can't tell you if the RS is better than the GS yet, although it is definitely different. The change was spurred my desire for something different a different riding experience. The GS was becoming mundane, riding it was almost effortless and at times a little boring. I was becoming lazy on it. And at times I felt like I was pushing it too hard to get the high I wanted. I never rode the GS off road and thus never used it to it's full potential. My wife and I ride together 100% of the time and it's all sport touring. I am a road guy and I needed a pure road machine. She was ready for a change and so was I, so bring on the RS. So far I have found the RS more demanding and I need to pay closer attention to my riding. I think its good for me. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity to try a bike that is so different and to improve my skills as a rider.

I will try to keep posting my RS vs. GS experience.
FlagRS
Flag,
Thanks for the honest comments on the RS vs GS. It's never good to get lazy on any m/c. It's interesting you find it more demanding as I came to the RS from a Concours and found the RS so much easier to ride in every way. I wonder how much that taller tire on the GS has to do with it being less demanding? Enjoy and definately keep us up to date on the change over experience...........and big time kudo's to your wife for the miles that she rides - you go girl!!!!

Moose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode