Fuel Line Quick Disconnects - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Fuel Line Quick Disconnects

Has anyone used the "Jiffy-Tite" quick disconnects to replace the failure-prone ones on their GT? They look to be really high quality, a step above the Omega parts. They have wide application in race cars. Also, does anyone know the hose size on the RS/GT?

LR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 9:15 pm

Hosa Size

I beleive is 5/16"

Last edited by DJW000; Oct 1st, 2007 at 10:10 pm.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2007, 9:49 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlarry
Has anyone used the "Jiffy-Tite" quick disconnects to replace the failure-prone ones on their GT? They look to be really high quality, a step above the Omega parts. They have wide application in race cars. Also, does anyone know the hose size on the RS/GT?

LR
I think the Triumph guys use a Jiffy-Tite disconnect as a re-placement. Oh, and their stock QD screws into the tank.
I imagine they use Jiffy-Tite probably for the same reason BMW riders use Omega QD's. Because it is a direct replacement for the crap plastic quick-disconnects their respective manufacturers used as original equipment!

I think the true fuel hose size is in mm., but 5/16" is very close.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:45 am

Don't waste your time....read this thread and purchase the Omegas. At the end of the day, you'll be much happier.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=omegas
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:27 pm
Looking for better limits...

You can find the replacements here as well. Just a bit less searching (and self-promotion) involved.
Viton rings are the best for use with gasoline as well as withstanding extreme temperature changes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Last edited by Razel; Oct 2nd, 2007 at 12:48 pm.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 4:36 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
You can find the replacements here as well. Just a bit less searching (and self-promotion) involved.
Viton rings are the best for use with gasoline as well as withstanding extreme temperature changes.

Sure, but no photo's
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:29 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

quick disconnects

Thanks, gentlemen. I will get the Omega parts on order. I have to do a 24K service on my GT soon. That will be a good time to install them.

Larry
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2007, 6:54 am
Rookie

Larry,

Just a word of advice when changing them out. When you remove the upper-right plastic QD from the fuel line, be ready for a shower. It's apparently a direct line to the fuel tank and sprays out pretty good without a QD in the line. Have the clamp and new QD readily accessible. Keep your thumb over the open line as you work. I just changed mine last week. After reading countless threads on QD's, I never saw this mentioned. No big deal, but better to be prepared. Oh yeah...you might want to put that cigarette out before you get started.

Mike
08 K1200S Nachtschwartz
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:12 am
Will ride for picts

I've posted pics of the QD's on another thread. There are also more of them here.

Here's one of the Quick Connects:

The male side is the part that fails:

Here's how they fail, the plastic cracks at the sharp edge where it reduces in diameter:

Here's what the replacement parts look like, along with the correct part numbers. Use a -VITON on the end to get Viton o-rings (these are Buna-N):

I only changed the male side, as that is where the failure occurs. As mentioned in several other threads on this subject, the metal QD is interchangeable with the plastic.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 2:16 pm

tolerances

I read about this issue last winter and went ahead and got the Omega Q/Ds as a precaution. I never (had to) make the change, but in looking back at my invoice see that I got the FT-LCD220-06. This is 3/8" o.d. as opposed to the -05 which is 5/16" o.d. Anyone know the "true" diameter of the line and whether I need to correct this with the smaller o.d.?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode