Deal's Gap - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 9:11 am Thread Starter

Deal's Gap

Heading there for the first time this week. Any suggestions what to see or do? Good places to eat?

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 9:23 am
Enthusiast

Also ride the Cherahola. Really good resturant at the Tn end of the Cherahola. Bring some warm clothes as the Cherahola get over 5k feet and can be chilly.

Pete
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:42 am
Addict

Deals Gap

BE CAREFUL!!!! The road is full of Kenny Roberts Wanna-bees and there are many idiots. Ride the Gap during the week and stay away on the weekend. The place used to be nice and fun but it is so commercialized it's scary. There's a nice gift shop there, fuel and eats. The Law is now wearing riders out with tickets for speeding and stupidity, about time. Ride highway 28 into Bryson City, nice little bar in Bryson City across from the Great Smokie Railroad Depot. Continue into Cherokee and take 441 out of Cherokee into the Great Smokies Nation Park, great scenery. It'll dump you into Tennessee around Pigeon Forge, big tourist trap.
You cannot buy liquor or beer in the county where Deals Gap is located. The nearest beer is on 129 into Tennessee, Pumpkin Gap, BIG bummer. Cherokee is dry too, just the reservation area. Wheels Through Time Autoi/Motorcycle Museum is on the other side of Cherokee, highway 19. Have Fun.
I do know where the alcohol is, huh? Lol

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:32 pm
Veteran

Geezz.. Your timing sucks... Have you not heard about the crackdown that's going on down there?? Take cobblers advice and ride other roads.. The Dragon is virtually unrideable as cops are setup every freakin mile and are constantly moving.. It's been this way for the last 2 months. FYI... I'm one of those Kenny Roberts Wanna-bees that he was talking about and I don't even waste my time there any more..

Weekdays aren't much better than weekends. They have orders from the Tn Govenor to stop the madness...er.. fun and it's working. On weekends now there are virtually no sport bikes.. only cruisers. On week days they have 2-4 patrolling cruisers (instead of the weekends 8-9).. 1 is enough to spoil the fun.

The Dragon is my favorite road in all the world and I used to go about every 10 days to keep my track day reflexes sharp, but it's so bad now that the last 3 times I went down there I couldn't make a single pass without getting pulled over and on one pass I did get a ticket. I was pulled over for doing 32 in a 30.. Geezz. . my first ticket in over 200 trips to ride it..

Last week was the Deals Gap K12 rally.. I was there 4 days and didn't ride the dragon once. The cops (which now hang out at the Crossroads of Time) were telling us that we should stay off it on weekends..

The following is exerpts from my current newsletter... it kinda sums it up...

...The only negatives for the rally weekend were the latent fear of the local lawdogs, i.e. the Tennessee Highway Patrol which for the most part kept most of the rally attendees off the infamous Tail of the Dragon For the last few months the local police have had direct orders from Allah to halt all 2 wheeled fun on the dragon and as expected, they were out in force. Can you say.. "profiling"? I wonder why our airports can't legally do it but the Tennessee Hwy Patrol has carte blanc to do whatever they want with gleeful abandon? I wish somebody would sue their ass (and Gov Phil Bredesen) back to the stoneage. Anyone interested in a class-action lawsuit? Count me in.. Amazingly.. out of over 100 attendees, I heard of only one "velocity award" for our group and it was on the Cherohala. Congrats John O!

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but.. due to the fact that "Big Brother" has decided to shut down the fun on the dragon, the suits making these ridiculous policies have inadvertently forced the local sport bike crowd to disperse on to the other nearby twisty roads including the faster, more dangerous Cherohala. I saw speeding sport bikes on virtually every road our group was on although usually in my mirrors.. DOH! Before the crackdown, almost all the fast bikes were isolated to the dragon...Not any more! I think this is very cool and serves them right. In trying to stop our quasi-innocent fun on the one 11 mile stretch of road, they have created a similar "problem" on virtually every other road in the area. Geezz.. Stupid, stupid people and yes.. that includes the Gov of Tennessee who had a direct hand in the dragon crackdown and it's funding. What a maroon.

With that said.. there are lots of good roads to ride in the area.. including the wonderful Cherohala..
Robbinsville has a couple of good resturants, but I usually eat at the Topoco Resort on 129 about 1 mile down from the Dragon or if on the other side of the Cherohala.. at the Bistro..

Just make sure you have a radar detector... and as peteo said.. it'll be chilly up on the Cherohala...

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2007, 7:41 am
Rookie

Good advise. I have not ridden across 129 on a weekend in 4 years. If one more poser biker asks me if I have been to the gap.... I think I will tell them what I really think of the mess at the gap.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2007, 1:05 pm

Deal's Gap is finished, at least for the time being. It was abused badly and surprise of surprises, the LEO shut her down. There are actually better roads to ride in the area but the Carolina boys are out more also.

For anyone that hasn't ridden twisties, the whole area can be majorly hazardous. A lot of the wrecks there are people that can't turn a bike. FWIW.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Back from the gap on the Aprilla.................... I have to say that the roads in that area were the best I've ever ridden. Thanks to all that gave advise prior to the trip. We rode the gap Friday and it was basically deserted. Not many riders or cars to wait on so you could ride at your own pace and no cops either, not one the whole day. After a few passes to get the layout.......... we tore it up. Even though we did stay in our own lane and had to watch for others crossing the line.................. It was a real kick in the ass dragging a knee. The other roads in the area were just as much fun but in a different way. The Cherahola Skyway and Foothills Parkway were high speed sweepers. You can do triple digits on them if you want to risk it...............and we did a few times. The real bummer is that the weekend at the more popular roads such as the Skyway and Gap, were over run with way too many bike, cars, truck and what ever else came through. We left after only one run thru the gap due to the congestion and the 10 cops that were on every fifth or sixth turn. That was very disappointing. So we left after we met a local kid on an R1 from Pigeon Forge when he offered to show us the unknown roads in the area that we basically deserted. That was a great time and a lot of miles covered. We rode all Saturday with him.

One last thing................I'd like to hear from those who have left the area with the same kind of souvenir I came home with. A print out from the North Carolina State Troopers stating a 71 in a 45 mph on the Skyway. I'm not too bummed out though. I'm just glad he didn't tag me during the real high speed runs we made and got away with. It's a risk you accept when you decide to rip it up. And we did. So be it.

One last thing............A big THANK YOU to the Tennessee trooper that let me pass on a wheelie out of a turn while on the Dragon. I didn't even see him until the front end came down and I was headed straight for him. He was just standing there at the next turn as I slowed to a crawl and passed him by. I was expecting him to reach out and stop me, but he let me pass without any acknowledgement of what I had just done on front of him. Thanks again buddy. Who says they are all pin heads?

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

Last edited by bluestreak; Oct 15th, 2007 at 4:27 pm.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 5:30 pm
Veteran

I just love it when you guys talk up the eastern roads. It makes me so jealous!!!!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak
... we tore it up. Even though we did stay in our own lane and had to watch for others crossing the line.................. It was a real kick in the ass dragging a knee. The other roads in the area were just as much fun but in a different way. The Cherahola Skyway and Foothills Parkway were high speed sweepers. You can do triple digits on them if you want to risk it...............and we did a few times. The real bummer is that the weekend at the more popular roads such as the Skyway and Gap, were over run with way too many bike, cars, truck and what ever else came through. We left after only one run thru the gap due to the congestion and the 10 cops that were on every fifth or sixth turn. That was very disappointing. So we left after we met a local kid on an R1 from Pigeon Forge when he offered to show us the unknown roads in the area that we basically deserted. That was a great time and a lot of miles covered. We rode all Saturday with him.

One last thing................I'd like to hear from those who have left the area with the same kind of souvenir I came home with. A print out from the North Carolina State Troopers stating a 71 in a 45 mph on the Skyway. I'm not too bummed out though. I'm just glad he didn't tag me during the real high speed runs we made and got away with. It's a risk you accept when you decide to rip it up. And we did. So be it.

One last thing............A big THANK YOU to the Tennessee trooper that let me pass on a wheelie out of a turn while on the Dragon. I didn't even see him until the front end came down and I was headed straight for him. He was just standing there at the next turn as I slowed to a crawl and passed him by. I was expecting him to reach out and stop me, but he let me pass without any acknowledgement of what I had just done on front of him. Thanks again buddy. Who says they are all pin heads?

Triple digit speeds, dragging knees and passing a car with the front end in the air in front of a cop and then you wonder why there are so many cops all over the Dragon??? And they are pinheads??

This is a joke right?

Dave.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:04 am
Veteran

Sure glad that you guys have all those twisty roads in the eastern US. Golly, I'll bet there is even tee-shirt stands on both ends of the ride so you have something to remember.

You guys keep talking it up....

Oh, here's western US twisties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#66 west to Amboy.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	6405  

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode