System case lock mod - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2007, 8:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

System case lock mod

Love the K12RS, but the locks on the side cases are a HUGE pain. You have to lock the case to remove the key, hence you have to use the key to open the case every time. If you're like me and forgot which side you put your XXXX's in, opening the cases requires shutting off the engine, and playing musical locks. If I could get the lock mechanism out of the case I could probably remove the tab that disallows key removal in the unlocked position. But there are some rivets holding the things in internally... anyone know a procedure for getting the locks out?
Joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2007, 8:49 am
Veteran

Joseph
Use the "search" function in the header bar. Type in "side case locks". All your needed info is there. Look at the 5th entry down.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2007, 8:56 am

Hmmmm, seems my second key (always with me) creates one smooth and effortless solution. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2007, 9:04 am
Enthusiast

System Case Locks

There's no need to disassemble the case to remove the lock cylinder. Remove the bag from the bike and put it on a bench or table so you can see what you're doing. Stand or sit on the "bike" side of the case. Below the handles you'll see a slot in the plastic and a round hole toward the front of the slot. Turn the lock cylinder to align the key with this hole. Then, with a dental pick or heavy paper clip, probe this hole until you can "feel" the bottom tumbler on the cylinder. When you feel it, push against it with the pick while pulling gently on the key-the cylinder will pull out.

Removng one tumbler-I think the second- will allow you to remove the key from the bag wihout locking it. The easy way to fidd out which it is is to remove the first tumbler temporarily and set it aside, then by process of elimination remove the other tumblers alternately until you find the correct one. Then put the first tumbler back in the cylinder and reinstall the cylinder and enjoy your new found freedom!

This trick waas developed by The CHP for their R1100/1150RT Police bikes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2007, 5:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

O. I.c.

Oh, I see there are a couple of good solutions out there. Thanks gents for your thoughts.
I didn't have any luck with removing the little vanes in various orders and configs. Howeverrrr. After fiddlin for them with a bit earlier today I though of why not just have two spare keys made, shave the handle down to a suitable aerodynamic design and jsut leave them there all the time. And, if there is a moment when I want it locked, I can just do so and then take the key. If I misplace it, which is very very likely, knowing me, I always have a coulple of others on hand. Life is good.
Thanks,
too cold to ride, but not too cold to wrench,
Joseph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode