Oh oh - K1200RS kill switch / turn cancel not working - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Oh oh - K1200RS kill switch / turn cancel not working

Hi all
Panicking slightly, hope someone can offer advice

Fitting PIAAs on my K1200RS '98 - finally found a good arrangement for all the bits and the autoswitch. Pressed the top connector out to access the brown/white wire and soldered away, checked the fitting but managed to bend one of the pins in the male side of the connector....

Now everything works except for the turn cancel and kill switch! What the heck have i managed to do? Anyone know where those 2 switched go to by any chance (and whether i've fried the ecu - flamin hope not!)

In short help needed please

Last edited by CeeJay; Feb 9th, 2008 at 4:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Update - traced to the 2 switches

Hi guys

My understanding of the 2 switches is that both the turn cancel and kill switch are make / break contacts - i.e. expect resistance when pressed otherwise open circuit. Both of mine are open circuit whether pressed or not according to the volt meter

Rather than replace the entire r/h switchgear...has anyone else ever tried to replace the individual switches??

Cheers

Charl
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Veteran

Charl

This might help. It's from an old '85-'92 K100 manual. But check your wiring like it was the same and see what your ohmmeter reads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf k100 wiring diagram-1.pdf (879.6 KB, 23 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:56 am

When you press the turn signal, it momentarily BREAKS contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay
both the turn cancel and kill switch are make / break contacts - i.e. expect resistance when pressed otherwise open circuit. Both of mine are open circuit whether pressed or not according to the volt meter
I confirm, at least the left turn switch on a 1999 BMW K1200RS is an always-on momentarily-open electrical connection; when you press the orange turn-signal thumb paddle, it pushes down on a rubber capped white plastic head which pushes down on a keyholed hollow white plastic cylinder which has a tiny 1mm wide paper-thin white plastic guillotine in the center which separates two brass contacts momentarily; which turns on the turn signals.

I'm at this very moment writing up a thread titled "K12RS balky left-turn switch (what's the most common cause?)" containing detailed disassembly and reassembly pictures over at
K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K1200RS/GT (Classic)
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...739#post113739

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handlebar.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	8435  

Last edited by donnatello; Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:01 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in