Re:Oil Filter Cover - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2008, 8:49 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Exclamation Re:Oil Filter Cover

Why is there a cover over the oil filter of our K-bikes? My wife has a 2000 R1100S that uses the same exact filter as my bike ("02" K12RS) and it doesn't have a cover. What gives? You know that BMW knew something was up when they added a gasket to the cover. When I took it off there was all kinds of oil that dripped out of there. Where is that oil coming from? Even before I put the new oil in the bike after I put the new filter up in the bike it started to drip all most immediately and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it would do that even with out oil in the bike? Also does it get re-circulate some how or is it lost to the bike at that point and then just "stew" the filter in it's own "juice" after that? O.K. that's the end of my bombardment of questions! Thanks in advance. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Question Is this for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Why is there a cover over the oil filter of our K-bikes?
That cover keeps the oil from running all over the floor, as you found out. Been that way since 1984. At least you don't have to drop the whole pan like the old Guzzi's.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 4:35 am
Addict

The oil filter is actually sitting inside the sump surrounded by oil, which is why so many got worried about the paint flaking on some aftermarket filter cans.

So you really just took off the 'sump inspection cover'.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 9:00 am
Addict

a better question is why is the dam thing so small and the edges so sharp?Another 1/2 inch or 6mm wider and anyones filter wrench would fit and a dull edge and skinned knuckles might not happen!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 1:52 pm
Addict

I use a cup shaped filter remover that I bought at the same time as some Mahler filters. It picks up on the dimples around the filter and there's a socket nut in the center.

Apart from the fact changing a filter always seems messy with oil runing down wrists, the filters usually come out OK.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 4:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Why is there a cover over the oil filter of our K-bikes? My wife has a 2000 R1100S that uses the same exact filter as my bike ("02" K12RS) and it doesn't have a cover. What gives? You know that BMW knew something was up when they added a gasket to the cover. When I took it off there was all kinds of oil that dripped out of there. Where is that oil coming from? Even before I put the new oil in the bike after I put the new filter up in the bike it started to drip all most immediately and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it would do that even with out oil in the bike? Also does it get re-circulate some how or is it lost to the bike at that point and then just "stew" the filter in it's own "juice" after that? O.K. that's the end of my bombardment of questions! Thanks in advance. :-)
What you say is normal......the cover is like a big drain plug.....filter is inside oil pan.....not like a car where as the filter is outsde of the pan.....please check your gasket isnt left behind up on the filter flange when removing old filter.....they will stick and not come out when you remove the filter....have to reach up inside and pull it out.....otherwise you will not get a good seal on the new filter and you could lose oil press. and blow your motor......if your not sure of what to do or how....there is alot of people in here that could talk you threw it...within min. of a post.....you know that ....I am sure

Last edited by BAK04GT; Feb 25th, 2008 at 4:49 pm.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 4:55 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
a better question is why is the dam thing so small and the edges so sharp?Another 1/2 inch or 6mm wider and anyones filter wrench would fit and a dull edge and skinned knuckles might not happen!
...a better question is ....Why didnt they put just an acsess cover on the belly pan to get at the filter cover....I swear to god im going to put some kind of acsess cover so i dont have to keep pulling that damn pan everytime I change my oil ....mmm..Sea salt!....mmmm Rubber slug plug .....

Last edited by BAK04GT; Feb 25th, 2008 at 5:00 pm.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 6:18 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
...a better question is ....Why didnt they put just an acsess cover on the belly pan to get at the filter cover
You would need access to the oil drain plug too....5 minutes on/off for the belly pan....what's the hurry?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2008, 10:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
You would need access to the oil drain plug too....5 minutes on/off for the belly pan....what's the hurry?
Just my nature...if it can be done simpler and faster..... im in....but i know where your coming from....just that i work on that kinda stuff all day ....and i hate to bring work into my pleasure......thats riding...no time for screwing around
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:50 am

Just roll with it. It's like that because it has to be like that because it's a freakin race car engine crammed into the space of a motorcycle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode