GT Differences 03-04 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:46 am Thread Starter

GT Differences 03-04

I was curious if anyone knows if there where any production/design differences in the K1200 GT from the years 2003 to 2004. I was told there are not any changes between the years.

Any experts out there?

Thanks

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:41 pm

I am an expert in nothing, but AFAIK, the GT model never had "differences", they were all built under the same from 02 to it's end in 04 - http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.asp

The RS had model changes in 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMP1602
I was curious if anyone knows if there where any production/design differences in the K1200 GT from the years 2003 to 2004. I was told there are not any changes between the years.

Any experts out there?

Thanks

Shawn
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 2:57 pm
Looking for better limits...

Some slight differences. As far as I know, the '03 GT had all the options as "standard"...cruise control, electric windscreen, heated seat, painted panniers. '04 added the Piedmont red color, and the options listed became options again. I think this was due to the discontinuing of the RS, and the GT was getting one more production year such that you could get a GT equipped like an RS, just no adjustable bars anymore. But, you lost the varied paint schemes the RS had. Also, keep in mind model years generally don't mean much, it's production runs that have new goodies or absence of them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 6:22 pm
bcg

Were there any specific reasons for producing the GT "light" (no cruise, or heated grips/seat) version that showed up in '05 in the US? lthough the RS did not have heated seats, production models '02 and after all had cruise and heated grips. I don't care about the grips and seat but the cruise would still be niced to have.

Yuan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 7:09 pm

Don't know that any '05 models got to the U.S. unless purchased in Canada. And, I think all come with heated grips. '05 introduced "Silver" to the color choices. One sold in the U.S. were probably 04's that came from the wharehouse. 04 and 05 models were probably emptying out the parts bins...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Of course there was a reason......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg
Were there any specific reasons for producing the GT "light" (no cruise, or heated grips/seat) version that showed up in '05 in the US? lthough the RS did not have heated seats, production models '02 and after all had cruise and heated grips. I don't care about the grips and seat but the cruise would still be niced to have.

Yuan
You bet. Profits. BMW soon realized that these features should be represented as "accessories". Why bundle when you can sell them a la carte? Glad I got the 2003 GT with all the extras bundled in.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 5:10 pm
Enthusiast

I believe the seat cover is different...

The '03 has a one piece seat cover and the '04 has a two piece seat cover. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
I am an expert in nothing, but AFAIK, the GT model never had "differences", they were all built under the same from 02 to it's end in 04 - http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.asp

The RS had model changes in 2000.
The GT didn't "end" in 04, BMW chose not to export them to the US after 04.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
The '03 has a one piece seat cover and the '04 has a two piece seat cover. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I have an '03 with a two-piece seat cover

I will mention that the seat I have now is the third, with the first one not heating, and the second one developing a hot spot that eventually burned through the cover itself. All this to say that I don't think the seat cover was a model year item as much as when they ran out of supply with the one piece and/or went to a different vendor.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
My grey-green '04 has a one piece seat cover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode