BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

I feel the need,,,,,,For a Seat

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  DJW000 
#1 ·
I am looking to get a new seat for my 04 GT. I need to know if anybody knows were to get a good aftermarket seat----with heat---- if possible. I like the Corbin, however they do not make it with heat......
The issue I have with the current seat is that it pushes me too far forward.

Any suggestions.

#5 ·
only one seat

i went thru the aftermarket seat thing, corbin, sargent and could have saved a bit of money if i had listened. for all day riding, i finally had to go to a russell. best move i ever made. remember, for true riders, form follows function. i can ride from tampa to boone, nc, nonstop, walk in my house and feel like i have been in an easy chair for 12hrs. trust me..........

#6 ·
Seat

Hey Stefan,
Have you researched these guys? http://kontourseat.com/_wsn/page3.html I have one for my 2000 K1200RS. Great quality and workmanship. I did 13 hrs. in the saddle last year when I went to the BMW rally in Vermont, from Charlotte NC. Not sure about the heat. Give them a call or drop them an e-mail, they are great people and respond quickly. :D

#7 ·
BCDon said:
I think that Corbin now makes heated seats for the K1200GT.
I spoke to Brian at Corbin yesterday for about 20 minutes. He stated that demand is not there to make a heated seat for the Classic version. They do have them on there site fro the new bikes

#9 ·
motorrad4fun said:
I am looking to get a new seat for my 04 GT. I need to know if anybody knows were to get a good aftermarket seat----with heat---- if possible. I like the Corbin, however they do not make it with heat......
I had Rick Mayer make the seat for my '04 GT 2 years ago. I had the same concern as you. I had him add foam to the front, which took care of it for me. Heat is maintained. No regrets. Go to http://www.rickmayercycle.com. He used my seat in his "saddle gallery".....click on "K12RS/GT" in the BMW listing.
:ricky

#10 ·
milkman said:
I had Rick Mayer make the seat for my '04 GT 2 years ago. I had the same concern as you. I had him add foam to the front, which took care of it for me. Heat is maintained. No regrets. Go to http://www.rickmayercycle.com. He used my seat in his "saddle gallery".....click on "K12RS/GT" in the BMW listing.
:ricky
I belive that this may be the ticket for me. I spoke to Ken there today for about 30 minutes and found them to be most knowledgable about the whole thing, and, I get to keep the heat :dance: :dance:

Any more suggestions from anybody before I jump in on this

Thank you again for your input on this milkman, by the by, is the seat in the picture leather. If so, any reason for this, I was thinking about Basket Weave vinyl

#11 ·
cobbler said:
Hey Stefan,
Have you researched these guys? http://kontourseat.com/_wsn/page3.html I have one for my 2000 K1200RS. Great quality and workmanship. I did 13 hrs. in the saddle last year when I went to the BMW rally in Vermont, from Charlotte NC. Not sure about the heat. Give them a call or drop them an e-mail, they are great people and respond quickly. :D
This also looked good, however no heat with this company

#13 ·
motorrad4fun said:

Any suggestions.
I have a 04 GT and I purchased a Russell Day Long Seat with heat and a driver backrest - I LOVE IT!!

I have done 13 hour runs (with wife) and we were tired but OK. the seat works great.

Here are a couple of photos of the rig:
1- bike with seat
2 - close uo of seat with driver backrest
3 - seat prior to backrest installation (had it done later)

Attachments

#14 ·
Hello:

Replaced my stock seat with a Russell Daylong Touring seat and just LOVE IT.

It is heated and also has a driver backrest (removable). I also had Russell make a backrest to replace the stock BMW backrest on the RT topcase (which I added to my GT after I changed out the luggage rack).

Here are a couple of photos of the seat.

Attachments

#15 ·
May Want Your Old Seat

Hi to all posters on this thread:

Can't pull the trigger now, (waiting on UPS to settle a damaged in transit claim) but I am in the market for a stock seat for my 2003 K1200rs. I will want a seat in near pristine condition as I want to have a backup seat for my ride. While somewhat weird, I do LOVE the standard seat and have put 17,000 miles on it....short trips and 600 mile ones. I also have a Corbin with the backrest for the times my wife rides with me...and I like that too...not heated of course.

So, PM me some time if you have one to sell.

Steve

#17 ·
I have one, but other than the seat on the '91 K75RT I used to have, I havent' been on any other seat. I've not felt the need to replace it, it's good for 750 mile days, and it's been on the bike for 100k miles so far. Can sit down for dinner with no issues at the end of the day...

#18 ·
THANKS for the input Razel! I have put some some miles behind the bars of my 03' GT and have noted some areas of minor disappointment (many positive things as well). The seat was one of these issues. It seems to be a little firm, but more annoying is that it seems to push you toward the tank too much. I find my self adjusting my seat position very often when I ride to avoid that nut splitting posture that eventually creeps up on you.

I like the look of the factory seat with it's very smooth form that just sort of intergrates into the bikes bodywork (rather than the many aftermarket seats which look, well... aftermarket). When I saw that BMW offered the "comfort seat" in a high and low profile (and retained the heat option) I was very interested. I am a tall fellow so the slightly higher one would be great. The slightly higher seat may help add some leg room without the need to lower the pegs (one less aftermarket add-on to contend with). I like the fact that they look like the original seat as well! I kinda surprised that BMW just didn't put it on the GT in the first place.

#20 · (Edited)
DJW000 said:
I have put some some miles behind the bars of my 03' GT and have noted some areas of minor disappointment (many positive things as well). The seat was one of these issues.
Ok, the seat on the '03 GT is the comfort seat. What you have may be the low seat if you bought it used, otherswise, you got the good seat. But, it has two settings, high and low. I set mine to the high position when I'm going on an all-day ride. Not for my butt, but for my knees. Pegs are adjustible, too, so if you have a low seat, in the low position, with the pegs in the high position, at the height you're at...I don't want to look.

I believe the seat height difference is 1½ inches. In the high position, you should be fine, but you might want to be sure the pegs are in the low position.

To put the seat in the "up" position, unlock the seat so that it's not connected, then push it down in the rear...it will latch. The front can be raised or lowered. Pull the seat up against the stop, then shove forward until it latches. Keep in mind that you're probably on the side stand or center stand, and too much "shove" can bring unpleasant results. If it latches, sit on it. Bring the kick stand or center stand up so that your feet are on the ground, and you're bearing weight on the seat. Then put the kickstand down. Check that the kick stand is fully displaced. You're supposed to be at a different height, and if you aren't used to it, the kick stand may not be fully deployed.

Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

#21 ·
Hi Razel,

Thanks for the input!

Yeah... I have pretty much read the whole manual and have reviewed many of the posts here about the ergo's of the bike and have tried various settings. I have heard so many positive things about the K12GT that I think many of my initial riding complaints were a combination of misconception of the bike (kinda had an expectation of Gold Wing smoothness with sport bike handling and agility..... wrong) and me personally just being a little out of shape (too much pushing a track ball around at work). I have to admit, things are better since I have learned about the 4k rpm vibration zone, how to keep my torso weight off my palms and I think a little physical fitness will help with the heavy steering at low speeds.

The pegs are at the lowest position as is the seat (handlebars are stock as well). I am 6ft tall @190lbs with an inseam of 34". I think the pegs are best at low position for me and I don't feel the need for a lowering kit as my legs are not feeling terribly cramped. I tried the seat in the high position and acheived some added legroom while riding while still being able to fully touch the ground when stopped. The only down fall with this is that I catch more headwind over the windshield and while stopped, I can't stand up enough to relive any pressure between me and the seat. I may keep on experimenting a bit, but I think I may put the seat up if I plan to be on the freeway for hours but use the low for more stop and go riding and backroad twisties.

I feel pretty comfortable with the handlebars. I see that there has been a lot of posts here debating the barback issue. My arms are pretty long (tend to hear a mens "tall" jacket) so the reach for the bars is not drastic. Although I tend to like a "neutral" riding position more so than the "sport" position, I would fear that barbacks may make the heavy steering issue worse. I guess I would have to try it to see if they were really for me or not. I think push-ups are the best remedy :) .

I am glad to know that the GT actually had the comfort seat. That comes as a surprise because the comfort seat is listed in the accessories catalog for the GT (in a high and low version). I was under the assumption that the GT had the same seat as the RS and the comfort seat high or low were two options offered by BMW. Thanks for steering me straight on that topic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.