Laminar Lip for early k1200rs ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Laminar Lip for early k1200rs ?

Have any of you tried a laminar lip to move the flow of air over you ? I have the tall bmw shield and don't like it's flow. thanks 2000 k1200 rs red the fast color joesflashdog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 10:51 am
Addict

Lip

I have a Lip on my 2002RS with the GT windscreen. Laminar does make two lips. One for the stock screen and one for the early GT. I have used the Lip for the past two seasons and absolutely love it, what a difference. I'm on my second one. I highly recommend fastening it with the nylon bolts and nuts. Ask for the bolt kit when you order it. Ask for LEO, he's a cool guy and will take care of you. Mark where you want to place the lip and clamp a nail, of the same O.D. in a vise grip. Heat it with a bernz-o-matic and the nail will melt right through the screen. Don't heat it until it glows orange, just a little heat is all it takes. It does not look bad either and it won't fly off when a wind gust hits you at, oh say 85mph, on the highway and it blows off only to be devoured by several Lip hungry semi-trucks doing about the same speed. Not like that ever happened to me or anything. If you're going to use the 3M Dual-Loc then change it every year, it does wear out eventually. That's what happened to me, my fault. Well not really my fault since my father was an alcoholic retired circus clown who would beat me with rubber chickens after a night of drinking and midget bowling as a child. I'm better now.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 11:11 am
Noob

Lip works brilliantly on my GT . I have mounted mine 7 cm above standard screen height measured at middle point which allows me to ride at 80 mph visor up no trouble. Although seems a bit drastic i found the only way to fix securely was to drill proper fixings. unless you ride very slowly. The velcro fixings don't come off but they do let lip move to and fro causing damage to both screens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesflashdog
Have any of you tried a laminar lip to move the flow of air over you ? I have the tall bmw shield and don't like it's flow. thanks 2000 k1200 rs red the fast color joesflashdog
For winter riding I have mounted a Laminar Lip(with 3M dots) along with a GT windscreen to a '04KRS. For me, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Works great. I am 5'8",30" in-seam, have barbacks on and can see where, if you are tall I don't think your results will be as good as mine. I can ride with the faceshield wide open and get only a mild breeze and NO buffeting. This is the first time I have actually heard the engine at speed!

At it's highest point in the center, the Lip is 1 3/4" higher than the GT screen. The corners of the Lip are about even with the top of the GT screen.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:12 pm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2007, 4:54 pm
Addict

The Lip

I've mounted a lip on my classic GT, and love it. After first purchasing the GT, the roar of the swirling air drove me crazy. I'd rather not use ear plugs, but it was really bad. After installing the Lip, the air was much smoother coming off the top the the windscreen. The noise levels dropped a lot. I too lost one after a year or so of taking it on and off for cleaning. The velcro-like material lost its grip after the repeated mounts and dismounts. I lost it on a busy roadway and never recovered it. I ordered another with the plastic mounting bolts.....life is good again. The wife has an older RS with the standard screen and the comfort screen....I'll order a Lip soon for her comfort screen for the colder months. It ain't perfect, but it helps a lot.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 9:57 am
JIS

The LIP's not bad

Hi; I have the LIP mounted to my GT. Does it make a difference, YES, but it's far from perfect. However, for the price and ease of fitting, I am still reasonably happy.

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2007, 5:12 pm

lip is good

I am also using the Lip in the winter on my 2003 K12RS with the GT shield. I like it and it works ok. Better than without. I am using the industrial velcro and have had no problems with it coming off with speeds up to 100mph. Can't say beyond that because I NEVER go over 100mph. Actually, with BMW speedos I am probably not going over 100 when I think I am anyway.

Jamie
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2007, 12:55 pm
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBushman
[snip] Actually, with BMW speedos I am probably not going over 100 when I think I am anyway.
Yes it's rubbish isn't it. I now always use my Garmin SatNav as this is extremely accurate (it also signals where the "safety cameras" (speed traps) are, which si a huge benefit)

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2007, 9:52 am
Addict

working well

The lip will stick very well when you place it the first time....but as you remove and replace each time it will weaken the fit gradually. The plastic bolt and nuts are worthy of consideration or some other alternative to the "velcro" type fasteners.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2007, 2:30 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
Hi; I have the LIP mounted to my GT. Does it make a difference, YES, but it's far from perfect. However, for the price and ease of fitting, I am still reasonably happy.
Hi JIS and all i'm new to the "K" site and haven't a lot of time to read all these great experiences from everybody yet ( but i will eventually ) can you or somebody please tell me where i can see a catalogue or obtain info about this LIP, like you mine is the same 03 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode