UK cost of US made components - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 7:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

UK cost of US made components

Following my query about replacing my paralever pivot bearings, I followed up on Milkmans suggestion of replacing the taper roller bearings with a bushing kit. This kit is another US made product which costs you guys over there $119 + $8 shipping, but judging by my recent experience buying bar-backs from Pirates Lair, would cost us here in the UK twice that ammount. Sure, it will solve the problem in the long term but the cost is likely to be prohibitive to us.
The cost of importing those Bar- Backs worked out like this:-
Bar-Backs ---- $150 ( £73.89 )
Freight to UK - $90 ( £44.33 )
Import Taxes - $44.39 ( £21.87 )

Total:- $284.39 ( £140.09 ) !!!!

You guys in the US are extremely lucky to have such a selection of bike accessory manufactures making realy great products for you which enable you to both improve and customise your bikes. If anybody has got any ideas how we in the UK can get access to all this stuff at similar prices, please let me know. I will soon be in the market for an Aeroflow screen for my 2003 GT. HELP !!
NEV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleG
The cost of importing those Bar- Backs worked out like this:-
Bar-Backs ---- $150 ( £73.89 )
Freight to UK - $90 ( £44.33 )
Import Taxes - $44.39 ( £21.87 )

Total:- $284.39 ( £140.09 ) !!!!

You guys in the US are extremely lucky to have such a selection of bike accessory manufactures making realy great products for you which enable you to both improve and customise your bikes. If anybody has got any ideas how we in the UK can get access to all this stuff at similar prices, please let me know. I will soon be in the market for an Aeroflow screen for my 2003 GT. HELP !!
NEV.
If time is not an issue, I'm sure you could prevail upon some U.S. member's good nature to accept your payment and forward you the item(s) ... perhaps there are some UK or Euro-only parts someone might want in return? (a Schuberth helmet perhaps?) If marked up as a 'gift' this would likely save you the import taxes at the very least... and $90 (USD) freight seems awfully high to me for such a small package, even with the obligatory insurance costs tacked on... again, if time is not an issue USPS 'ground' transport is a much cheaper way to ship overseas... be aware that it may take up to a month to arrive though, depending on the container shipment its assigned to... I sent a 15lb package to Hof, DE (Germany) this way a while back and it only cost me $20 USD, incl. insurance.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:29 am
Rookie

I was trying to get the US only GPS bracket from BobsBMW, and was quoted $39.59, with shipping to the UK about $40-50.

Just bought a Garmin 2610 holder and wiring from Caiman-USA, via Amazon, and am required to pay our Post Office £12.30 (approx 25$) when I collect it from their depot. Import tax, I presume.

Douglas C.
1998 K1200RS
1968 Triumph T120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:35 pm
Noob

What you pay in the UK

When you pick up from the Post Office in the UK you pay duty if applicable + VAT + handling charge so be careful when you buy in the US. But it can still work. I recently bought PIAA spots from Amazon for about £90. At NippyNormans, a UK agent for PIAA, he sells for £329.
Also marking as Gift doesn't work any more. But it does make bit-buying more of a challenge.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Question What you pay in the UK

Can't us Yanks just ship the parts directly to your home via Fed Ex or UPS International and avoid any taxes in the UK?

Pete

2003 K12RS/GT
1995 525i 5spd
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2008, 5:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

US Direct

Unfortunately Pete, that's illegal and the goods would be confiscated if checked by Customs. Goods can be sent as a "Gift", but customs are tightening up on this loophole. I believe it might be OK to send "secondhand" or "used" parts which would at least avoid the import taxes but even so it's the freighting charges that add most of the extra cost to us. Those Barbacks were shipped by FedEx to me and the package only weighed about 1 pound yet cost me $90, as quoted by Pirates Lair. If something being sent was to be designated " used " I guess it would have to be shown to have been used i.e. marked or slightly scratched. Maybe just removing it from its original packing and re-boxing it would be enough, I don't know. With regard to the shipping cost, is Fedex the cheapest way to go or is the US post cheaper ? It may be that most suppliers tend to use commercial carriers because speed of delivery is most important to them, whereas we would be happy to wait if the cost was more reasonable by other means.
It would certainly be nice to think that I could find a genuine and trustworthy buddy in the US that would be prepared to help out, bearing in mind that it would probably mean working out all the arrangements of the deal outside of this site so some further disclosure of personal details would be necessary. Food for thought eh !
Neville.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode