RS vs GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:32 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

RS vs GT

Hi guys, new to the forum and just getting back to riding after a long time away.

After some reading/research I have decided on a K1200RS/GT but am still a bit unsure about the differences between the two, if there is any.

At the macro-level, is the GT the follow-on to the RS? Are they essentially the same bike just updated as new models are made? For example, does the RS and GT have the same seating style or is the RS more "agressive"? I know they are both "sport touring" but is the RS more "sport" when compared to the GT?

My riding will be 90% solo and 10% with the wife so I do want her to feel safe and secure.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

thanks.

v/r
Wayne C.
San Diego, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 1:12 pm
Noob

They are the same basic bikes. I think that from 02 to 04 the GT came with cruise control. It also has the electric windshield, heated seat and grips, extra hand guard, extended leg guard, and color matching saddle bags. The motor, frame, tires,etc. are the same.
You can not go wrong with either choice. I ride the 04 GT, and my son has the 04 RS.

Trigger

trigger

HI-HO SILVER, AWAY
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 3:24 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thanks Trigger...I have found a couple of RSs, hope to buy one this week.

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 3:33 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Just found this thread...a good discussion on the differences.

Wayne
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 7:36 pm
Looking for better limits...

It also depended on what year the RS was made. But, a number of options available for the RS were standard on the GT. RS got a wider variety of paint schemes. The biggest difference, in my opinion, was the bars...adjustable on the RS, non-adjustable on the GT. This may have been due to the GT's standard windscreen being the optional RS's Comfort Screen. Issue with the mirrors hitting the windscreen.

When it gets to the '04 version, it was just a matter of shopping for the right combination of options. You could get a heated seat for an RS off the showroom floor, and also get a GT without the cruise control. The GT was introduced in '03, so it got all the goodies. The '04 production was more mixed, and the '05 was just the GT (and available only outside the U.S.) What ended up being unique for the '04 GT was the handguards, screen, fairing extensions, and matching bag lids.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger
The motor, frame, tires,etc. are the same.

Trigger
Actually...I believe the GT has a wider rear wheel. I would go for the GT. More of everything a touring guy wants and needs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2008, 1:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlesw
Hi guys, new to the forum and just getting back to riding after a long time away.

After some reading/research I have decided on a K1200RS/GT but am still a bit unsure about the differences between the two, if there is any.

v/r
Wayne C.
San Diego, CA
Welcome Wayne! There are a few of us K12RS folks here in SO. Calif. If you're looking for a 02-04 basically, there are some good ones out there. Prices are down a little. But the bike is FANTASTIC. As others have said, look at the BIKE and the options it has, and whether or not you like it as configured. RS/GT in those model years is like Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Marquis. Under the blush, they are the SAME, or can be configured so. Painted bags... scratch, Handguards... can be added... as can heated seats, blah...blah...

Good Luck!

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
It also depended on what year the RS was made. But, a number of options available for the RS were standard on the GT. RS got a wider variety of paint schemes. The biggest difference, in my opinion, was the bars...adjustable on the RS, non-adjustable on the GT. This may have been due to the GT's standard windscreen being the optional RS's Comfort Screen. Issue with the mirrors hitting the windscreen.

When it gets to the '04 version, it was just a matter of shopping for the right combination of options. You could get a heated seat for an RS off the showroom floor, and also get a GT without the cruise control. The GT was introduced in '03, so it got all the goodies. The '04 production was more mixed, and the '05 was just the GT (and available only outside the U.S.) What ended up being unique for the '04 GT was the handguards, screen, fairing extensions, and matching bag lids.

Actually I have a 2003 RS and the rear wheel is the same 5.5 size as the GT. This was an option on the RS at one point in time and became standard equipment toward the end of the models life.

Howard

Motosport 2015 K1300S
Tricolor 2010 K1300S
Capri Blue 2003 K1200RS (SOLD)
Red 1994 k75 (SOLD)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2008, 10:09 am

The RS and GT 02-04 are basiclly the same. GT seat is thicker/wider than RS and most are heated. Bars/risers are taller and not the same(barbacks for RS will not fit GT) Winscreen on GT is electricly adjustable and 4" taller (but can be fitted to RS) The seat of the pants fit of the RS is alittle sportier than the GT , the GT is more sporttouring .The thicker wider seat allows less bend in the knee and the slightly taller bars allow less lean or reach for the bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode