Quick question on RS/GT Model Years - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Quick question on RS/GT Model Years

I'm parting out my '03 KGT. Can someone tell me what years the RS/GT platform from 2003 spans? I'm thinking the GT was an '02 to '05 model run and the corresponding RS was like a 2000 to 2005? Is that correct? What I'm looking for is the years that most parts are interchangeable. Thanks!

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 3:24 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus
I'm parting out my '03 KGT. Can someone tell me what years the RS/GT platform from 2003 spans? I'm thinking the GT was an '02 to '05 model run and the corresponding RS was like a 2000 to 2005? Is that correct? What I'm looking for is the years that most parts are interchangeable. Thanks!
Bob

I thought the KGT model run was '03-'05? I think the RS (late styling)model run was only '02-'04(I got an '04). The '98-'01 KRS had different plastic.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 3:29 pm

actually the GT model was 03'-04'.....production ended in November 2004!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Bruce- After all of my time and effort farkling it out, I took a downhill, left hand, off camber, decreasing radius turn a little too fast a couple of weeks ago and took the bike into a very large fence post. The bike and I both slid through the grass before the bike hit the post, and thankfully, I was clear of it all and only had a bruised knee. The bike is totaled. I was riding beyond my skillset which was unfortunate, because I loved that bike. We were at a rally here in Mid Missouri, and two other guys went off the same corner at the same time I did. One bike was totaled, one was scratched, and all three of us had mainly bruised egos (and my bruised knee). I am looking at replacing the GT with a GS, and will take the MSF ERC course and put in some track time before I'm cruising through the foothills of Missouri again chasing guys with more experience than me. So I'm parting the thing out. It breaks my heart.

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 4:53 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Bruce- After all of my time and effort farkling it out, I took a downhill, left hand, off camber, decreasing radius turn a little too fast a couple of weeks ago and took the bike into a very large fence post. The bike and I both slid through the grass before the bike hit the post, and thankfully, I was clear of it all and only had a bruised knee. The bike is totaled. I was riding beyond my skillset which was unfortunate, because I loved that bike. We were at a rally here in Mid Missouri, and two other guys went off the same corner at the same time I did. One bike was totaled, one was scratched, and all three of us had mainly bruised egos (and my bruised knee). I am looking at replacing the GT with a GS, and will take the MSF ERC course and put in some track time before I'm cruising through the foothills of Missouri again chasing guys with more experience than me. So I'm parting the thing out. It breaks my heart.

Bob
What a shame! I know how hard you worked to get the bike to the level you wanted.
Thankfully you only got scraped up.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Bruce. It took me 2 hours literally just to get all of my accessories and wiring off of the bike. It killed me to take it all off. I didn't even get scraped up... just the bruised knee and some grass stains on my Aerostich jacket.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2007, 8:03 am

You are lucky that you didnt wrap yourself around that fence post....it may have been worse. State hiways are not racetracks. You lost control alright...self-control. If the GT is at home anywhere...it's on the autobahn or interstate hiway....not a tight twistie mountain road. Let me guess....your buddies that you were riding with were all ex-professional roadracers!

Last edited by BigHausLittleFalsy; Nov 6th, 2007 at 8:08 am.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2007, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks Haus. I'm sure you're doing the double nickel at every moment on the Interstates as well...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2007, 9:40 am

Yes...I do exceed the speed limit quite regularly...but I've always been more at home going in a straight line for the most part. Dont feel too bad...downhill, offcamber, left hander will get the most experienced roadracer into trouble. In fact they overshoot corners all the time on the track...but there are no trees, cliffs, fence posts, and oncominng traffic to exploit.....just pea gravel and grassy knolls. BTW...I ride alone.....just me and the CHP!

Last edited by BigHausLittleFalsy; Nov 6th, 2007 at 10:10 am.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:51 am

Bob:

It's never a question of if we crash, but when. Been there done that. One guy I ride with gives himself three mistakes on a ride....mistakes such as coming into a corner a bit hot, not seeing something in the road soon enough, or any such "mental error". On the third error/mistake, he turns for home.

I've totalled one Ducati 907IE in a crash very similar to yours. Lucky is lucky.

Now....I'm a 18 year K bike owner, 88 K75s, 96 K1100rs, and currently an 03 K1200rs...which I hope never to sell since it's simply perfect.

However, the GS after the model/design change in 2005 caught my interest...and I bought a used 2005 R1200gs with 3,500 miles. Sold the 2006 Triumph Tiger I bought one year earlier. GS and the RS will live together!! 2,500 very pleasant miles added to the GS.

The entire GS riding experience is most pleasant...find I ride it a bit slower, relaxed, but it can "boogie" when it needs to, or go on most roads that would challenge the suspension of many other bikes.

I'm 60+ and expect I'll always own a GS.

Best of luck on your quest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode