What Price for 03 KRS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 9:52 am Thread Starter

What Price for 03 KRS

What price should I expect for a blue / white zebra 2003 KRS with just under 15k miles? I've checked listings from the past few months and see a range from $7500 to over $11k, which seems pretty wide. Assume stock set up, heated grips but not seat, excellent shape, new metzlers. I have some farkles but may remove them for the next bike. Had the 12k checkup and did spline lube last fall.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

John

...enter something catchy here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:07 am
Enthusiast

I know that I have seen low mileage, less than 4k, K1200GT's for $8,000 US.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I guess it depends where you live. Are there BMW dealers in your area? I've read in Forums that some beemer owner need to ride over two hours to get to a BMW dealer. If you live in a area with no dealers this would most likely affect the selling market and will dimish the value.

Over the years I have also noticed price differences in the used market between the East and West coast. I found them generally less expensive in the West coast. The color of the bike and/or added accessories will make a difference too. For a fully stock 2003 KRS with 15K miles I think you could expect about $8000, if the bike is in excellent conditions.

I have also seen a 2003 GT for $8K or less but one specific sale shouldn't be setting the benchmark for the general market, although everyone is looking for these deals.

Check with your local dealer. How much are they asking for a bike like yours with similar mileage? Just take off $2K from their asking price and that is what you should expect to get for yours.

Good luck

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Consult www.nadaguides.com or www.kbb.com
Then price accordingly and wait...then wait some more....and then some more! Eventually some old focker with a foreign accent will come along and buy it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
I know that I have seen low mileage, less than 4k, K1200GT's for $8,000 US.
What you see and what you get are more often than not two different things! Lot's of phony ads out there designed to throw off would be buyers and sellers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 5:05 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMertz
What price should I expect for a blue / white zebra 2003 KRS with just under 15k miles? I've checked listings from the past few months and see a range from $7500 to over $11k, which seems pretty wide. Assume stock set up, heated grips but not seat, excellent shape, new metzlers. I have some farkles but may remove them for the next bike. Had the 12k checkup and did spline lube last fall.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

John
I've got an '04 GT with similar miles.
Currently being offered 'tween 8 and 8,500 wholesale.
Realistically, if you lived in in N-E Ohio, I'd figure $9 - 9,500ish, give or take. Assuming you want to sell privately , not trade-in value.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 12:57 pm
Rookie

I think it is about to be a very interesting market. The early S models are about to be out of warranty and there is a good group of those already up for sale. So personally I think the RS is going to become more and more a bargin over the next year. BMW will be pushing the new models, there will always be that group who wants the newest thing on the block, the group that buys because they think they like to ride to find out the bike becomes a nice piece of garage decoration, etc.... People who do not know any better will think the RS models are old, rather than one of the nicest and coolest rides around. My 2 cents.

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 1:43 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubmw
I think it is about to be a very interesting market. The early S models are about to be out of warranty and there is a good group of those already up for sale. So personally I think the RS is going to become more and more a bargin over the next year. BMW will be pushing the new models, there will always be that group who wants the newest thing on the block, the group that buys because they think they like to ride to find out the bike becomes a nice piece of garage decoration, etc.... People who do not know any better will think the RS models are old, rather than one of the nicest and coolest rides around. My 2 cents.
Ditto....also wouldn't buy an S or GT2 from their first 2 years...too many reported problems.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Exclamation Problems, you want problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Ditto....also wouldn't buy an S or GT2 from their first 2 years...too many reported problems.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I traded an 04 K1200RS with only 200 miles left on it's warranty because it was a problem bike. I was afraid it was going to be a shop queen. It had the clutch failure due to slave cylinder leaking. Loved the bike otherwise.

I traded an 02 K1200RS for that 04 that was a shop queen. Again with 200 miles left on it's warranty. It wore out four camshafts and lifters. BMW finally replaced the head but by then I had replaced the bike with the 04! Both those RS's had the rear drive bearings loosen. Loved that bike too but I didn't trust it.

The dealer that traded for my 04 still has it in inventory, over priced at over $11,000!!!!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT 27,000 miles ( probably a keeper)
93 K1100RS 123,000 miles ( a keeper)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2008, 8:11 am
Rookie

I was driving the LT before the RS. I really had difficulty managing the LT under 3 miles and hour in unfamiliar, out of town, roads where I was busy waiting for the cage to make the left turn and missed the slight nuances of unlevel pavement. Got tired of picking it up after coming to a full stop, not to mention the embarrassement.

To make a long story short I was going to buy the new GT since it had all the touring goodies of the LT in a lighter version. But decided I would spend 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a new GT by first trying out an RS. OOOO WEEEEEE!!! It is nice to occassionally make a real good decision.

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode