Paralever Bearings Change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2008, 1:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Paralever Bearings Change

A small amount of sideways movement on the rear wheel of my 2003 GT from worn paralever pivot bearings, prompted me to replace them. It has proved to be a fairly straightforward job, as some of you probably know, as I understand it is a common problem on K1200's. It is necessary, according to the manual, to heat the two pivot pins to 120C, using a hot air gun, prior to undoing them which, I assumed, was to break the hold of "Loctite" on the threads. After they were removed, there indeed appeared to be Loctite residue on the threads which I cleaned off. On re-fitting I checked the tightening torques, using the BMW manual (CD) as reference, and was supprised to see that the use of Loctite was not specified here.
Has anyone out there done this job who can confirm that Loctite isn't required ? Also can anyone tell me why if it isn't used, why is it necessary to heat the pivot pins ?

Confused !! Neville.

Last edited by NevilleG; Feb 1st, 2008 at 2:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2008, 3:36 pm
"DELIVERS"

Probably too late but it's best to upgrade to bushings:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...lever+bushings

http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/bushings.html

-Rob

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 5:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bushings?

Thanks Milkman but I didn't know anything of that upgrade. I am in the UK ( Scotland) so is this something that comes from the US ? As you say, too late now but if I have the same problem in the future, I will look into it.
NEV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

Loctite

What I forgot to say was that my query is about the use of Loctite on the pin threads during the rebuild. Nev.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:01 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleG
What I forgot to say was that my query is about the use of Loctite on the pin threads during the rebuild. Nev.
I didn't use Loctite when I replaced mine after destroying 1 swingarm trying to remove the old bearings. I also dropped the tightening torque 10% ( but that was my personal decision) and put punch marks on the lock nuts so I can check if they move.

My front bearing holders were well oiled with some spray from a long time leaking timing cover. They were still at correct torque, no Loctite and they came out fairly easily.

I think if you have a newish bike the bearings come out a lot easier. Mine is a '97 bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

Use of Loctite

Thanks for that Voxmagna. You seem to have confirmed my own thoughts in that the use of locking liquids in the wrong place can do more harm than good. Even so I still don't understand why it was a requirement to heat the pivot pins to undo them, nor why there was, what appeared to be, evidence of old loctite on the threads of both the pins (pegs?) and the locknut. Bearing in mind that these bearings may well need attention again in the not too distant future, loctite free seems the best way to go.
End of story. Thanks. Neville.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:15 am
Addict

I think it has a lot to do with manufacturer liability. They have to assume that somebody with no motorcycle experience can buy a new bike, do no maintenance or basic regular checks and all the key parts must hold together. You'll find they also use Loctite around the steering and fork parts too.

Since the bearings can wear even a small amount that you feel the difference, I can't imagine riders wouldn't notice if the caps loosened. I think the massive torque they set more or less guarantees the ali threads on the rear journals will bind anyway. For most of us, removing the swing arm is the first step to fixing most problems, so I expect mine to be off again some time in the future.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:11 am

I used heat to loosen the bolts, did not remove either and simply re-torqued them, I figure the loctite will harden.
If I remove them, I will not use loctite, there is plenty of torque on the locking nut to keep it in place. I used a magic marker to indicate any movement.
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode