Does a 2002 model K1200RS come with panniers? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2008, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Does a 2002 model K1200RS come with panniers?

As title.... I'm looking at possibly purchasing a used K1200RS I would just like to know if they came panniers as standard in the UK market?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2008, 9:11 pm
Addict

Well in the USA market they did not come with bags. The dealer had to add them and they are un-painted. I like them that way. Cause the bellman at the hotels are always banging the bags as they bring them to the room and it would hurt a painted bag.

The GT had the bags as standard and they are painted.

I remember that on the WWW BMW web site the K1200RS had no bags as standard.

I wish you well.

Go fast have fun, go faster have more fun.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2008, 9:20 pm
Looking for better limits...

The RS (in the U.S.) also didn't come with the side rails for the bags to attach to. Unfortunately, what was or wasn't optional in the U.S. won't match the optional list for Germany, which is different than the U.K., which was different from Spain, etc...

Don't know what to say about France...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 4:06 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently watching one on ebayUK which looks nice and has pannier rails apparently. I just thought the stealer was holding back on the panniers.

thanks again.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 1:50 pm
Addict

2002 Krs

I believe that year also did not come with the luggage rack, if that's what you like to call it.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 2:51 pm
Noob

Hi Roadster.

What the others say is true in the US is also true for the UK. Pretty much everything is an extra on the bike when it's bought from BMW. Pannier rails, rear luggage racks, bags... not to mention the cost of buying liner bags to go inside the luggage!

It is pretty good quality though. Goes on quick, sits securely, holds quite a lot. And there are different size lids available too, which either give you a slimline look (good for zipping through traffic), or enough room to pack most of a dead walrus (don't ask how I know this).

Good luck on e-bay!

SiBorg - Assimilating Since 1965
K1200RS ('99), Spondon, UK
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 9:01 pm
Addict

Now I can remember on my 2002 K1200RS the dealer sold me the bags and bag mounting rails. But he did not sell me or install the luggage rack.

You will need that.
After a short amount of time my left bag drooped and layed on the muffler. All was lost.

BMW did warranty the melted bag and all the BMW things inside the bag, and I bought a luggage rack for about $100. (I think) so the bag would not lay on the muffler again.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Addict

My Deal

I bought my 2002KRS used from a dealer with luggage rack and a 5.5 rear rim, and strongly urged them to give me a set of bags, GT hand and leg wind deflectors. . He-he I AM THEE MR. THRIFTY!!!

No salesmaen were harmed in this transaction.............nor threatened to be...................as far as I can remember.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2008, 7:41 am
Faster than poop

Sorry bazra, I don't understand why the left bag drooped because the luggage rack was missing. Were you lashing loads to the of the bag, which the luggage rack relieved?

I just mounted bags to a new-to-me 2002 RS and I'd like to avoid melting them. No luggage rack.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
Now I can remember on my 2002 K1200RS the dealer sold me the bags and bag mounting rails. But he did not sell me or install the luggage rack.

You will need that.
After a short amount of time my left bag drooped and layed on the muffler. All was lost.

BMW did warranty the melted bag and all the BMW things inside the bag, and I bought a luggage rack for about $100. (I think) so the bag would not lay on the muffler again.
aka: The Flash

Live fast. Eat carrots.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2008, 1:37 pm
Addict

Six, Per BMW the luggage rack is required when using bags. It helps support the bags so they don't droop.

When I bought my 02 bike the dealer in Chandler, AZ must have missed the (Note when installing bags, it must have a luggage rack for support.

I used the bike for a month or two when the bag drooped low enough to the muffler that it melted the bag and some of the clothes and the BMW heated vest in the left bag. I was in San Diego and the dealer said NO WARRANTY cause you must have a luggage rack. I explained to him that the AZ dealer sold the new bike to me like that.
Then the San Diego dealer called the AZ dealer and put it under warranty, including the BMW heated vest and shirt that melted, but I had to buy the luggage rack.

I would not use the bags with out a luggage rack!!!

Bazaar
ak: The Flash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode