rear shock? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

rear shock?

I have a couple of ? what exactly does the pre-load do? how can you tell if the shock is bad? can it be tested or recharged. were can i find initial suspension set up info or how to make adjustments?. I was riding with my brother (on his bike )and was watching the back of my bike and it looked like a pogo stick. also feels like the front and back are doing 2 dif thing in a turn.. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:01 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle2112
I have a couple of ? what exactly does the pre-load do? how can you tell if the shock is bad? can it be tested or recharged. were can i find initial suspension set up info or how to make adjustments?. I was riding with my brother (on his bike )and was watching the back of my bike and it looked like a pogo stick. also feels like the front and back are doing 2 dif thing in a turn.. Any help would be great.
"Search" is your friend. There're a few posts covering this...
Short version
  1. Preload is for putting the shock 1/3 into it's downward travel based on the load it's carrying.
  2. It's very bad if there's no damping (resistance) when compressed or it's being returned from compression via rebound.
  3. Yes, it can be tested off the bike, too
  4. Not the stock ones. Same can go through an expensive modification to become rebuildable in the future. Better off with Ohlins or Wilbers replacement
  5. Search on "shock" or "shock adjustment" Example
  6. Pogostick is not good. The rear may have lost the magic fluid. If so, replace it. Replace the front as well, too.
  7. Shocks doing two different things? Front may be in better shape than the rear
What year is the bike? How many miles on the bike? OEM shocks are usually ready for the scrap bin after 30k miles/48km

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Last edited by Razel; Oct 15th, 2007 at 8:13 pm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2007, 5:30 am Thread Starter

it is an 04gt with 13,000 mls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2007, 9:47 am

13k is a bit early, but they do fail. You might check with a dealer if you still have the 36k/3 year warranty in effect. They may say it's a wear item if it's indeed lost all of it's fluid, or they may replace it. Outside of warranty, I would first turn the triangular knob at the base of the rear shock fully clockwise, bounce the rear suspension, then fully counter-clockwise. Bounce it again and see if there's a difference. If there's no difference, the magic fluid is gone. One will allow the bike to come back up quickly (and probably pogo a bit) the other setting will cause the suspension to rise slowly. No fluid and all you have working is the spring.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2007, 8:23 am Thread Starter

venting

Well Ive got to say im really pissed off .I cant believe this company cant make a decent rear shock. If your going to make a shock that fail at 13,000 mls( yes ) how about offering a suspention upgrade when you buy the bike. If you think about it the bike only has 1.5 years of on the road use because of weather. they make cars that never have suspention failure,or that need plugs at 12,000mls, what crap... . and why not cross train some car techs to do bike service at the car dealer instead of makeing us ride for ever for service. im sorry I expected more from BMW then this. Well i feel a little better ,(except my pocket book)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:56 am

it not cheap

It is a bit frustrating but owning a BMW is not cheap. I'm not sure I want a car mechanic working on my bike. I think its a bit more than cross training, motorcycles and cars are two very different machines. Regarding the shocks, I replaced front and rear at 25K. You should get more than 13K. If the shock has indeed "failed" than it seems to me that you would have a valid complaint. I have not heard of shocks "failing" this soon.

Jamie
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:33 pm

I had the front shock replaced at the 600 mile service. No idea what the failure was as it was covered under warranty, but while I had to wait for a OEM shock to be delivered, I got a Wilbers installed instead. Had to buy the Wilbers, but the installation was free.

Don't know about 13k miles. I'd ask the dealer. While it's considered a wear item, I have to think there's some range before it'd be considered "worn".

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

they said its not after 12 months
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:55 pm

Get a Wilbers or Ohlins. Good shocks, rebuildable, far better ride than the Showa's you got with the bike.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2007, 12:34 pm

My rear shock wore out at 18K miles. I went ahead and replace both front and rear shocks and springs! The reason this bike came with such modest suspension...was to keep the price under 20 grand. I did the install myself. However, I just had all the seals replaced under warranty including the head gasket, two leaky intake manifolds, one cracked intake maniford, a transmission output seal, a timing chain cover seal, some new fuel lines, and an oil breather line. No more warranty....hope it's good for another 25K miles!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode