I crashed! Now it's time to fix it. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

I crashed! Now it's time to fix it.

Iím about to enter the murky world of insurance adjustors and Iím looking for general advice and things to look out for. I lost the front end on my 2002 KRS on an unexpectedly wet right-hand curve in the north Georgia mountains last weekend, and the bike and I ended up sliding along the road for awhile. I just slid along the road for awhile and eventually stopped before I hit anything (thank God for leathers), but the bike continued off the side and down the embankment, hitting a tree and ending upside down about twenty feet down. I wasnít hurt much, but as you might expect the bike doesnít look too good. In addition to losing all the plastic on the right side, as well as windscreen, mirrors, turn signals, etc., the driveshaft housing/swingarm is broken in half and the rear wheel is dangling at a strange angle.

Thatís all background. The reason for this posting is that Iím getting ready to take it to my dealer and begin the insurance adjustment (and hopefully repair) process. Iíve never had to do this before, and Iíd like to find out about potential pitfalls in dealing with the insurance adjustors and the shop beforehand. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 5:00 pm
Addict

Sorry for the fall down you had, glad you are OK.

Have it totaled. Get a new bike.
Do I need to explain the pit falls of owning a bike that has been in a wreck?
It is just goes for a slide and doe not hit anything then the bike should be OK. But I don't think yours will be it to good a shape.
Take the total ins. money and get a newer bike that is striaght.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 5:45 pm
Enthusiast

Now What do I do

I lost my bike in May, first bike - spent time working on it when I wasn't riding - got really attached to her - rode her all over the place - blah blah .....

I took her to a dealer - I TRUSTED and VALUED HIS OPITION -- sure I can help you fix it - you can drop 4 to 5 K into her to get back on the road - looked into used parts .....
But it can be done -- BUT if you get into another accient - you get $ 0. from the insurance people - the bike will have a salvage title as well. So here my advice -

A- It is only a bike.
B- It was your first bike - maybe
C- You are to attached to it / yes memories and .......
D - MOVE ON / get another
E - If you have time ( The Winter ) Buy the Bike from the Insurance Comp - I did for
$200. and part it out - I made 1K more so far from what I paid for her and still have more to sell. If you go this route email me. JUST MAKE SURE YOU get a letter from your insurance company that states - you, them, VIN #, dates, how much, all the legal stuff - you just do not want the state police visiting you in the middle of the night.

I'm looking to get a KR , or KS, or a KGT - '07 or '08

Good luck

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 5:46 pm

I agree 100%. I wouldnt be surprised if they just told you it was totalled. You may not have to opt for it. That bike is gonna cost more to fix that its worth.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 5:56 pm
Rookie

DEFINITELY TOTAL IT. You dont need THAT headache. If you are emotionally attached to the bike. Buy it back and hang it from your garage wall.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 6:21 pm
Enthusiast

+1 what everyone else said. Under no circumstances should you try and fix it due to the damage and likelihood that it will never be completely repaired and back to normal no matter what you do.

'03 K1200GT

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2007, 7:13 am
Rookie

Glad to hear you are OK I was up in that area riding about 3 weeks ago. Sell the bike for parts or just let it go

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:30 am
Rookie

Like everyone else here I am glad that you are okay and didn't injure yourself badly. RoadBike Magazine recently had two really great articles on motorcyle insurance with all types of answers to some of the questions you are thinking and asking about. Issues are: Nov/Dec 2007 and Jan/Feb 2008 in their "Special Features" section. The article is cut up into two parts with many tips and answers that all of us should be asking when getting/updating our insurance policies. I know that after reading their article the first thing I did was get out my policy and went to my insurance agent to go over it in detail. Wishing you the best of luck and at worst "Happy Shopping".

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2007, 12:45 pm
Veteran

Yup, totaled. Glad your OK. But honestly from what you describe I wouldn't want to ride the bike again. A lay down with no BOOM at the end and just cosmetics probably fix it and ride it. But yours went BOOM. Big Badda Broken BOOM! You can never ride that bike with 100% confidence again that there isn't something like micro cracks in the frame yada yada.

Lesson learned hopefully. Get a new bike and ride. Besides it's always best to screw the big insurance butt holes for as much as you can get from them!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2007, 7:09 pm

Re: I crashed

That bike is toast! Don't even spend a dime on it as you will never be comfortable riding it, you will not be able to sell it, it will become your Albatross. I have a rebuilt from a wreck 99 K12RS that I am unable to sell even though it had only minor cosmetic damage.. so unless your insurance adjuster is WAY more liberal than most.. your machine is going to be a "total loss" JMHO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode