Newbie question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Newbie question

1st post, I bought my GT last summer for about $8.5K with about 4k miles on it, minor cosmetic damage (need to look at it just so) and so far I ride it every chance I get and have more than doubled the original mileage

are there any ways to increase hp on the 2003/04 GT model?

I was told that an aftermarket exaust was an easy one but the dealer poo poo'd the idea

it's not that I need to mod the bike but just wanted to know what options were out there from those that have been there before me

also, I am probably not even getting close to max performing the bike and I wanted to know if there were any courses out there you could take to learn how to get more out of the k1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:04 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman
1st post, I bought my GT last summer for about $8.5K with about 4k miles on it, minor cosmetic damage (need to look at it just so) and so far I ride it every chance I get and have more than doubled the original mileage
Welcome to the site. Good info here, just have to dig it out sometimes.
Quote:

are there any ways to increase hp on the 2003/04 GT model?

I was told that an aftermarket exaust was an easy one but the dealer poo poo'd the idea

it's not that I need to mod the bike but just wanted to know what options were out there from those that have been there before me
You might try Rhinewest in San Antonio, Texas. They have a couple of options, matching a ECU chip with a low-restriction exhaust, and a chip/cam-gear change (keeping the original exhaust) that gives more midrange. Another chip provider is Ztecnic, who I believe makes both a chip and an exhaust for the K1200's.
Quote:

also, I am probably not even getting close to max performing the bike and I wanted to know if there were any courses out there you could take to learn how to get more out of the k1200GT
Track schools. Keith Code, Freddie Spencer, Reg Pridmore and others would be a place to start. At that point, it's really not bike-specific, but the rider. I do know that Keith Code will allow you to bring your own bike for the school, with some considerations (gear you bring or rent theirs, tires at 90% or better, etc.)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 9:14 pm
Veteran

Repoman.. first thing you need to learn is that almost without exception, the staff at most dealerships are morons.. and the ones that aren't.. have an agenda. Those guys are hired because they can talk people into buying things..You'll find better info HERE than in your BMW dealership.

Second.. there are lots of ways to add HP to the GT.. chips, cam kits, at least 6 different aftermarket exhausts... ALL adding some HP.. some adding more than others.. The question is... why and where do you want the power? The RW cam kit gives it to you low.. the RW chip smooths out the powerband to give you 10hp more across the entire rev range.. virtually all the exhausts give you more on top AND less weight. Depends on your goal and the thickness of your wallet.

BTW.. watched one of my favorite movies last night.. Repo Man from 1986... Is it true what they say..? "The life of a repo man is always intense...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:24 am Thread Starter

chip installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Welcome to the site. Good info here, just have to dig it out sometimes.You might try Rhinewest in San Antonio, Texas. They have a couple of options, matching a ECU chip with a low-restriction exhaust, and a chip/cam-gear change (keeping the original exhaust) that gives more midrange. Another chip provider is Ztecnic, who I believe makes both a chip and an exhaust for the K1200's.Track schools. Keith Code, Freddie Spencer, Reg Pridmore and others would be a place to start. At that point, it's really not bike-specific, but the rider. I do know that Keith Code will allow you to bring your own bike for the school, with some considerations (gear you bring or rent theirs, tires at 90% or better, etc.)
just how complex is the installation, I went to the site and it looks like a computer cpu upgrade is there any bios flash being needed??

I am looking for low end torque so if I go with a new exaust do I also have to tune the emissions for that exaust? my perception is that if you simply change the exaust you must also make upstream adjustments like fuel control unit, exaust gas temp (EGT) modifications etc

I don't want to take the time to learn how to become a cert. bmw mechanic I just want a little extra power off the line and am looking for the 80/20 that is 80% gain on 20% accumulated inputs

thx
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Repoman.. first thing you need to learn is that almost without exception, the staff at most dealerships are morons.. and the ones that aren't.. have an agenda. Those guys are hired because they can talk people into buying things..You'll find better info HERE than in your BMW dealership.

Second.. there are lots of ways to add HP to the GT.. chips, cam kits, at least 6 different aftermarket exhausts... ALL adding some HP.. some adding more than others.. The question is... why and where do you want the power? The RW cam kit gives it to you low.. the RW chip smooths out the powerband to give you 10hp more across the entire rev range.. virtually all the exhausts give you more on top AND less weight. Depends on your goal and the thickness of your wallet.

BTW.. watched one of my favorite movies last night.. Repo Man from 1986... Is it true what they say..? "The life of a repo man is always intense...?

I haven't seen repoman in years, what a great film from one of the monkeys!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:29 am
Veteran

The chip install isn't bad if you know how to pull off her panties...er.. plastic and remove the gas tank.. With a shop manual you can do the install in about 1-1.5 hours. I've seen the guys at RW do it in 45 minutes...

The cam kit install is over my peon head. It offers all the power down low for a serious kick-ass off the line improvement. I usually suggest pros or dealers do that install.

Installing an exhaust on these bikes isn't easy but doable. I'd never do another. I'd rather pay a dealer $100 to do the dirty work but that's just me.

I'll assume you are unfamiliar with these bikes.. You don't have to adjust anything on these bikes.. that's the beauty of them.. after installing aftermarket performance goodies.. Just unplug the battery for a few hours during the install ..the motronic box will clear all the old info .. then when you restart the bike the computer will read the new hardware and adjust accordingly..Most will also re-set the throttle sensor switch which takes all of 8 seconds..

I suggest you buy yourself a shop manual and become one with your bike.. well worth the $50

Quote:
just how complex is the installation. I am looking for low end torque so if I go with a new exaust do I also have to tune the emissions for that exaust? my perception is that if you simply change the exaust you must also make upstream adjustments like fuel control unit, exaust gas temp (EGT) modifications etc

I just want a little extra power off the line and am looking for the 80/20 that is 80% gain on 20% accumulated inputs

thx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode