FJR price getting closer to GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

FJR price getting closer to GT

I see the new FJ with the automatic tranny is $21,000 Cdn. That's getting close to the BMW price. Last April I had a choice of low interest financing or a few thousand off the list price on an 05 GT. I chose the discount and ended up getting the bike for $22K including a back rest. Of course maybe the 06 GT is going up in price. We will just have to wait and see.

As an aside it looks like the new S powered GT is finally going to outgun the FJ in the horsepower wars. 150HP for the GT vs 145 Hp for the FJ.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...n=ov&model=580
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:53 pm

FJR no cluuch is very strange

I went to the Houston Motorcycle Show yesterday, they had the new FJR. I found it too strange to want to get used to the idea of no clutch. It's not for me.

I have two bikes, both BMW's. It would be impossible for me to own more than one bike if one of them is the no clutch FJR, I don't think I could go back and forth between the bikes w/o giving up something in "the feel" of the bikes.

The Honda VFR Interceptor in the new black color is way cool. What a fantastic paint job, a black metallic with a lot of depth and richness. It almost looks three dimensional. This is a bike I like a lot.

Ron
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 1:25 am

FJR price getting closer to GT

I looked at a FJR and could have had a very tempting deal with a local owner, but the clincher was the SERIOUS heat comming off the engine, particularly the left hand side. This is a well documented 'feature' of this model. The K12GT that I know own is positively frigid in comparison. Do you know if the new FJR model has addressed this issue? If not, I don't see why anyone would buy one - the automatic transmission is just a gimmick in comparison to the heat issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 7:44 am
Veteran

Heat managment is supposed to be one of the issues that Yamaha has addressed on the 06.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 9:10 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
Heat managment is supposed to be one of the issues that Yamaha has addressed on the 06.
Yes they have addressed it and it is said to be improved.

But...improved may only mean the the heat has been turned down form broil to bake.

Honda supposedly addressed the heat issue on the ST1300 but it's still a furnance.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2005, 8:40 am

Not so much about price

I rode both the FJR1300 and the ST1300 and dismissed those from my selection choice before I bought the K1200RS.

---FJR1300 , yes, it is a furnace, and the instruments are design by aliens, and I found it gutless around town, and no soul.

---ST1300, another furnace..it is so easy to ride, it is like driving a Honda Civic...and that's the problem, no rider involvement.... and it looks like a piggish-scooter.

The K1200RS has the rider involvement that I am looking for as well as the real-world torque which neither the FJR or the ST can match

Plastics
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Honda supposedly addressed the heat issue on the ST1300 but it's still a furnance
That's one of the reasons I owned the ST1300 for one year.
I loved the windshield on the ST1300 and wish my GT's, which is now a tall Z-Tech, was half as good for my 6-5 frame, and it 's not.The side luggage bags were worlds better and more useful on the ST also.
However comma, the bike had no personality,and I HATED the high pitched whistling sound it made , especially at lower speeds, and getting baked from both sides got to be a real drag.
I love Honda products generally, but that noise, the heat off the engine , and the fact it just lacked character or something just didn't do it for me.
I've come to love my GT, it's electronic cruise, the heated seats and grips, the really agile handling for a pretty heavy bike, this ones a keeper for me.
I'll be looking at some exhaust options here really soon, I'd like it to have a little more character to it.
On some off-road (not motocross) bikes you can remove an insert and get a sound a little louder and still quite acceptable to the USFS, like my 450X. Too bad you can't do that with these K bikes-or can you ?
I've been tempted to pull those 4 bolts and look around. I sure don't want it loud for Gods sake, just a little throatier. Doug
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:24 pm
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=sinc]I see the new FJ with the automatic tranny is $21,000 Cdn. That's getting close to the BMW price. Last April I had a choice of low interest financing or a few thousand off the list price on an 05 GT. I chose the discount and ended up getting the bike for $22K including a back rest. Of course maybe the 06 GT is going up in price. We will just have to wait and see.QUOTE]

Not so sure that $21000CDN is very close to $26,600 CDN (the basic cost of the 06 GT). Still, I'd rather have the GT.

Bob.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=RFWILSON]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinc
I see the new FJ with the automatic tranny is $21,000 Cdn. That's getting close to the BMW price. Last April I had a choice of low interest financing or a few thousand off the list price on an 05 GT. I chose the discount and ended up getting the bike for $22K including a back rest. Of course maybe the 06 GT is going up in price. We will just have to wait and see.QUOTE]

Not so sure that $21000CDN is very close to $26,600 CDN (the basic cost of the 06 GT). Still, I'd rather have the GT.

Bob.
At the time (November 05), I was comparing the price of the 05 GT to the new 06 FJR (before they announced the price of the new GT). The 05 GT listed at $24, 950 Cdn, which isn't that far off $21, 000 Cdn for the FJR, closer anyway. Plus, I don't know if Yamaha has been discounting the FJR the way BMW has been discounting the GT (and RS) over the last few years, but I doubt it. As I mentioned in my original note, after the discount, my 05 GT was $22K, only a thousand bucks off of the cost of an FJR...less than that if you remove the GT backrest (over $500) from the equation.

I agree with you tho, I'd rather have a GT (05 or 06) over the Yamahaha.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2006, 9:45 am
Addict

Don't you guys in Canada want the heat from the engine? Seems like it's cold most of the year up there. Oh, I forgot...not much riding going on in the winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode