Oil Weeping - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 3:25 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Oil Weeping

Had the belly pan off yesterday for an oil change (I run BMW Syn. exclusively) and noticed oil weepage (misting?) at the left forward engine case area. What's the usual culprit for any oil seepage in this specific area? I have been reading MANY posts on seals but haven't been able yet to find any info. on the appropriate seal for this particular location.

Best view of the problem area would be to lay down next to/under the machine with your head positioned towards the front tire. Looking up at the engine block from below I see the oil on the right-front of the motor's lower fins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2007, 3:44 pm
Veteran

Cam chain cover???

Best thing you can do right now is clean the area with Simple Green or other good liquid spray cleaner and watch it VERY closely.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:11 am
Addict

been there, done that

if it is a seal problem, weeping will be at the metal seams between engine/tranny/clutch junctions. your problem doesnt sound like seals. wipe all clean, ride for a while, and recheck. look close at historic probem areas, like front timing cover gasket. my '04kgt been in shop for warranty seals twice, so i speak with a bit of authority. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:33 am
Addict

Been there done that

I had a slight timing cover weep for over 10K miles. It helped to oil the front swingarm bearings so they came out easier! Slight weeps aren't worth getting too worked up about unless you have a warranty running out.

Perhaps you just keep an eye on it and plan the fix with other work like I did e.g valve clearance checks/chain tensioner. The only oil seal in that area is the crank seal and if that had gone (less likely) you'ld be seeing oil around the timing cover on the front right side. So it's either the rubber camshaft cover gasket, or the timing cover (most likely). You should also clean the area around the oil/water pump housing and oil cooler ports and run the bike on the stand to 'fans on' and check.

Now I can wipe my timing cover seam with a white tissue and see no oil.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode