Zumo 550 wiring ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:04 am Thread Starter

Zumo 550 wiring ?

I got surprised today when my other 1/2 gave me a 550 for the K bike. I was wondering where you guys wired your GPS in for switched power? I've searched the forum and found a couple of references to using the front parking light lead. Do I need to pull the plastic to get to it or any other wiring? Anybody have any pics or a real good description of how they did it, I'm not the best when it comes to the electrics.
I plan on getting over to Bob's tomorrow for the BMW mount, then hopefully getting the GPS up and running. Thanks!

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 2:32 am
Looking for better limits...

The two leads recommended are the parking and tail light leads. I used the parking lamp, so that meant taking off all the plastic to get the front nose piece off. Then spliced into the wire for the parking lamp. Crimp connectors make it easy, but soldering and using shrink tubing is a better connection.

I ran a separate wire from the splice point close to the lamp itself back under the instrument panel, then spliced the GPS power wire onto the new wire. Ground I got from one of the ground points on the instrument panel (brown is ground) and then ran the GPS wiring harness up to the mount point. I crimped mine, and in the 4 years I've had it, I've gone in once to re-crimp the connector, and then replaced the connector about 2 years later...hence if I were to do it again, I'd solder/heat-shrink it.

You basically take the nose piece off to run the new cable, get to a ground point, and ty-wrap the new wiring out of the way. Keep in mind that the windshield has movement, so before you button it all back up, raise and lower the windscreen to make sure you don't run afoul of the moving pieces.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 4:30 am

Since it has a fused lead, I connected directly to my battery as I have with several other GPS - I like the GPS to remain hot so that during gas or food stops, she keeps power via the bike battery. They only draw milliamps and this has worked well for me.
Enjoy - it is a great piece of gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 8:47 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5150
I got surprised today when my other 1/2 gave me a 550 for the K bike. I was wondering where you guys wired your GPS in for switched power? I've searched the forum and found a couple of references to using the front parking light lead. Do I need to pull the plastic to get to it or any other wiring? Anybody have any pics or a real good description of how they did it, I'm not the best when it comes to the electrics.
I plan on getting over to Bob's tomorrow for the BMW mount, then hopefully getting the GPS up and running. Thanks!
Santa (my better half) also got me a Zumo 550 and I plan to do as Ray suggested and power it from the parking light. I used the license plate lamp when I wired the Autocom, but that's at the opposite end from where the Zumo will go obviously. I already have the Gadget Guy mount for it which is sweeeeet.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Looking for better limits...

The other slight advantage with the parking lamp is that you can turn off the bike, lock the bars, and put the key in "Night Park" which keeps the parking light lit. Some GPS don't have a battery, so once power is off, you're finished. In night park-mode, you can keep things powered up while not running the bike (or just having the ignition on where everything is powered up).

If the Zumo550 has its own rechargeable battery, then there's little use for the night park-mode. The older, 2610 didn't have a battery unless you bought the external battery option, and I believe the mounting would've been quite awkward.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Razel

Thanks for the info. I've got the RS, so I won't have to worry about the w/s. I like the idea of having the GPS switched so I don't forget to turn it off and drain the battery plus the 550 has a battery, so I can run it w/out turning the bike on.

I pulled out the Clymers to see how to pull the nose piece, doesn't look too difficult. With your method, I won't need to pull the side panels.

I'm going to try the BMW mount used for 550. The gadgert guy stuff is nice, but a bit pricey.

'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Enthusiast

This is how I did it. No problems all summer. Zumo forum has good info.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=998.0

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo
Since it has a fused lead, I connected directly to my battery as I have with several other GPS - I like the GPS to remain hot so that during gas or food stops, she keeps power via the bike battery. They only draw milliamps and this has worked well for me.
Enjoy - it is a great piece of gear.
The zumo ask's you if you want to stay on it's battery power with a keyed switch.

Richie
04 K12GT
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Cruiz - is that the gadget guy mount on yours?

'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 11:00 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5150
Cruiz - is that the gadget guy mount on yours?
Yes. It is more secure than the ram ball mount. Go to the zumo forum and order one of the little thumb screws to replace the "security" screw Garmin provided. When, I stop to eat or whatever I can have it off the mount in a second and in the bags or with me. The little screwdriver thing is a PITA at night.

The gadget guy mount was easy to mount. Just replaced 2 bolts with 2 longer ones that he provides.

Richie
04 K12GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode