Hayabusa vs K12RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 2:01 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hayabusa vs K12RS

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Busa for about a year now.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 03 RS.
But, I want more power (don't we all).
So, I have a few simple questions.
Who here has ridden a Busa and an RS?
Which is more stable in straight line highway cruising?
Which one handles the twisties better?
Which one overall feels stabler?
No need to ask which one accelerates better.
What will I miss the most if I sell my RS and buy a Busa? (besides cruise control)
And BTW, where is Vics?
Thanks folks,
Lenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny
What will I miss the most if I sell my RS and buy a Busa? (besides cruise control)
And BTW, where is Vics?
Thanks folks,
Lenny
Lenny -

I've owned 3 Busas. Great bike. Brakes are so so. Suspension used to be fair, but is much improved on the current model. The Busa is no more stable in a straight line than the RS. The RS has it over the Busa in stability at speed over less than perfect roads, especially when cornering. The Busa handles very well but, like the RS, it's a big heavy bike. I can't say what you'll miss if you lose the RS, but for me, it would be the cruise control, way better brakes, heated grips, accessory sockets, and the BMW "thing". It's exclusive. The RS looks like it's sculpted. The Busa is a phenomenal bike, but be prepared to see a zillion of them wherever you ride.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 2:48 pm

My riding buddy has an '04 Busa and I have an '04 GT. We occasionally swap bikes.

The most notable differences to me are:
- Busa riding position - I feel like I'm either staring at the pavement or kinking my neck back to see the road ahead. I'd hate to think what a GSX, R1, etc. would do to me.
- Roll on speed. Needless to say, the Busa has unbelievable power. Just twist the throttle and make sure you don't slide off the seat - literally.
- Stability seems about the same straight-line except on freeway driving - I noticed getting buffeted around more on the Busa.
- Stability in the twisties goes to the Busa by a very slim margin, but I think it's more riding position than the bike.
- The build quality goes to the BMW of course.
- What you will miss - wind protection, riding comfort, options, multi-purpose bike (sport and touring rolled into one with little to no compromises), semi-invisibility to LEO's (sort-of).

My friend loves my GT and his typical comment is that it is so smooth in everything it does. What's funny when we're riding together is he gets all the kids on the sidewalk twisting the "air throttle" requesting a wheelie.

Have you considered a new silencer and a chip? I know it's not Busa power, but it does make a difference.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 7:21 pm

The BMW THING SAID IT ALL!! AND A BUSA DONT LOOK LIKE THIS....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mee.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	614   Click image for larger version

Name:	meeee.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	615  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 7:38 pm

Quote:
And BTW, where is Vics?
Thanks folks,
Lenny
Why don't you try something that is beautiful, more exclusive, reliable and a good compliment to the RS...... The 06 Tuono.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TuonoR003.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	616   Click image for larger version

Name:	TuonoR013m.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	617   Click image for larger version

Name:	airborne m.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	618   Click image for larger version

Name:	TuonoR005m.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	619  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Talking One Fast Bike....I think...

Quote:
And BTW, where is Vics?
Thanks folks,
Lenny
Wait until Spring m'06. Kawasaki Z1400?. 200 HP. I am sure you can kill yourself then.
But will it handle like a BMW K1200GT at 130? . Doubt it. Mirrors will shake, but, you'll be able to do 0-60 in 3 seconds.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:32 pm

K1200RS better Roll-On at 100Km/hr compare to busa?

Hi All,
This is an interesting topic and I recall reading this article a while back from an Australian road test called "Jailbait" and the following paragraph....

?Yeah, but just how fast are they?
If you got the three bikes together for a top-gear throttle roll-on from 100kmh, what would your prediction be? Címon, be honest. Mine was long-stroke Bimm to 130-140kmh, Blackbird and Hayabusa close behind, then Hayabusa and daylight second from around 160. We were in for a surprise. All three bikes run around 3400rpm at 100kmh in top, with the Nippon bikes running higher redlines.

The Bimm walked away by four bike lengths at 100, then the other two held it. Then the Blackbird leapt ahead at 160, smoking the Bimm and gaining six bike lengths on the Suzuki. Finally, at 220kmh, the Hayabusa pulled back the gap, and at 240kmh walked off... then, at 260-plus, we ran out of tarmac, accepted the Suzi as top-end king and went and had a good lie down!

That tells me two things. The first is that the BMW is not to be messed with when thereís a good rider on board. Number two is this whole horsepower race is essentially meaningless, but a good excuse to stick your head under the paint, nail the throttle, and see whose toy is quicker.
I have ridden the Busa for a while and I recall it was a hand full when the pavement is damp as the torque breaks the back tires loose quite easily.
Any of you can verified that the K1200RS is actually better roll-on from 100 to 130-140km per hour per this article?

Plastics
99 K1200RS silver/blue
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:51 pm
Addict

The Busa is an outstanding bike, but there is some mild overlap with the KRS. Both are longer distance inline four sporting rides. If I were thinking of a bike with more power I'd consider something more diverse. By more power surely you don't mean you want the ability to go over 160mph in a straight line. Zzzzzzzz. Maybe you want more thrust, roll-on, or hold-on-tight acceleration.

If the latter, then I would put a hot sportbike on your short list. A V-Twin config would be a nice complement to the KRS with the different and soulful exhaust note, and it has that v-twin torque. A sportbike would be more fun than you can imagine in the curves and it would handle them and shoot you out of them more capably than the Bus or KRS. The liter i-4 sportbikes would not only deliver the preceding but take you through 1/4 mile more quickly than the Bus.

Yeah, they wouldn't be as comfortable as the KRS or Bus, but you would already have the KRS for the cushy ride. If you're in shape, the sportbike is the way to go for <200 mile rides and if you have the right roads nearby. But FWIW, while I was riding around New Zealand last week, came across six riders on dedicated sportbikes 500 miles from their homes. They were middle aged riders on a weekend trip having a blast.

Last edited by sfarson; Nov 15th, 2005 at 10:57 pm.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2005, 3:00 am
Addict

I was intrigued by the replies and sfarson's last post. After I hotted my first cage, I realised more horsepower didn't transfer to top speed unless you modded the final drive ratio's or raised the red line as well. So when we compare bikes and provided the handling is similar, are we just looking for top speed? Then I'd accept the arguments for more power, but if we want more excitement on the road most of the time, wouldn't a K12 redlined at 120 mph with a modded rear drive (if that were possible) fit the bill most of the time? That's where other chain drive bikes have the edge because their rear sprocket drive ratio can be easily altered.

The K's have phenomenal torque in all gears, a characteristic not found in the high redline bikes. I like cruising without shifting too often! I think this and cruise stability are two of the BMW characteristic I most like, but as I grow older on the K12 I wouldn't want a heavier bike, which rules out the Busa for me.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2005, 7:35 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Great responses all.
Keep em coming.
Here's my situation.
I absolutely love my KRS.
But I can't afford to keep it and another bike at the same time.
I'd probably severly regret selling it for a sport bike, so I'll keep it til I can afford
to keep 2.
That'll be after my youngest graduates college in 5 yrs or so.
I bought the KRS with 2 Bros Ti exhaust and Rhinewest chip already installed, so it's probably as powerful as it's ever gonna get.
My main problem is that I want one of each kind of bike.
Here's what else I've been thinking of:
- RC 51 for that V-Twin sport bike orgasmic feeling
- GSXR 750 for that ultimate sport bike feeling
- BMW K1200S for that do everything "I am king of any road" feeling
(too expensive to even think about now)
- Speed Triple cuz it's just so wrong on so many levels! Whatta bike, whatta motor
- Daytona 675 WOW! If the preliminary reports are half true, this is a must have sport
bike.
- R1 cuz it's so sexy and fast
- GSXR 1K because it's so good
- ZX 10R cuz it's an absolute animal and I'd like to try and tame it or die trying
OK, those last 3 are wild cards. But they're so tempting!
Any comments on my list.
Keep this thread going.
I need as much temptation as I can get.
Lenny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode