04 K1200GT Fairing mirrors - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

04 K1200GT Fairing mirrors

I've just bought an '04 K1200GT (The fast colour - Grey Green ! ! !) which is a superb bike. I had a R1150RT before, which had excellent fairing mirrors. The one thig I hate is the lollypop stick bar mirrors on the KGT ! ! Has anyone managed to sucessfully fit fairing-mounted mirrors onto an '04 K1200GT. Where did you fix them ? Is the handshield part of the fairing strong enough ?

I really do need fairing mirrors, because I have to roll the bike backwards between two cars, into a tight slot in the garage, and the view in the bar mounted mirrors is hopeless, as every little steering movement makes the rear view change.

PS. - I only put the old bike into the garage forward ONCE. It then took two of us to push/drag it back up the 25' narrow sloping driveway, hence I ALWAYS reverse in now, relying on my mirrors ! !

Any help greatly appreciated. As an alternative, is there a bar mounted mirror with a larger mirror head, for increased view.

Mike, Redditch,England
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Looking for better limits...

Verholen (sp?) in Germany used to have a kit for this. They take the R1100S mirrors, fabricate a backing plate for it, and sold the kit. But, the useful part I can't help with, as I don't believe they're made anymore. I don't know about the R1100S bits, but I don't think you can just purchase the parts and adapt them. Verholen also included a template for drilling the holes.

You might try a search on Verholen here, as well as contact Pirate's Lair and see if Amber or Jerry have an idea of how to proceed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 5:51 am
Addict

OK, I recently read a post (somewhere?) that looked good 'cos I saved it as a Word document.

Unfortunately, and apologies to the original author, I have no reference so please come forward and claim the fame 'cos I thought it looked pretty cool.

There are lots of possibilities using mirrors from other bikes, but this author gave all the part numbers! I'm not sure what vibration level they got.

Edited: I now discovered an embedded link to the author's Home page, so here ya go:

http://www.skene.org/K1200RS/mirrors/index.htm

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Dec 7th, 2007 at 5:56 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 10:36 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvomike
I've just bought an '04 K1200GT (The fast colour - Grey Green ! ! !)

As an alternative, is there a bar mounted mirror with a larger mirror head, for increased view.

Mike, Redditch,England
Excellent choice on the most fastest of old style GT's, the Gray-Green Metallic.

If you can't find the Verholens, the next best thing is to fit the K-RS mirrors to the GT. They are larger, offering an increased field-of-view, and it's a direct bolt-in replacement. The RS mirrors may bump the windscreen at full lock however. I went with the RS windscreen, which eliminates the mirror-bump problem (and reduces wind-noise for me):

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:28 pm
Addict

Mirror Mounts

Heres what I did. They are mirrors for a Honda cb600 Fi and made by Emgo. You do have to reinforce the back side of the fairing which will take some ingenuity so hopefully these pics will help. Don't hesitate to e-mail me for help. If I had to do it over I would get mirrors with just a little longer stem. Your shoulders will get in the way so I installed Fish-eye mirrors in the dead spots, inboard. Hope this helps. BTW-the mirrors are only about $24.00 ea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Mount.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	6751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Mount II.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	6752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Mount III.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	6753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Mount IV.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	6754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Mount VI.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	6755  

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
OK, I recently read a post (somewhere?) that looked good 'cos I saved it as a Word document.

Unfortunately, and apologies to the original author, I have no reference so please come forward and claim the fame 'cos I thought it looked pretty cool.

There are lots of possibilities using mirrors from other bikes, but this author gave all the part numbers! I'm not sure what vibration level they got.

Edited: I now discovered an embedded link to the author's Home page, so here ya go:

http://www.skene.org/K1200RS/mirrors/index.htm
Thing is though, the year the OP has is 2004. This looks like a good modification for the 98-2001 front faring. After looking at Jim's support bracket, I'm not sure that will fit under the 2002-2005 version of the nose faring.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2007, 4:59 am
Addict

Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Thing is though, the year the OP has is 2004. This looks like a good modification for the 98-2001 front faring. After looking at Jim's support bracket, I'm not sure that will fit under the 2002-2005 version of the nose faring.
Yeah, mine's an '02.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2007, 8:43 am
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvomike
I've just bought an '04 K1200GT (The fast colour - Grey Green ! ! !) which is a superb bike. [snip] Mike, Redditch,England
Hello Mike; I was beginning to think that I was the only (Classic) GT owner in the UK, certainly of our colour. Yes I love my GT but have no problem with the mirrors personally. The next serious upgrade will be to replace the shocks; the bike's done almost 22k miles and corners are now much harder than they should be as the suspension tends to pogo the bike around! How many miles has your '04 done ?

Ride safely

John

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2007, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
Yeah, mine's an '02.
Oh...d'uh!
Guess I could have also looked at the last attachment...:banghead

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2007, 3:40 pm

In my modifiaction to to a '98, the link posted by Voxmagna, I did not need to reinforce the fairing under the mirror mounting point. The mirrors vibrate very slightly at idle, but are very stable above ~1500 rpm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode