K1200GT Heated Seat Connector....HELP !! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:16 am Thread Starter
Rookie

K1200GT Heated Seat Connector....HELP !!

I need a little help here, PLEASE. First, I tried the forum for the answer, then the CLYMER manual for my '04 RED K1200GT. I have the heated seat option and I know that issues with the heated seat have been discussed before in other threads. Besides not getting any heat from my seat (already checked the fuses) I can't seem to find out how to disconnect the cable attached to the seat from the connector on the bike. My hand size makes it hard for me to get in there. I don't want to break anything without asking questions here first. Any help greatly appreciated.
P.S. Also posted in maintenance, repairs.

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 1:08 pm
Noob

Disconnect Seat Heat

If you look carefully at the top of the connector there is a small rectangular tab with a hole in it. The tab 'points' forwards. With a small, sharp screwdriver or a blade point, ease the tab up very slightly so that it it clears the small bump that sits in the hole. The plug can now be eased out, forwards. It's obvious once youv'e seen it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 2:19 pm
Addict

Heated seat...

My heated seat went out on me at about 36,000 miles. One day it no longer worked. I kept it for the base of a Russell seat (for the pan) and bought a used one to replace it. I used the plug from the stock seat to rewire the Russell seat into the stock power (you can only tap in one or the other high or the low, either is ok.

I guess to check your seat for continuity would be a start. From there check that the grounds are good. Check for power coming out of the bike side of the connector. One wire is high, one low (both should show 12 volts and the brown is the ground.

Good luck, I missed my heated seat when it was out, so I feel your pain.

Merry Christmas......

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 3:40 pm
Looking for better limits...

Here's where the wiring is described for the possible heat settings. http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...94&postcount=9

Measuring the seat, you should see ~7ohms on the brown/black pair, and 15ohms (plus or minus) on the brown/blue pair. 21 ohms if you measure between the blue and the black.
I mention the blue/black path as well, because if the seat is defective, the brown wire is going to be the weak link. If there's not continuity between the brown and the others, measuring between blue and black should give you a means to determine that the brown is defective.

On the other connector, you should see ground constantly on the brown lead (measuring between the battery negative and the brown, 0v or tenths/hundredths of ohm, depending on the scale) With a volt meter, ignition on, heated-seat switch in the first position (middle) you should see 12v on the blue wire (between the brown or battery, which ever is easier) and 0v on black.
With the switch in the high position, you should see 12v on both the blue and black wire.

As mentioned, to disconnect the plug, lift at the gold arrow and pull away (gently...take your time).
The connector itself is mounted in the square hole at the frame tab in the second attachment. Rotate the whole plug from the front toward the inside 45 and it will come out of the frame tab (coming straight up). Otherwise, you may need to remove the side plastic to get at it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connector.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	6830   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrameMount.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	6831  

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Glassman / Thickasabrick / Razel,
Thank you for your help. I have been away from riding for more than 3 decades, just returned. Spent two years trying to find my motorcycle; spent the last 2 months sore. I made the right choice getting a GT. So now for the resst of the story. I went to the garage to try and remove the plug according to the instructions provided; perfect. Checked the wires, brown had a weak point, almost like it was scraped clean close to the connector, repaired, plugged seat back in. Works now. Connector resembles the molex connectors my technicians use on our slot machines. Not to electicially inclinded myself, don't know if it will get hot on the high setting but the seat gets warm now. We have an OHM measuring tool at work, I'll get someone to check the voltage for me using the guidelines provided by all of you. I love this forum. The information provided by its members is great. Can't wait to ride again tomorrow morning, 25' degrees @ 6:00 AM.
Again, thank you very much, Paul (2ndChance).

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2007, 4:04 pm

pdf wire diagram heated seats

I had this one on file, so hope this works. I need to wire up my heated seat as well, but just not getting around to it.

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/do...h_id=4481?Cat=

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode