Winter GT Concerns - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2005, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Question Winter GT Concerns

Due to some unexpected circumstances I am going to have to let my '04 KGT sit out all winter here in Central Pennsylvania. Needless to say I am not happy about this situation.

I do have the BMW cover and a good coat of wax on it too. I plan on riding as much as possible this winter and have already found the heated grips and seat great on the chilly mornings.

Any suggestions about all the exposure to the cold and bad weather when it sits unused? Will starting her up once a week and idling 10 minutes be enough to preserve the battery?

I wish I could "winterize" and put it away for 4 months but this year that just won't be an option.

Thanks in advance for all your good advice. . .

PETER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2005, 7:39 pm
Will ride for picts

Get a Battery Tender

I don't think you'll generate enough power to charge battery just by idling the engine. I would invest in a battery tender. Be sure to get one appropriate for your battery type: gel cell, wet, etc.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2005, 7:57 pm
Enthusiast

I assume that you can't bring it to a dealer for storage. How about one of the self storage places? However if you start the bike in the dead of the winter and do not get it up to operating temp(oil at 180 degrees) you would be better off not to run it. You will cause condensation to form and the oil will not get hot enough to get rid of the condensation. Also I have not done this but a friend of mine has sprayed the metal and chrome of his bikes with WD40 for the long winter months. Is a pain to clean in the spring but the bikes do look good. Be careful what type of cover you use. Some covers will keep the moisture in and your bike will be soaking wet under the cover.
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2005, 8:08 pm

Angry Winter GT Concerns

A couple of thoughts if it were me: 1) Purchase the right cycle cover...one that will protect from rain/snow, etc but will breath...trapped moisture under a cover is not good. Sumbrella is a well know product for boat canvas tops and awnings it does breath....see if you can make one, or find a comparable cover with like qualities. 2) Starting any engine in the cold of winter and not bringing all the fluids up to proper operating temperature is a recipe for disaster....quite simply short engine running time heats some of the oil the crank, and other miscellaneous pieces and parts...but the engine's mass is not hot. Upon turning the engine off, different portions of the engine cool down and tend to create moisture from condensation. This condensation sits low in the engine, and multiple engine on/off just beg for trouble. May this Winter be mild!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2005, 8:26 pm
Veteran

Peter
Is there a place that you can store it with both wheels off the ground?
Bruce C
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2005, 9:13 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Unhappy Winter GT

If your going to ride it when you can I would not worry to much, the battery tender is a good idea I use the accumate. The BMW cover should cover most of it up and still allow some breathing. I made a little garage for my earlier bikes before the big garage was built, used some 2x4's and blue poly tarp covering three sides, only lasted the one year but that was enough. Put it against the house in the back where it was most protected from direct wind etc. cost was minimal. Up there the only big worry is road salt if you ride when its wet. That will have to be washed off asap, in Michigan we had tons of that crap on the road. used to spray it off at the car wash and chamois it dry best I could. Even in the sub freezing temps. just dont spray locks etc.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 9:33 am
Addict

i live in PA just north of philly and i've had my krs for a little over 3 years and i don't have a garage to park the bike in. i'll ride during the winter unless the temp stays below 40 degrees or there's snow on the ground. the longest i've parked my bike without starting/riding it is three weeks. after three weeks went by she started right up but i would recommend a battery tender if you have one.

i keep the bike covered with a run of the mill cover nothing fancy or special and i don't use the cover unless it rains or snows. after three years my bike still looks brand new except for one scratch on the gas tank. as long as you keep the bike clean and dirt free she'll look as good as she did the day you brought her home. i wouldn't worry at all about not being able to garage your bike during the winter just keep it covered and keep it clean.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:13 pm

Smile

http://www.shelter-solution.com/cycle_shelters.htm
I hope this site will help. All you need is a little space.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:23 pm

speaking of battery tenders, my buddy with a new R1200 GS said that I couldn't use my good'ol battery tender and that I had to get some fancy-dancy BMW unit that costs somewhere around $125. On my '94 K75, all I did was plug in the battery tender to the accessory socket and it provided the charge. This guy told me if I did that, I'd wreck the electrical systems in my '04 K12GT. I use my bike at least once a week, and take it for at least a 20 mile run each time. No hint of battery drain yet.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 1:00 am

K75 bat charger works on K12GT '03

I have charged my 03 K12GT with the BMW battery charger that came with my '90 K75RT with no problems.

john mintier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode