Heavy Throttle Spring? Any replacements? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Heavy Throttle Spring? Any replacements?

Hello All,
I always knew the K1200RS has a heavy throttle spring. Any reason why BMW put that in? I don't know what sense that it makes. I check out the throttle springs at the dealer, the new K1200S, and the R series all have lighter throttle springs.
I rode about 200 miles todays in the twisty....not only did my bike got a good workout, my right hand, connected to my shoulder got sore from twisting that dam heavy spring.
Any suggestions on what to do? Can one change it to a weaker spring?

Plastics
99 K1200RS (silver/blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 8:38 pm
Veteran

Been discussed, there is a fix. Check the archives... Search for throttle spring
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:01 am

Throttle rocker

I installed a throttle rocker. It's a handle on the ritht end of the grip and allows the palm to "twist" the throttle. I also considered installing covers over the gips to give them a larger diameter. There is a way to change the positions of the springs that reduces the tension, it is a difficult and complicated procedure, but check it out for yourself and make your own judgements.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:34 am

this may help

the written procedure is located in the achives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle_spring_done.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	583  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 5:40 am
Addict

As Digs posted, the throttle spring mod makes the throttle so comfortable, I can now rest my palm on an open throttle during cruise, to excercise and reduce white knuckle vibes! I seem to remember you can choose how many springs you alter, I went for the full Monty, but check lock to lock that the throttle sliders always hit the bottom stops quickly with a click and there is free play in the cable (else your idle and ECU will suffer bad data feedback)

Before moving the springs, pass a piece of thread round the loop before moving it off the stock stop, just in case the spring wants to move all the way past its intended resting place.

I used a 8" lenth of 1/8 rod (modify a screwdriver) with a V groove notch cut in the end, to hold and manouvre the spring end to the new position.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 9:24 am Thread Starter

throttle spring

thanks all,
I do have a throttle rocker which helps a bit.
For for the throttle spring readjustment procedure, that doesn't seem like something I can do myself.. (I can only add gas, adjust tire pressure, check oil/replace)..so I'll have my mechanic take a look soon.

Plastics
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:17 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastics
Hello All,
I always knew the K1200RS has a heavy throttle spring. Any reason why BMW put that in? I don't know what sense that it makes.
Plastics
99 K1200RS (silver/blue)
The heavy springs are neccessary to return a worn throttle cable, especially when making a tight left hand turn. This apparently bends the cable housing more than it already is.

I relaxed all 3 springs on mine a couple of years ago but recently ran into the cable sticking with slow speed tight left hand turns. Twisting the throttle was giving a delayed response. The most aft spring was reconnected and all seems to be working well now. However, a new throttle cable is on order.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Talking throttle spring

You just open up one turn on returnspring. Please remember, just one turn of the spring.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 4:01 pm
Addict

Before I slackened my springs, I checked the throttle cable run with bar risers fitted and added a light spring fixed to the cable outer and the centre yolk. Wherever my steering goes the cable always returns to the same place AND I can read the clock.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 7:49 pm

Coundn't find it in the archive at this site. Would very much like to know how to do this adjustment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode