Bar Back opinions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bar Back opinions

I am going to pick up an 2003 RS. I have been riding a k1200lt and f650gs. I prefer an upright/standard riding position. Can I get some experienced opinions on bar backs and risers? Oh, I am 5'9'' with 30 inseam if anybody is same size your opinions would really be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:40 am
Enthusiast

I'm 5'9" and have a 30" inseam but ride a GT instead of the RS but can still give you a good opinion. First, the barbacks obviously won't help anything with your inseam. Second, the RS has a slightly more forward lean than my GT, but there a bar risers that will raise them up enough to get some of the weight off your hands. Pirate's Lair has some on it's site as well as others. Try riding a bit with the stock bars first to get a feel for that position and how the bike handles. I did that with my GT and found that I still preferred to be more upright, but some have posted that just getting used to the position was all that was needed. Also, when you put barbacks on you are raising the bars up and slightly back from the original position. I found that this makes me feel a little less "connected" to the front wheel when in a corner, but got used to the difference after only a couple of days. I don't think you will need to change throttle or brake lines to accomodate the risers available for the RS, but I may be mistaken.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
I'm 5'9" and have a 30" inseam but ride a GT instead of the RS but can still give you a good opinion. First, the barbacks obviously won't help anything with your inseam. .

I was hoping they would make me look taller! Probably good advice on riding a while. I will be on Pirates Lair this afternoon to get the back seat back, unless somebody tells me of a better option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji3
I am going to pick up an 2003 RS. I have been riding a k1200lt and f650gs. I prefer an upright/standard riding position. Can I get some experienced opinions on bar backs and risers? Oh, I am 5'9'' with 30 inseam if anybody is same size your opinions would really be good.
Theres nothing upright and standard about the riding position on the KRS. I just started riding a KRS after 60K miles on a R1150GS. It is completely different, and there was nothing about the GS riding position that I could bring to the RS. The first several hundred miles on the RS I tried to ride it like a GS, hunched over and weight on my arms, it killed me. And my RS has some small 60mm Verholen barbacks. Then my riding coach (my wife) strongly recommended that I totally change my riding position using the following:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...0560/type/post

It didn't take long, just a few rides and some practice in the garage, and it was a whole new experience. Try using this in learning to ride your new KRS for a little while before trying to change the bike to accommodate an upright riding position.
Good luck - FlagRS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:44 am
Veteran

Quote:

I ride a '04KRS and have put just under 40,000mi. on it in 27mos. I'm 5'8" and have a 30" inseam and just signed up for Medicare.
I found that using a 30mm. barback was one of the best modifications I could have made to the bike. Not only did they ease my forward lean a bit, but helped my neck muscles. You will not get anywhere close to the bolt-upright riding style of your other rides.

A 30mm. American Machine barback requires NO changes to controls, hyd. lines or wiring. Any larger offset does require changes.

If your '03 has the stock seat, you may or may not like it's comfort. There are many options if you chose to change it. I would hold off on the seat back for a while.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Oct 18th, 2007 at 10:49 am.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I was hoping they would make me look taller! Probably good advice on riding a while. I will be on Pirates Lair this afternoon to get the back seat back, unless somebody tells me of a better option.
Well, if you think you may want more luggage space then get a Givi V46 with the backrest pad. My wife likes that setup a lot. It's not very often that I have to pack both side bags and the Givi, but it's great to have it. Actually, I've gotten to where I leave the V46 on the bike and don't mount the side bags often. This helps me when pulling in the garage (too wide with the bags on) and also keeps me from feeling like I'm riding a brick wall down the road when the side bags are on. Those things are W I D E!

'03 K1200GT

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2007, 3:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
Well, if you think you may want more luggage space then get a Givi V46 with the backrest pad. !
My wife and I test drove bikes with both the stealth back rest and a givi. The givi was "loose" according to her. Maybe it just needed tightening but I decided I didn't really want the bike (it was a 1999 RT) and she loved the Stealth back rest on a GT we tested. She let me trade in her f650 so I will probably get the stealth even if it is wrong!

My bike has the white pannier covers, I understand they were some pricey option and they are a lot smaller. The dealer was trying to sell me a new set of the other covers but I am holding off for now.

Just drove the bike back from Raleigh. one word. SWEET!
I was very pleasently suprised at how comfortable I was with the riding position. Before going "upright" I had a cruiser and just knew I like upright much better than the modified chopper thing the cruisers go for.

Thanks for all the input! I will do a search, but, does anybody have thoughts on Windshield mods?

Last edited by haji3; Oct 18th, 2007 at 3:47 pm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:02 pm
Addict

Comfort

Hey Haji,
I too came from an LT and proceeded to try and make my '02 RS like the LT. I started with the windscreen which I immediately replaced with the BMW comfort screen and then went right to adding a Laminar Lip. That's the cheapest way to get the wind off of you and reduce noise. There are better set-ups out there but be prepared to open the wallet. I installed American Machine 30mm Bar back and had them for a while but there are two things that happen. They get your head more into the wind and you lose hand protection from the wind, GT hand guards help this but just a bit. I slowly got away from the bar backs and am now riding back in the stock position. It takes some getting use to but I have no problems. You will have neck strain if you have a heavy helmet, I use an Arai. I'll let you try the bar backs if you like but I would give the stock set-up a chance, at least a few thousand miles. Contact me if you want to try the backs. I can be more aggressive with the stock bar configuration and steering input is much better, for me. If you're going to ride two-up and just cruise around, go back to the LT. If you want to burn it up for long distances, the RS is it. I'm no spring chicken with a bad knee and I can ride for most of the day with no problems.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:25 am
Rookie

Quote:
I have an '07 GT that I installed Suburban-Machinery barbacks on and for me it was a big improvement to get the weight off of my hands and relieve neck strain. I'm just a geezer that needs a more upright positon like I had on my RT.

Compared to the stock "high" position the Suburban "high" position brought them 3/4" higher and 1 7/8" closer

'07 K1200GT
'98 R1100RT Sold
'00 Honda F4 Sold
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 3:28 pm

I have the 30 mm American Machine backs on my '04 RS. I'm 5'7" w/29" inseam, so they do make a difference for me - less back/neck strain. I have the Sargent seat and the Stealth backrest for my bike and according to my passengers - girlfriend, daughter and a buddy's wife - they all give it the thumbs up. My g/f and daughter both said the RS w/the backrest is more comfortable than my HD Road King that also has a backrest.

A couple of weeks back when I passed through Everett, PA, I stopped at a store specializing in sheepskin stuff. I ended up buying a seat cover for the RS. I always thought they looked kind of silly, but if it made my butt feel better...
It was definitely a good call, made the long ride to Pittsburgh a lot more comfortable and the cover is a very dark gray/blue, so it isn't that noticable on the bike.

http://www.sheepskincountrystore.com/sheepskin.shtml

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode