RS ABS problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2007, 7:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question RS ABS problem

Hi all. I have a problem with my abs (2000 RS 1200), the sensor lights stay on after starting. A couple of times, I restarted then the lights went off but now remain on. So, after searching previous posts, I reckon it's because of a recent rear tyre change, possibly the rear sensor is not seated properly.

However, I am getting a hissing sound when the brakes are applied and I'm hearing this from the front. Just serviced, the mechanic says it's a front wheel bearing but I think he's wrong - I'm sure it's ABS related. Anyone had any similar experience? I'm quite happy to explore the problem myself but would like to know what I'm looking for in advance. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 3:32 pm

Check the obvious stuff first:

(1) Is your battery getting tired - low voltage when starting the bike can result in ABS faults.

(2) Check the brake fluid level in both the front and rear reservoirs- if either has run dry you could need a system flush & fill (note - as the brake pads wear, the fluid level will go down - doesn't mean you have a leak, just worn pads)

(3) Check the abs sensor gap (you should have a feeler gauge in your tool kit and the owner's manual gived the procedure and spec.

(4) Last (but not least) - when was the last time the system was flushed? - the rubber brake hoses on earlier K bikes can react w/ the brake fluid and turn in into a gummy mess that will cause pistons in the ABS modulator to stick - the cure could be to give your dealer a few $100 to flush the system if you're not up to doing it yourself.

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 4:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

RE: RS ABS Problem

(1) Is your battery getting tired - low voltage when starting the bike can result in ABS faults.

The battery definately needs to be replaced. A month away from the bike last August and the alarm flashing light drained the battery to 'dead'. So that's one thing to do.

(2) Check the brake fluid level in both the front and rear reservoirs- if either has run dry you could need a system flush & fill (note - as the brake pads wear, the fluid level will go down - doesn't mean you have a leak, just worn pads)

The bike has just been serviced (at a cost of €650!). The mechanic knows what he is doing (I believe) as he was the head mechanic at a BMW dealer until recently. New pads were fitted front and rear so I have to pesume that fluid levels were checked.

(3) Check the abs sensor gap (you should have a feeler gauge in your tool kit and the owner's manual gived the procedure and spec.

If the gap is wrong (and I personally believe this could well be the cause because of the hissing sound from the front as the brakes are applied), how is the gap changed?

(4) Last (but not least) - when was the last time the system was flushed? - the rubber brake hoses on earlier K bikes can react w/ the brake fluid and turn in into a gummy mess that will cause pistons in the ABS modulator to stick - the cure could be to give your dealer a few $100 to flush the system if you're not up to doing it yourself.

I would guess never. So I now know that there are at least 3 different things that could cause the problem in my case. Reading the cost of an ABS replacement controller unit in earlier posts, I hope it's one of the above.

The people I work for are mostly deceased: Beethoven, Bizet, Brahms, Bruckner.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:47 pm
Addict

When you had the rear tire hanged they may have removed the rear caliper, some don't but I find it makes the job easier. If this happened, the caliper carries the rear sensor and there's sufficient tolerance in the caliper bolt holes to change the sensor gap.

Make sure there's no play in the rear wheel bearing by holding the wheel and trying to move it up and down.

Then check the sensor gap with a feeler guage at 3 or 4 different points of wheel rotation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode