New tyres required - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

New tyres required

When I aquired my 2001 k1200rs the rear had been squared off badly. Many corners have slightly remedied the problem but handling is still **** which goes against all the comments found in this .
I have been told the michelin road pilot 2 is a great tyre, has anyone fitted this tyre? Michelin say its raised sports touring tyres to a new level, is this true?
safe riding
Pete b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 2:56 pm
Addict

tires

there's not much difference in tires for the gt. i've ridden z4, z6, pirelli, michelin et al. tire performance is a function of riding style and air pressure. i usually get 16k miles on a set, because i ride highway, lots of tire pressure, not much on corners. on the other hand, lots of guys get more like 6k on same tires. they burn the corners and low air pressure for cornering traction .............pick your poison
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Are you trying to say that your bike would rather go straight even in the corners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 4:40 am
Addict

tires

pedant...........
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 7:06 am
Enthusiast

New tyres

I just installed a Pilot Road 2 on the front of my RS. (I wear out fronts first) If it works anywhere near as well as the Pilot Road I took off, I'll be very happy. The Pilot Roads lasted longer, steered better and stuck beter in all conditions than anything else I've tried on the RS. I swore off Michelins years ago, but put these on out of desperation, and am glad I did.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 7:25 am
Rookie

Pilot Road 2

Do give us an update on the Pilot Road 2.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
there's not much difference in tires for the gt. i've ridden z4, z6, pirelli, michelin et al. tire performance is a function of riding style and air pressure. i usually get 16k miles on a set, because i ride highway, lots of tire pressure, not much on corners. on the other hand, lots of guys get more like 6k on same tires. they burn the corners and low air pressure for cornering traction .............pick your poison
I'm gobsmacked over 16,000 miles regardless of riding style and pressure. I just put on a set of Pilot Road 2CTs replacing Bridgestone BT021s. Sorry only 500 miles so far but they feel as grippy as the BT021s [very] and Pilot Powers [gone in 60 seconds]. BT021 rear was amazing because it never did square off appreciably in 5,000 miles. A vast improvement over BT020s, Z4s and Pilot Road rears. But the front BT021 was a disappointment. Gripped well but was gone well before the rear. I mixed the front Pilot Road 2CT and the rear BT021 for about 500 miles and they felt fine as a set. Threw on the rear 2CT for a recent trip even though there was life left in the BT021 [maybe 1,000].

I think I'll try a set of BT021s on my R1100RSL since it is much easier on front tires, they're quite a bit cheaper than the 2CTs, they stick like glue, and the rear doesn't square off. My K12RS chews up front tires. If the 2CT front lasts longer than any previous front I'll let you know.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 9:13 am

What effect does squaring off the rear tire have on your handling? Mileage and grip has never been an issue for me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2007, 9:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
What effect does squaring off the rear tire have on your handling? Mileage and grip has never been an issue for me.
I can feel it transition from center to shoulder. The more it squares the worse it feels.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys

From the replies recieved the Bridgestone BT021s sound well suited to the K12rs. particularly as they do not square off easilly. Whats the thoughts on putting 40psi in the rear as opposed to 42? Have heard it improves tyre life.
Cheers

peterb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode