12,000mile/annual service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 4:41 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Unhappy 12,000mile/annual service

Curious if anyone has skipped the coolant change and brake fluid change intervals.
I'd rather do the brake fluid change at my first brake service. 14,900 miles on 2.5 year old bike.

Any advice would be appreciated. Don't want to pay for unneccesary maintenance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 5:22 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundar8
Curious if anyone has skipped the coolant change and brake fluid change intervals.
I'd rather do the brake fluid change at my first brake service. 14,900 miles on 2.5 year old bike.

Any advice would be appreciated. Don't want to pay for unneccesary maintenance.

Steve

Steve
The coolant and brake fluid service are done every two years and are not mileage based.

If they haven't been done in 2.5 yrs., do it now.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 5:39 pm
Addict

i dont get it

i dont get it. these are small automobile engines........we dont change coolant in cars or brake fluid. could the reason for all this service be recurring revenue to the dealer? sorry..............call me cynical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 6:25 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
i dont get it. these are small automobile engines........we dont change coolant in cars or brake fluid. could the reason for all this service be recurring revenue to the dealer? sorry..............call me cynical.
Any performance car will require an annual brake fluid change if you take a car on the track. (It is mandatory for the car club I used to be a member of). Why? Brake fluid is hydroscopic; it absorbs water from the air. Under hard braking, this water will vaporize, leaving steam vapor pockets in the brake line, and eliminating any hydraulic pressure. The result is you lose your brakes. Most cars don't see track time or that level of braking, so most people don't change the brake fluid.

The same thing can happen on motorcycle brakes. Losing brakes on a performance motorcycle can have serious repercusions. There is also the issue of corrosion forming in the ABS pump and brake cylinders. Changing brake fluid is just cheap insurance for such a critical system, especially if you ride the bike anywhere near its limits.

Changing coolant is more a function of losing corrosion protection in the coolant, and I don't think it's as important. But the brakes I wouldn't skimp on.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 7:22 pm
Enthusiast

I agree that both should be done. It seems a bit drastic to have to change the brake fluid so regularly, but I don't want to take the chance of have any water vapor ruin my day because I couldn't stop my bike fast enough. As far as the coolant is concerned, that's an easy do-it-yourself job if you've got a manual and some time.

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2007, 11:15 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should do the brake fluid to be safe. I will see if I can do the coolant myself to save a little cash.

Don't really understand changing the rear wheel drive oil on a time vice mileage basis though.
It says 24k or every two years. Does the oil break down over time?

Steve
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 5:21 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundar8

Don't really understand changing the rear wheel drive oil on a time vice mileage basis though.
It says 24k or every two years. Does the oil break down over time?

Steve
Changing the rear drive gear oil is literally a ten minute job. It'll cost you about eight bucks for a quart of gear oil and you'll have enough to do the transmission at the same time.

And, to save you having to ask another question when you decide to do the tranny, it takes a
14 mm hex head wrench

As for the brakes ?? I do mine twice a year. Invest in speedbleeders and that becomes a
twenty or thirty minute job too.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 6:46 am
Faster than poop

6000 mile + annual service

My new-to-me 2002 RS is at the dealer to have all its fluids changed, as recommended by the folks on this forum. The bike has less than 3000 miles but doesn't appear to have been serviced since the day it rolled off the showroom floor in 2002, so it sounded like good advice to me. Still does.

Changing out all the fluids equated to the 6000 mile service plus an annual service, according to the BMW schedule. BMW quotes 9 hours labor for the job. Cost for the service was $789. Ouch. But the mechanic there (Jeremy @ Wagner BMW) is excellent, and having him give the bike a once-over makes me feel confident everything is right.

Congrats on the new family member!

Live fast. Eat carrots.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2007, 8:01 am
Addict

Also the water that does form in the system causes damage.I've seen aluminum parts corrode.As expensive as the parts are for these things, a yearly flush isnt a big deal.I do flush the brakes on my trucks when ever I do brakes,which on my work truck is about every 2 years.The stuff that comes out is nasty! The rear end has a vent on it,so its possible outside air and moisture could get in.Plus flushing out the metal bits that appear is a good thing.Changing fluid son our bikes isnt that tuff and is one of the cheapest things to do.Dark beer goes best with fluid changes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:53 pm

Cool changes

Hi, Steve was wondering about the final drive lube changes every two years. No the gear oil probably is okay but, the moisture that gets in there is troublesome. It was mentioned that there is only a small amount of lube in there. I change mine annually or more frequently if I am putting a lot of miles on because I want to look at the oil and see the condition of my final drive unit. These bikes do have a failure rate here and metal in the oil (more than a tiny bit) is an indicator of impending trouble. I had a crown bearing failure in my GS and my buddies K final drive went kaput on him. I agree that some of the maintenance cost using the dealer can be outragious. I think you have to step back and remember we are on motorcycles. It has to be in superior condition all the time. A life is potentially at stake. A buddy of mine took a LT in and spent 3K on back maintenance. A down payment on a new bike! This all leads to doing as much of your own maintenance as possible. Or helping those who might not have the skills at first ( or a place to work). A buddy at work wants to change from his Harley to a used BMW. I pointed out to him to be ready for maintenance expenses. Maintence costs are on my mind as I look at buying a new K1200S. I bought a coats tire changer and do my tires and anyone else in the area who wants tires changed. It all adds up. Good riding, beech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode