Newbie questions... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Newbie questions...

Just acquired a 2003 K1200RS after retiring (selling) my 86 K100RS. There are a couple of questions I have if you have answers...
1) I am 6'4" and so when the windshield is in the upright most position I just miss being out of the airstream by an inch or two. If any of you are 6'4" are there any good windshield extenders or larger windshields you can recommend? I am aware of the different brands and I purchased an Airflow for my last K100 bike and it really didn't work so I need a testimony.
2) When I tuck in enough to avoid the airstream I smell exhaust and only when moving. Do the aerodynamics of the bike create a back pressure that pushes exhaust from the pipe back into the riding position? BTW - I have checked for exhaust leaks and have none and this only occurs while riding.
3) Where should the temp gauge read. My 86 K100 always read hot as was normal. Do the K12RS's also run hot?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by ahdoman; Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:06 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 1:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoman
2) When I tuck in enough to avoid the airstream I smell exhaust and only when moving. Do the aerodynamics of the bike create a back pressure that pushes exhaust from the pipe back into the riding position? BTW - I have checked for exhaust leaks and have none and this only occurs while riding.
3) Where should the temp gauge read. My 86 K100 always read hot as was normal. Do the K12RS's also run hot?

Thanks for the input.
FrisbeeTiger (2003 K1200rs) says, I'm only 6' tall and I use a short Ztechnik screen for 85% of all riding...yes I'm in the wind a bit...windstream hits me just above the visor on a full faced helmet. Only use the touring screen for long distance freeway blasts.

Re: run hot? This bike runs much cooler than the K1100rs it replaces. The temp gauge reads right at the white mark while moving...ever so slightly above the mark when temps in the 90's, just below the mark in 50's.

Last edited by Razel; Dec 7th, 2007 at 12:42 pm. Reason: Fixed Tags
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 6:17 am
Enthusiast

I'm on the GT with bar-backs so I can't really answer your wind screen question. As far as the exhaust smell goes I have never had an issue with that. Maybe you are not going fast enough?
My GT has always read on the high side in the summer and I was told this is normal. This time of year it stays much lower.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 7:46 am
Rookie

Welcome from Pensacola. My '98RS runs warmer than did my 2000LT here in Florida. I have found it is very sensitive to almost the exact amount of coolant level required, there is little room for error as in a few ounces before mine will run very close to read line, particularly two up. As long as I keep a close eye on the fill tank I am fine. Being under the seat it is easy in a quick pre-flight to miss/forget to pull it off to give it a check before each ride. I have even found a slight overfilling, about 2 oz above the line seems to show an improvement.

I am 5'10 and just purchased a pre-used AeroFlow for the RS. The real problem with getting their design is they no longer have the attaching clips for the '98 models. So if you decided to try that one out make sure you get those attaching clips whereever you purchase the AeroFlow. I have not taken a trip with the AeroFlow yet but I will let you know how she goes. I got it because I ride two up most of the time and the passenger gets little protection from the stock windshield.

I have never experienced the fumes you describe. Out of curiosity are you riding with a full face helmet? I ride with a Schuberth that has good closure around the neck so I do not know if perhaps I am missing something?

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"

Last edited by bayoubmw; Dec 6th, 2007 at 7:53 am.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Make sure those are exhaust fumes and not gas fumes. I kept smelling gas and was shocked to see gas squirting out of the cheapazz fule quick disconnects!

Start the bike and look at the right side, just intp the fairing opening on top of the engine oil filler cap. Make sure nothing wet and stinky is shooting / dripping out...

Great bike though - I love my 03 !

Dave.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 4:44 pm
Addict

Are you sure the gas cap is pushed all the way down? it needs quite a lot of force to click to the sealed position.

Had a few rides early on smelling gas after refuelling 'till I discovered this.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Addict

Wind/Temp

Do you smell gas or exhaust? If you smell raw gas as Vox said, check your filler lid. As everyone else with an RS says, check your fuel quick-connect on the right side top hose, it may be leaking. If it exhausts fumes, I smell fumes all the time while riding, but their not mine. I think the only place for the exhaust to leak is the header pipe where it bolts to the head. If that leaks you’ll hear it, speaking from experience when a header bolt dropped out and I found several more loose. If you have the stock shield, replace it with a BMW comfort shield and install a Laminar Lip. That’s my recommendation.

My temp gauge always reads 1/16" below half way. On hot days it's dead nuts center.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Rookie

I ride an 04" GT. Never smelled any fumes either. Definitely check the fuel line disconnects. I believe I read the the 03' were he main year for that problem. You will get a nasty yellowing down the side of the motor if they are leaking or come apart or whatever they do and your riding and cant clean it off right away.

I am 6'4" also. Post back if you find a suitable fairing. I feel I am about 4" in the wind with the screen all teh way up. I looked at an Aeroflow but thought they were fugly. If I could get the stock windscreen 4" taller, Id buy it...

Please post back if you find out something that works for you.

Pat
04' GT Orient Blue
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:41 pm
Enthusiast

Newbie Questions

I am "only" 6'2", but after spending a fortune on taller windshields, I gave up and cut down a stock RS windshield. I tried the BMW Comfort Screen, a Z-Tecknik, A Parabellum, an Aeroflow, and the Comfort Screen with a Laminar Lip. They were all turbulent and noisy and made the bike hyper-sensitive to cross winds. The quietest, least turbulent ride is with my cut down screen. It's cooler in summer and in the upper position gives a little more protection without getting as loud as any of the others. I'm getting better gas mileage, too!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2007, 12:15 pm
Enthusiast

I'm 6'4" and have four different screens I run on my bike depending on what I'm doing and the time of year. The one that offers the most protection is the GT shield with a laminar lip. With that shield in the up position I feel almost no wind and it's very quiet. Most of the time I run the stock tinted shield. Mid summer I run a short z technik.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode