K1200RS won't start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2008, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS won't start

howdy all,

i'm new to the forum and need some help. I'm on a 98 k1200rs and the bike won't start anymore. It was fine when i left in februar, last year, to china. i came back 6 months later and the bike was never started. yeah i know, what was i thinking. i gave it to a friend to let him use it but he never even started it.

so when i turned the bike over it started up but it felt like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. there was a total lack of power and rough running. i put fresh gas in it and some injector cleaner, a little, and the by won't turn over anymore.

i told my BMW tech, while i was in for oil on my RT, what happened and he said just change the gas and put in new plugs. well i just added gas, i figured it would be ok, and swapped new plugs. much to my joy the bike still refuses to turn over. i''ve cranked it and cranked it and tried push starting, maybe a distance of a 1/4 mile at this point. i'm about to take the bike in but have a feeling it's something simple that i can do on my own. i know how to work on bikes but haven't ever touched a beamer.

any thoughts or suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Check the kill switch...make sure it's not on.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2008, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

it's not...unless there is one besides the one on th right bar.

it will try to turn over but never will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2008, 9:04 pm
Veteran

Do what your tech said. Fully charge the battery before you do any more cranking, siphon ALL the gas out of it, pull the probably now soaked plugs out, put them back in their boots and ground the plugs against the engine. Spin the engine without any plugs in it, but with a rag in front of the plug holes(have a fire extinguisher nearby). Put in ANOTHER set of plugs and fresh gas and try again.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:18 pm

It makes me wonder if your injectors could be glogged. Were the spark plugs wet? Do you hear the fuel pump working? If you run the starter with one spurk plug out and still connected to its wire do you see sparks? Make sure it is grounded to a dry metal before trying that, and of course don't touch the plug.

Please keep us in the loop with your finding.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2008, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

The plugs get wet, i'll check up on the spark later today. we'll see what happens but i am very sure they are getting a spark.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Rookie

Kick stand down ?

If it is, transmission needs to be in neutral.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2008, 5:31 pm
Rookie

good luck

My guess is its something simple but you could through alot of time and money at her and not fegure it out. So "just me" take it in and have them do a bight check. something similar happend to me though it was the throttle position sensor and they adjusted it and all was right till the next time.
have you tried the special realining or resetting the throttle were you turn your ign. on then screw your throttle three times then turn the ign. off its worth a shot...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2008, 4:33 pm

Check the fuel filter (which is inside the tank) - I had one rupture and the bike would crank forever, but never light off - becuase of the rupture in the filter, you could never get fuel pressure to the injectors - gas just recirculated through the tank.

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 4:44 am
Addict

He said the plugs are wet so he's getting fuel.

He's probably flooded the motor with all the cranking. After removing a plug to see if there's a spark, remove all the other plugs clean and cook them together on a gas flame for 10 minutes so they get nice and hot. Put them all back quickly and it should fire up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode