Rear Brake Hose Rubbing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 5:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

Rear Brake Hose Rubbing

Hi again,
In my recent posting about my slow running concerns, I also mentioned that I had discovered my rear brake master cylinder to slave cylinder hose rubbing on the swing arm such that it had already rubbed through the rubber sheathing. This was because the hose was held in a clip which held it out too far. I removed the clip and used a cable tie to secure it out of the way.
I asked if anyone else had come accross the problem but in the responses that I had nobody seemed to pick it up, so I thought that I had better re-highlight it as it seems to be an important safety issue. Any comments?
Neville Goldsmith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 9:08 am

Yes... I'm glad that I am not the only one. I was cleaning my bike after a long Sunday ride and saw a vertical black rubber mark on the wing arm (a definite rubbing sort of mark). I looked to see that it was the hose from the master cylinder reservoir to the cylinder itself that was rubbing. What really surprised me was the fact that BMW put a plastic holder in place that appeared to hold the feed tube right in harms way! I made my modification as well.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:03 am
Addict

Can you both post some pics?

I just looked at mine, early KRS. I've got a thinner stainless braided line between the slave and master cylinder and it seems nowhere near the swingarm. If the pillion was mounted with an elephant I can see a remote posibility with the suspension bottomed, but I still think mine is clear.

The rear brake reservoir outlet at the bottom is offset and mine is turned furthest away from the swingarm. This hose is then held with a plastic clip to the slave to master cylinder hose. The clip holds the 2 hoses pretty close to each other. If I ever thought the spacing was too much, I might have reduced it rather than fit a tiewrap, but I can't remember.

I did have an issue when I fitted an after market hugger, but that was a hugger problem.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 9:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Photos

Sorry Voxmagna, I took three pictures which I have been trying to post but, try as I might I'm damned if I can work out how to get them attached to a reply.
I followed all the procedure to "attach files" and " manage attachments " but to no avail !! I guess it's got something to do with being 69 years young and computer illiterate !! I could e-mail them to you for you to post if you would be prepared to disclose your e-mail address to me.
Neville.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:11 am
Addict

I'm not far behind still learning and getting the riding aches and pains!

You have to resize any photos first in your photo editor package to say 800 pixels wide and 400 pixels high. Then save as a JPEG medium to low compression ending up with a photo file of about 60-70 kilobytes. Some photo editors have a 'save as for web' funtion which does this for you. Nobody will thank you to get big files jamming their email inbox, so see how to do this.

The board won't upload the big files straight off the camera. When you get your 3 files around this size, then just select 'Manage Attachments' and browse to where your (smaller) files are . Close the window when they finish uploading and go back to look at your post in preview and the photo filenames should appear in blue at the bottom. When happy, hit 'Submit Reply'.

If you want to play about testing your pics and uploading, go to the Test Forum here to try out your pics first, then repeat for real on the Forum. You'll see you are not alone.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Photos help everybody see and understand the problem.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 2:58 pm

I have put the pictures up of my brake lines as I found them (before modification).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Line 001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	6497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Line 002.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	6498   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200GT 14.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	6499  

Last edited by DJW000; Oct 29th, 2007 at 3:08 pm.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Addict

DJW000, I said I'd fitted Goodridge lines so I would have been careful to check the swingarm didn't rub (which it doesn't).

The first difference is my clip holding the reservoir pipe is on the top line to the rear slave.

The second difference is I've angled my line from the master cylinder just by setting the union bolts so that line moves away from the swingarm. I might also have shortened the oem plastic clip, but I can't remember.

I can see at least a 40-50 mm gap between the master cyl line and the swingarm, but my lines are not very thick and stiff enough to take the shape you set them to with the banjo bolts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 9:34 pm

Interesting...

The pictures represent the way the bike was built "as new" from BMW. I simply removed the clip and zip tied the hose away from the swingarm. Everything seems to be fine.

I'm curious if Neville's arrangement was similar to mine.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2007, 4:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

Photos

From looking at DJW000's photos, I would say that my set up was identical. The positioning of the original clip was just the same, holding the hose at the point where the swingarm casting starts to widen out and thus allowing it to hit. The photos that I have been trying to post show that mine, having been like it for 12,500 or so miles, had suffered much more wear to both the hose and the paintwork.
Thanks Voxmagna for the info on reducing the pixel size of my pictures, if I can find out how to do it, I will give it a go but don't hold your breath as my computer skills don't extend that far at the moment.
Neville.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2007, 5:54 am
Addict

A rare warm Sunny day here so I took a couple of pics. Remember I have Goodridge lines and it's a '97 KRS.

First I notice the Goodridge master cyl. line is longer, on a loop, and the union angle looks reversed compared to oem. I didn't remember it looking different to the original rubber line I took off.

Second I notice both the reservoir and master cyl. lines drop down at about -45 degrees, which in my case keeps them well clear of the swingarm.

I suspect you both want to know if all stock bikes are like yours? Personally I'd first try slackening the unions and turn them to see if you can get the lines at angles well away from the swingarm.

I've had the rear and brake lines off so many times I really can't remember what the oem was like now. Each time I just put everything back to get maximum clearance with soft curves and no kinks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	6506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	6507  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode