I need a new Helmet and ear buds - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2007, 8:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I need a new Helmet and ear buds

I have had a Shoei Synchrotec helmet for over 5 years and was recently informed that you should replace your helmet every five years. Is there a re reason for that? I was told over time the shell weakens. Is that Correct? I am looking at the shoei multitec and Nolan n102 both with the flip up face plate. Any suggestions on these helmets and others as well as where is the best deal to buy at?

I am also looking for some new Ear buds. I meet a guy that I rode with who had custom ear molds done and the ear bud installed. Any idea where I can get these and how much they cost?

thanks for you help..

Jayson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2007, 8:34 pm
Enthusiast

The argument for replacing the helmet is that after time the lining and protective material inside can deteriorate due to sweat, heat, etc. As far as what helmet, that is going to be a personal thing, but start with those you mentioned since you are used to a flip-up style. The Multitec has gotten great feedback. Make sure whatever you look at that you walk around the shop with it in for a while to make sure you like the fit. Cycle Gear has a 7 day return policy on helmets that will allow you to take it home and see if you like it (but I believe the policy states that the helmet cannot be used and then returned).

Custom plugs/speakers can be done by a number of companies. I had some molds made by Big Ear and have told Santa that she needs to get me the custom speakers from them for Christmas.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2007, 9:11 pm
Enthusiast

This has provided a good read upon occasion.

http://www.webbikeworld.com

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2007, 10:29 pm
Enthusiast

RE: Ear buds

Bob Weis is a member of this site and puts out an excellent product.

Noise reduction is in around the 29dB range, or so it feels, and the sound quality is very good.

Check out The Earplug Company.

Enjoy.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2007, 10:01 am
Enthusiast

Both my wife and I have a set from Bob Weis and could not be happier with them. We have the challenger c model.

Pete
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2007, 1:08 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo
Both my wife and I have a set from Bob Weis and could not be happier with them. We have the challenger c model.
I agree. Hard to beat the Challenger. Just make sure to get a good mold. That's the hardest part. I wound up buying a set of molded ear plugs at an expo, then sent those to Challenger to use as the mold for the earphones. Great job, and they returned the plugs in perfect shape.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Veteran

I'm very satisfied withs the Etymotic ER-6i ear speakers. No problem at all with the helmet fitting over the ears with plugs.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2007, 7:11 am
Addict

Helmet

Jason,
Here is a helmet I was checking into when I was ready to replace mine. All the research I did on flip-ups and this one, to me came out on top. The flip down visor is very cool and it was the quietest of them all. You didnít mention what kind of bike you have. If you have an RS with the stock shield, may I suggest the comfort windshield w/Laminar lip? The noise reduction is huge and you may not need ear buds.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...t/caberg-trip/
Call Nichols Motorcycle Supply at 800-826-0001 and ask for the name of your closest dealer.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2007, 9:12 am
Rookie

Hello from Croatia!!!

Nolan n102 is a great helmet, not to noisy, you can take of the inside and clean it, you can buy original N-com for it, I was very satisfied with it while riding my K100...
Then I purchased K1200Rs...
The helmet no longer satisfies me...
The n102 is made for cruise bikes, not for sport tourers, when you lean forward and want to ride in a sporty manner, you can't see much since the forehead part is to close to your eyes.
Test this helmet on your bike before you buy it, I am looking for another helmet!!!
Goran
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 5:34 am
Rookie

I have the Schuberth C2 and use ear buds. I am pleased with this setup.

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode