2004 K1200GT Tall Windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2008, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

2004 K1200GT Tall Windshield

Has anyone installed a ZTechnik Tall Windshiled on their GT. I have a 2004 K1200GT and would like to give one a try. Cold here and would like to get some relief from the standard windshield buffering. Picture(s) would be outstanding. I am hoping that the windshield follows the lines on the bike. Thanks

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2008, 8:25 pm
Noob

Have been down exactly the same path, I have the same bike but blue green colour. I found the Z2213 fits ok although listed for an RS. Looks great but no improvement on buffeting compared to the original screen. My homework tells me a Laminar Lip on the original screen screwed on is the way to go to get rid of the buffeting. There is a guy on this site who has done that and am considering doing exactly the same for winter riding in Aus. I find that I always have to wear earplugs which is the right thing to do but was spoilt on my last bike which was a K100LT. The 1200GT is a mean machine, but would prefer better windshield protection.
Keep in touch with what you do. We are in exactly the same boat, with similar needs.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:29 pm
Addict

2004 K1200GT Tall Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndChance
Has anyone installed a ZTechnik Tall Windshiled on their GT. I have a 2004 K1200GT and would like to give one a try. Cold here and would like to get some relief from the standard windshield buffering. Picture(s) would be outstanding. I am hoping that the windshield follows the lines on the bike. Thanks

I also have a 2004 GT and I went with a Aeroflow Touring windscreen and it is excellent. Had a Cee Bailey +4 but it did not give me the hand protection I wanted and I still got buffeting. With the AF Screen I have the hand coverage (I ride year around) and it is quiet behind the screen. It was the best purchase I made on the bike.

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Hey guys, I have an 04 RS Capri blue. I have tried just about every screen out there in order to do some serious 2-up touring. laminar lip works really well for the money but after purchasing the AF TALL touring version last year I would recommend it over everything. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam.
Gmac
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Then there was the guy that bought a Porsche 911,cut it in half added two more doors and added a steel roof to cut out the wind noise. He wanted the image of a sports car but the comfort of a SUV. He should have just bought the SUV (LT)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2008, 1:20 am
Rookie

Screens

+1 for the Aeroflow Tall Touring Screen. I just don't let the guys that call it a "Barn Door" bother me.

Bob
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2008, 2:50 pm
Enthusiast

No offense to anyone, but IMO the tall shields look really funky. You can achieve the same effect with a "Laminar Lip." Looks a little better at least and will save you a few bucks. Mine comes off in April. I like the protection, but can't stand the look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2130017small.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	6906  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 9:28 am

Hello,

Could someone please send a picture of his bike with the aeroflow windscreen? I would like to see the result on a GT.
Pic from aeroflow website did not convience me.... :-)

Thanks
Gilles
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:09 am

Funny thing about those tall windscreens.....wait until you're on a long road trip and encounter a stiff and persistent cross wind....you'll wish you had the stock windscreen on again! In this situation the handling of your bike can be seriously changed.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:49 am

having switched from a Goldwing to a K 1200 GT, I'm not afraid of a "simple" tall windshield...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode