K12 GT Stow Away - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

K12 GT Stow Away

I am new to this site and would like to express how much I appreciate it and all that I have learned from your experiences posted here. Usually, I am the guy delivering all kinds of information to others, but now I know what it is like to be on the receiving end! You folks have all saved me a lot of time in getting to know my new bike (and also what to expect down the line). I am now an excited new owner of a 03’ K1200GT which I just happen to stumble upon in an interesting way.

After 30 years, I took a break from riding (sold the toys for a business venture). I was recently talking with a co-worker about all the bikes I have had and how much I miss riding and tinkering. He said “well… if you’re interested in a project, I know where you can find one”. He said that his neighbor had lost her husband about 4 years ago to a sudden fatal heart attack. His motorcycle (that he recently purchased) still sits in the corner of the garage. The woman recently expressed thoughts that maybe it is time to let it go. When I asked what it was, he said “not sure of the model, but it’s a BMW”. That said… we were on our way.

I was soon looking at a very dusty 2003 K1200GT that ironically had 2003 miles on it! Outside of the dust, this thing was “as new” perfect. When I asked what she wanted for it, she came back with “well… the dealer offered me half of what it is worth, but I would rather see it go to someone who would care for it and enjoy it”. You guessed it…. SOLD!

I took care of some stale gas, dead battery and cylinders filled with oil from sitting on the side stand for 4 years and it fired right up (smoked like a train for a while). I would have thought that the bike had issues if it weren’t for this site. The “box of rocks” engine noise, 4000rpm grip tingles and mild right hand steering pull were cause for concern at first, but it appears that it’s “nature of the beast”. I had a BMW dealer give it a full 40 point inspection and was told that it was exceptional in every way.

So far, I have put 800 miles on it locally and everything is fine. I am going to keep a close eye on seals, tires and all the other items that sometimes suffer from non-use for a while (never mind the issues commonly discussed in this forum). If all goes well, I hope to get some fall foliage riding on it before it goes back into hibernation (only for the winter this time… I certainly hope).

The funny part about all this is that the K12 GT was one of my favorite bikes of all time. I entertained the thought of buying a new one back in 03’, but decided I just couldn’t afford it (procrastination can pay off I guess). Looking forward to getting back on 2 wheels and just wanted to share my adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Looking for better limits...

Thanks for the adventure in returning to riding. I won't ask what color...

If it has cold-running issues (just after starting), you may be eligible for the ECU change-out, but this late, it depends on the dealer. Hopefully, that's been taken care of already.

Welcome to the site, too...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

It is the "Grey-Green". The guy who owned it before really must have been particular, it has the chrome valve stem caps with the BMW rondel in the center, the BMW rondel on the rear fender and a stealth backrest as well (just a nicely outfitted GT).

Actually, it runs perfectly just after it is started or has been running all day (doesn't matter). I would think that the ECU is OK. Is there any way to check? I think it was taken care of because the woman who sold it to me said that her husband did have issues with it when he bought it and had it back to the dealer a few times. She didn't know what the problems were and if they were resolved. I think these "unknowns" were part of the reason for the "as is" discount since the bike didn't run and was out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 2:34 am
Addict

Grey green is the fast colour!!Lucky find!Bringing back to life a K as excellent as that one has to be good for the karma of someone...you,or your predecessor.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:46 am

Some ECU's had issues, some didn't. BMW probably replaced a lot of ECU's that didn't need replacement in the first place, but some dealers went ahead and replaced ECU's on customer requests regardless of whether or not there was a problem with that particular bike. If it's starting up and running fine from a cold start, you're good.As for the color, it's kind of sad. But take heart in that it is fast...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:50 am
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW000
It is the "Grey-Green". The guy who owned it before really must have been particular, it has the chrome valve stem caps with the BMW rondel in the center, the BMW rondel on the rear fender and a stealth backrest as well (just a nicely outfitted GT).

Actually, it runs perfectly just after it is started or has been running all day (doesn't matter). I would think that the ECU is OK. Is there any way to check? I think it was taken care of because the woman who sold it to me said that her husband did have issues with it when he bought it and had it back to the dealer a few times. She didn't know what the problems were and if they were resolved. I think these "unknowns" were part of the reason for the "as is" discount since the bike didn't run and was out of warranty.
If you want to know the history of the bikes recall fixes, just give your local BMW dealer a call and the VIN. I got a bit paranoid about whether or not some safety mods had been done, and was given a list of about a dozen fixes ( including ECU replacement ) which set my mind considerably more at ease.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:01 am Thread Starter

EXCELLENT suggestion. I really did not focus on that because the dealership in which it was purchased is gone, but BMW itself must have the records. I will stop in and see about that.

I breezed through the posts on this forum and beleive these are the major things to look for;

Clutch Slave Cylinder Failure
Engine Rear Main Seal
Timing Cover Leaks
Transmission Input Shaft Seal
QD (already done)
ECU

Am I missing anything noteworthy?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Just one minor detail...if the slave cylinder went bad first, then the rear engine seal and/or transmission input seal, I wouldn't consider the seals a "failure". More like contamination from the brake fluid from the leaky slave cylinder. Granted, it's a seal replacement none-the-less, but I wouldn't put it in the catagory of "known failures".QD failures may be due to the bike going down on the right side. Doesn't happen right away, either. I can think of two intances, mine and another here who had a parking lot incident that I'm fairly certain he'd like to forget about...

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode