EBC Rear Rotor Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2008, 12:56 pm Thread Starter
Addict

EBC Rear Rotor Question

I've looked around the Web for the EBC equivalent for a K1200RS (1999) Rear Rotor. I've found two different numbers. The first is MD 653, the second is MD 661. I'm thinking one is for the pre-2002 models....

Can anyone clarify which one I need to order?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:03 am
Addict

Check which pads they say are compatible. I have this feeling when I looked at this that the newer bikes can use the HH pads front and rear, whereas my '97 is soft pads for the rear. That made me wonder if the metal alloy might be different between the 2 rotor versions.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 7:01 pm Thread Starter
Addict

FA18 pads

From what I have found, the FA18 is the recommended pads all the way back to the first K bikes back in 1985 (same basic caliper), although some sources say FA18 HH.

Still very confusing.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2008, 8:55 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickasabrick
From what I have found, the FA18 is the recommended pads all the way back to the first K bikes back in 1985 (same basic caliper), although some sources say FA18 HH.

Still very confusing.
I agree. I even found a spec page table on the EBC site that showed their rotors and which pads were compatible. When I went back some months later to answer another post, I wasn't seeing the same data I'm sure I saw the first time. Have you tried emailing EBC?

I use FA18 Kevlar and put up with the dust because that's cheaper than a worn rotor, but I don't ride the brakes hard.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:45 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Ebc

I'm going to email them, as it is the only way I can be sure. One of the things I'll ask is why there seems to be so much confusion about this. I appreciate your response, since I was beginning to think it was just me.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:15 pm
Veteran

I have a question on this. Since a '99 KRS(model year the OP is seeking info on) comes with ABS(according to the Hammersly fiche) and the disc has the same part number as my '04 KRS, does an aftermarket KRS rear disc come with the ABS sensor wheel or are you left to your own devices to attach your old ABS wheel to the plain aftermarket disc you just bought???

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 4:35 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
I have a question on this. Since a '99 KRS(model year the OP is seeking info on) comes with ABS(according to the Hammersly fiche) and the disc has the same part number as my '04 KRS, does an aftermarket KRS rear disc come with the ABS sensor wheel or are you left to your own devices to attach your old ABS wheel to the plain aftermarket disc you just bought???
I'm pretty certain when I had a good look at the rear rotor off the bike that you are into some serious work to remove the ABS ring which I wouldn't expect from an aftermarket replacement for the bike model. I think I saw rivets and read something about the ABS ring being heated to remove it - a common assembly method on these bikes.

I was looking into this because I thought it might be possible to use rotors from other earlier bike models some of which had cast steel rotors, instead of the stainless they use on the oem. However, I abandoned the research when I came up against differences in the rotor position in relation to the caliper center line.

I always thought the reason why the rear rotor was so expensive (even as aftermarket) was because it came with the ABS ring attached, but I might be wrong.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2008, 6:15 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Confirmed....

Per email from "John" at EBC, MD661 is the correct rear rotor for the K1200RS (This would be the same for the Classic GT). He sent a picture also which shows that I do need to reuse my original ABS ring.

I'm going to email the vendors that I have found that refer to the MD653 so they may correct in their charts.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 4:40 pm
Addict

I saw EBC rotors for BMW a J C Whitney page http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/V...014438/c-10111

Barza
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2008, 7:25 am
Enthusiast

You can change the ABS ring to the new rotor easily. Heat up the mounting screws with a propane torch to loosen up the thread lock, they will come out without tearing up the heads of the screws.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode