Newbie buys a K12RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2007, 6:44 am Thread Starter
Faster than poop

Newbie buys a K12RS

Hi Everybody,

I just bought a 2002 k1200RS, a black one with ABS, cruise, and under 2300 miles. The first owner parked it in his garage and just didn't ride it.

It has a dead battery, which is no surprise. So, besides replacing the battery, what else should I do? Replace the brake fluid? Lube the spline? At 2300 miles, is it even broken in yet?

From what I've read on this forum, I know I'm going to love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2007, 9:39 am
Will ride for picts

Wow! Nice find! No need to "lube the splines." That's an issue for another generation of K-bikes. I would replace all fluids, including clutch, brake, engine oil, transmission, and final drive. Keep an eye on the tires too, they're probably a bit hard and chunky by now.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
Wow! Nice find! No need to "lube the splines." That's an issue for another generation of K-bikes. I would replace all fluids, including clutch, brake, engine oil, transmission, and final drive. Keep an eye on the tires too, they're probably a bit hard and chunky by now.
This is Excellant advice. LISTEN TO IT. Don't start riding / driving on 5 year old fluids and lubes assuming.. "It'll all be ok."

Yes... You will love it. I bought a used 2002 a little over a year ago. Put 20k on it already.

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2007, 8:55 pm
Rookie

Right there with you. Bought the identical bike about 3 weeks ago. Have put about 1500 awesome miles on it since. Changed out all fluids (brake, coolant {done at dealer}, engine, transmission, final drive {myself}) and absolutely love the bike. You're in for a great experience. Have fun.

Mike
08 K1200S Nachtschwartz
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2007, 6:28 pm Thread Starter
Faster than poop

Can I bleed the brakes?

Thanks for the advice and good wishes!

I was wondering if I can replace the brake fluid myself, or whether BMW service needs to do it. Something about if it's gen-2 ABS or integrated brakes? My favorite dealer can't get to it for another two weeks.

I'm not sure I can wait that long, and the weather isn't getting any better for riding in New England.

And, is there a good source for service manuals?

Thanks again!

Brian
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2007, 1:46 pm
Looking for better limits...

Not for the faint-of-heart

First off, I've done it (with supervision ). It takes a few hours, and you're bleeding a lot of brake circuits. For the first time, I'd suck it in and wait the two weeks and have the dealer (~$350 IIRC, mostly labor). If the brake fluid is ruby red but clear, you're fine for a while. If, though, it's black, it's time for a change.

Supervision was by Gary Hollinger, the guy that wrote this proceedure for doing it yourself. Plan on having someone assist if you got this route.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2007, 7:06 pm
Rookie

Brake system, clutch and coolant flush took the dealer about 4 hours. There were a few breaks, but I was there for their open-house so I watched much of the job, and overall, the tech kept pretty busy with it. A clutch basket replacement on a Ducati went much quicker (next bay over). It's a lot of work to do it right. All tupperware removed, etc. The good news...the tab was $240. Much better than I expected. Two minor recall items were addressed also. Kudos to Touringsport BMW (Greenville, SC).

Mike
08 K1200S Nachtschwartz
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:57 am Thread Starter
Faster than poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
First off, I've done it (with supervision ). It takes a few hours, and you're bleeding a lot of brake circuits. For the first time, I'd suck it in and wait the two weeks and have the dealer (~$350 IIRC, mostly labor). If the brake fluid is ruby red but clear, you're fine for a while. If, though, it's black, it's time for a change.

Supervision was by Gary Hollinger, the guy that wrote this proceedure for doing it yourself. Plan on having someone assist if you got this route.
Thanks for the procedure; maybe some day I'll work up the courage to give it a try. I already consider changing the fluid on my R100 a PITA. The fluid in the rear reservoir is clear and the color of honey, not red or black.

But this time I think I'll let the dealer give the bike a once-over, it will make me feel better. It's cheap insurance from my point of view.

Too bad the bike didn't come with an owner's manual. Is there any place to find one besides the dealer?

Thanks again!

Brian

Live fast. Eat carrots.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:17 pm
Looking for better limits...

I don't have the manual (yet), but based on the chanting and mantra's from this site, I'd say getting the Clymer manual would be the best one to go for. Different reference, but sometimes it's good to have two, would be to get the Haynes manual as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Try Hammersley

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_rabbits
Too bad the bike didn't come with an owner's manual. Is there any place to find one besides the dealer?
Hammersley has decent pricing on parts. They seem to have most everything that has a BMW part number. As far as service manuals go, the Clymer book is the real deal. I've seem them on eBay for about $35 plus shipping. Amazon wants list ($50) for the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode