UK Riders: New MOT front Brake Test - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2008, 9:38 am Thread Starter
Addict

UK Riders: New MOT front Brake Test

I thought I'd share this with UK riders:

I recently put my bike in for the DOT MOT test having been all over it. They 'Advised' (that's not a fail) that their brake test indicated a slight fluctuation of brake effort (3.3.Ald).

When I got back I re-measured the rotor thickness (greater than 4.5mm) and checked the runout on each rotor with a dial guage with front brake slightly applied and found both were less than 4thou. I'd recently put in new pads, so next time I'll chamfer the edges - just in case the pads edges hadn't worn in to the (slightly worn) rotor.

Replacement rotors for our bikes are very expensive so I phoned around and was told by at least two shops that they had seen a lot of sales of replacement rotors. Some customers had even replaced with the expensive oems and still the MOT machine had indicated an advisory issue.

I hope this little tale helps somebody. The only advice I can give anybody else in this situation is if they mark up the problem as a 'Fail', then get the shop to measure the rotor thickness and runout and if OK lodge a formal appeal.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2008, 7:41 pm

how long does rotors last

Hello Vox
how long (in km's ) does the rotors are expected to last?
Allso, what are the after market rotor availble other than OEM?

Plastics
99 K1200RS silver/blue
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2008, 4:20 am Thread Starter
Addict

Hi Plastics, the truth is on my present bike I don't know because I never owned it from new. It's done about 38K miles now, both have some wear, but not yet down to the 4.5mm limit. Measure yours with a vernier/micrometer then look for cracks or flaws. Checking the runout is a bit more tedious. The rear can get hammered (only 1 rotor) and shops say you could get through a couple of rears to a pair of fronts. I only use the softer Kevlar pads (not HH) and accept dust for less rotor wear.

Also there have been posts from riders who have bought a pair of spanking new oems, only to find them warped after a couple of thou. miles. That suggests there may have been some stresses from new, or the riders went straight on to mountain roads and hammered them too hard at the beginning. Another reason may be they swapped the rotors and left the old partially worn pads in.

From the research I've done so far, here are a few suppliers (UK only):

EBC is probably first choice for most. But have a look at these links:

http://www.grimeca.it/en/?id=10&brand=4&code=DS216

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...CA+BRAKE+DISCS

http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/b...BA_15_45_IA_50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-K1200rs-K-...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm interested to find out a bit more on the Motorworks cast iron rotors as they ought to be more stable (from warping that is). The spec posted by Motobins and Grimeca seems confusing. Yes, I'd like to start with a pair of rotors +1mm thicker than 5mm oem. But I don't think 6mm is made across all K models. I'm waiting for an answer

Hope this helps

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2008, 9:20 pm

replacement rotors

Hello Vox, thanks for the answer.
I have 82,000km (50,000 miles) on my K1200RS and a friend of mine who has a R bike (I don't know what model).....say he will need to change the rotors (at 110,000km).
I am sure the OEM rotors are expensive.
thanks also for the aftermarket rotor site, which I shall do some searching.

Plastics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode