Glowing Emblem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Glowing BMW Emblem

Anyone know of a place where I could buy a backlit BMW emblem that could be put on my '03GT on the front fairings where the stock emblem is? I realize that it would require the drilling of at least one hole through the fairing to run the wiring, but I think a glowing BMW emblem would be pretty damn cool at night. Maybe something lit by LED's. Thoughts?

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen

Last edited by bobholthaus; Oct 5th, 2007 at 4:36 pm. Reason: added wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I'm thinking one of the BMW sports cars has a lighted emblem on the side. You might look at that.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

I was thinking about that... the Z4. I couldn't remember if it was the emblem or just a blinker. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Okay, a pic of the one you mention is attached, but it doesn't glow, it just glows around it. I'm still looking...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Z4 Side Emblem.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	6336  

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:25 pm
Rookie

A glowing side emblem on a K bike is a GREAT idea!

Did you ever figure out how to do it?

2007K1200R: Remus CF Silencer, Metzler Sportec M3s, Tidy Tail, Motorad Navigator III, Autocom, Valentine 1 w/ Pirate's Lair Stealth Mount, Laser Interceptor, Evo Dual Race Filters, Sandbar CF Bellypan, LED Indicators/Brake Light, San Jose BMW Frame Sliders, and...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2007, 4:56 am
Addict

I can give you the ideas and you can run with them if you wish:

Trying to backlight Acrylic with an opaque emblem may not work. Edge lighting might be better to spread light through the acrylic and over the emblem, one point source wouldn't come out very even.

The smallest leds I know are the surface mounting types. Color is your preference, but I'd try blue or white first. If you don't mind sacrificing an emblem, I'd try drilling 4 small holes equidistant around the edge and set in 4 of the smallest leds I could find. You can tie the commons and use fine wire to bring them to a small center hole.

Who knows, there may be people prepared to pay money for them!

Vox

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2007, 8:36 am Thread Starter

I searched the web and there was an illuminated emblem on the LT site from like a year ago but all references to the URL no longer work, so I'm thinking that they don't make them anymore. I think a ton of people would buy this item. I do not have the knowledge on where to start when it comes to acrylic, but I think a LED ring around acrylic would probably work best (like the "eyes" on the 5 series Bimmers). But, I wouldn't even know where to start. I wished I had gone to West Bend this year because there was likely someone there who would know where to start.

Vox, the LED idea is intriguing, but expand if you will on the drilling of holes and mounting of LED's? Are the holes just for the wiring and then the surface mount LED's cover the holes? Although I think LED lighting is the way to make this happen, I don't think illuminating the front of a standard emblem would look anywhere as neat as a glowing acrylic-type emblem, that glowed evenly from behind.

Anyone out there have any contacts in the acrylic world that I could talk to? Again, for the right emblem that looked totally stock and glowed evenly, I think that people would buy them. In fact, I think MOST guys on a forum like this (knowing that we all love this type of stuff) would buy one!

I'm going to run by the Bimmer dealership at some point and look more closely at the blinker emblem on the Z4. If nothing else, I think it would be cool to have the emblem on the side of the tupperware blink with my blinkers (if they were the same size, which I am not sure if they are or not, hence needing to take a trip to the Bimmer shop on my Beemer).

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:59 pm
Addict

The acrylic emblem has to be thick enough at the edges to drill the 4 small holes into the thickness itself. Take a small piece of perspex and hold a led up to one of the edges and you'll see the effect - eerie. If you're practising on perspex, try taking off some of the surface polish with a mild abrasive too, then you get more internal reflection coming off the surface.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2007, 1:50 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus
emblem on the Z4. If nothing else, I think it would be cool to have the emblem on the side of the tupperware blink with my blinkers .
I've often had that thought. I've had that Z4 emblem in the back of my mind for a long time.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2007, 1:51 pm
"DELIVERS"

I think LED's would be too bright and uneven in glow, unless they make some that give off lower levels of light. A soft, backlit glow would look classy IMO.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode