Newbie K1200 GT Owner - Guidance Sought - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cool Newbie K1200 GT Owner - Guidance Sought

Howdy all. This is my first post on the site and I'm looking for some guidance about transitioning to a bigger/heavier bike. Read on . . .

I just purchased a '04 K12 GT with 7200 miles after owning a '76 R90/6 for over 31 years which I sold recently. Flew out 1K miles to get it and rode it home. Unfortunately I learned that I've got a lot to learn about transitioning to a bigger/heavier bike. After riding it all that way home with no problems I dropped it on my driveway at 0 speed trying to navigate around my wife's car on my way to work, something that would have been a piece of cake on the /6. My first reaction was to pick it up, of course, but then I strained my back and had to have a neighbor come help me pick it up off the pavement (sickening I know!). After a couple of visits to the chiro I'm OK with strained muscles but can't get back on for 4 to 6 weeks at his order.

Does anyone have any lessons learned about transitioning to a bigger/heavier bike that would be useful? I'm half spooked now about getting on thinking I'm going to be falling over with it about every 5 days, something I cannot afford! I'm having real doubts now that I bought this bike because of its size. Perhaps riding it to work in heavy traffic is not the best use for this machine. I'm not that big a guy at 5'9" and 160lbs. Perhaps a older version RT is what I should have done but I'm also thinking a V-Strom, KLR or F650 may be the order for guerilla city riding.

Anyway, can anyone give me some ideas on next steps to either help in the transition or opt out for something more within my range of control? Are there any videos or books that I can consult about the transition?

I appreciate your opinions and thoughts. Ciao!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 5:21 am
Addict

Sorry to hear about your bad luck and hope your back gets better.

I had the very same fears when I got my KRS, having moved up from a KAWA 550. I read a lot of posts here about 'tipovers' and learned that even the experienced riders have occasionally been unfortunate. Here's a few things I learned but others will chime in.

Tipovers can be very expensive, apart from injuries.

Always regard the bike as 'heavy' and if it moves away from vertical, be very certain what you are doing.

Put the side stand down when moving it and push from the left side. Personally, I think it's better to sit astride the bike (with side stand down) and walk it about with motor running. It needs more effort, but it's safer

Learn where the grab rail is on the frame left side under the seat.

Keep well away from gravel on a road or driveway surface.

Watch out for 'ramps' or inclines when pushing, as even 1/2" can be hard to get up.

When parking up, lower the side stand whilst still on the bike, but then look down at how far the 'foot' is away from the tarmac, dismount left side. Some curbs have a very steep slope. In those cases I park up at 90 degrees to the curb edge. I always felt my side stand was a bit short for our road camber in UK, so I lengthened mine a bit.

If you go to new places and park up, eyeball the road surface before dismounting. Be very careful on grass - use a piece of ply under the stand foot to spread the load.

Beware of hot sun and melting asphalt. You can park up and return to find the bike tipped over.

The muffler can gets very hot so you and pillions need to be careful. Wear your riding gear!

Don't carry a pillion until you've got a good feel for the bike - they don't know how much weight you are handling - the squirmy pillions are the worst! Before a pillion mounts up, you sit on the bike first both feet firmly planted, then get them to mount right side away from the muffler (mine's on the left).

Do not attempt slow tight turns or a 360 until you get a better feel for the weight. I can't remember the speed but somewhere around 5-10mph. I now have a built in plumb line in my brain and that warns me first.

If you've been off the bike a couple of weeks, say on vacation, remind yourself to 're-learn' the bike and weight for the first hour.

Wear proper riding boots, even when pushing the bike around your garage - they have very soft rubber soles like your tires, and won't slip in the wet.

When you pull up at a stop sign waiting a few minutes, you can get overconfident and not realise you might be leaning over. I keep both feet well planted and legs locked at the knees.

Be careful if you use a rotor/disc lock security product.

Finally, if you have a tipover, try and get help, or learn how the girls can pickup a fallen superbike bike single handed. There's a brilliant link I can't find, so somebody help me out. But here's a couple for starters:

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/Artic...len%20bike.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng1KT5bTG50

Hope you get back on the bike soon - Vox

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 6:47 am
Addict

Vox covered the high points. I had an 04 GT and loved it! I'm a bit bigger than most but the bike got away from vertical on me a few times. The only time it went all the way over was in the grass in my front yard....oh wait, then when I took it off road and got stuck in the mud a dozen times.

When the bike starts to get a few degrees of lean it gets exponentially heavier. Try to avoid that situation at all costs.

If it gets too much, don't risk hurting your back again. Tupperware is expensive and easy to replace. Your back? Not so.

Best of riding to you,

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 6:49 am
Addict

big heavy bike

2 things contribute to the slow maneuvering of the kgt. one is weight, the other is seat height. u have to counterlean when maneuvering this bike at slow speeds. unlike a harley which is also heavy, this bike sits up high. so remember, instead of leaning into the turn at slow speeds, counterlean for balance. i did exactly the same thing the first month after i bought my kgt. dropped it in the front yard in the sand in a slow turn. good luck
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 9:29 am
Rookie

Hey welcome to the group you ain't a virgin no more!

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 12:54 pm
Addict

Welcome to the IDMB (I Dropped My Bike) club. Sorry to hear you had the experience.
Vog did a great job in his post, I am sure that will help you.

I had stopped ridding for 12 years and then bought a new 2002 K1200RS. I found maneuvering it at slow speed to be very challenging especially with my short legs, inseam of 30".
I must have dropped it 4 times in parking lots. I did learn very quickly to pick it up with my back to the bike and lifting it with my legs. It does come up easily that way, well for a 200 lbs. guy. I have gotten the balance of it at slow speed.

I will be glad to loan you my training wheels, But I still need them!

Bazra
Aka: The Flash
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 1:50 pm
Rookie

Dropped Bike

I also had a small incident (In MY Garage) when first getting my '04 K1200GT. Luckly I was able to let it slide slowly to the garage floor and my SO was close by to help me get it back upright. Cost me one brake pedal and a early lesson learned. You are not alone. Welcome to the club.

2ndChance
'04 K1200GT RED
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 2:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks to Everyone!

Hey folks! Thanks you to all for your replies and encouragement. It does ease the pain to know I'm not alone. Special thanks to Vox for his detailed reply . . . thanks brother! I'll read and re-read these so that I'm thinking when I crawl back on the beast. Thank you again . . . ciao!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2008, 7:13 pm
Addict-oholic

See this thread about raising up a fallen bike. I have done it and I am 71 and weigh 200 lbs. not quite a piece of cake but it works.
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ghlight=skerts

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2008, 5:34 am
Enthusiast

It will get better. My wife had a bit of trouble with her KRS in the first year but has been drop-free ever since. Couple more pointers, if using the side stand, put the bike in gear first and roll it ahead to take out the drive train lash, then place on side stand. If using the centerstand, to unmount, its better to do so while sitting on the bike, taking it off the centerstand while standing at the side, it can get away from you.

If you do experience a tipover while the bike is running, make sure you turn the engine off as QUICKLY as possible. The oil tube will not pickup oil when the bike is on its side and the engine will become oil starved very quickly.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode