Do the Fairing addtions of the GT make any difference - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Do the Fairing addtions of the GT make any difference

Can anyone tell me if the fairing addtions on the GT make any improvments to weather protection or stability?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 12:21 pm
Addict

I prefer the higher GT bars on my KRS, unfortunately that now puts my hands in the wind. I think If I had the GT front plastic and the GT bars, that would have been a better match.

Although these bikes are supposed to be 'adjustable', when it comes down to it, adjustment on a model can be limited by other design constraints so I think when BMW do new design work on the plastics, you do get something that might work together in tune.

I'm not sure about stability. More plastic area up front probably means some more drag, like putting on a larger screen and sidewinds might me a bit more twitchy. But hey, stick saddle bags on the bike and you're going to be more aware in how you ride.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 2:26 pm
Enthusiast

I can tell you that the handguards added to the fairing help reduce the wind to your fingers and hands. I usually remove mine during hot weather to increase airflow. I don't remove the leg guards since they would leave holes in the fairing, but the extra airflow I would get with those removed in the heat would be nice also.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 6:13 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
I can tell you that the handguards added to the fairing help reduce the wind to your fingers and hands. I usually remove mine during hot weather to increase airflow. I don't remove the leg guards since they would leave holes in the fairing, but the extra airflow I would get with those removed in the heat would be nice also.
HEAT!!! whats that????

I Live in Scotland matey so basically the bikes perfect for this country
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 9:18 pm
Addict

GT add ons

I have the GT windscreen, hand guards, and the fairing mounted leg protectors on my RS and they all make a great difference. I rode the bike before the add-ons and once installed they will not come off. Some don't like the hand guards in the warm months but just wait until you're in a light rain or constant fog-like situation. Not to mention the golf-ball size beatles we get here in North Carolina or truck stones smacking your knuckles without them.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:11 am
Enthusiast

I find that my GT hand guards work great in cooled or hot 100 plus temps

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
I do the same thing. In summer, I install the short windshield and remove the handguards. In the winter I put the tall windshield on and put the handgaurds back on. With them on, my hands are protected from wind and rain better. In the summer, I prefer to have my hands cooler. Riding characteristics don't seem to change much, unlike the windshield differences which are huge. I really like the short windshield and having my helmet in clean air. With the tall one, my head gets buffeted around pretty good.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 3:24 pm

Can't say since I already own an '04 GT but coming from an R1200RST and before that a K75s the protection provided is more than adequate. I had hand guards on the other bikes and never took them off, just figured that I had gloves on anyway, what the hell??
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 4:08 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I do the same thing. In summer, I install the short windshield and remove the handguards. In the winter I put the tall windshield on and put the handgaurds back on. With them on, my hands are protected from wind and rain better. In the summer, I prefer to have my hands cooler. Riding characteristics don't seem to change much, unlike the windshield differences which are huge. I really like the short windshield and having my helmet in clean air. With the tall one, my head gets buffeted around pretty good.
Popeye
If you are shorter than 5'10", a Laminar Lip might be the answer to the buffeting with the tall windscreen that you are experiencing.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 3:43 pm

I put the handguards and GT windshield on my 04 KRS for the winter. The handguards do help deflect the wind. The GT windshield, in the lower position, does cause some helmet buffetting for me (5'8").

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode