Bent ? Rear Brake Pedal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bent ? Rear Brake Pedal

Hi Guys,
I bought my 03GT back in September last year and shifted the footpegs to their forward position straight away. During the last couple of days I have been mocking up a pair of adaptor plates ( in 10mm plywood for mocking up, but the finished ones will be made of alloy) to see if I could bring them forward some more, and it all seems to be working out pretty well. However, and this is my question to you all, looking at it today I have just noticed that the rear brake pedal is bent inward quite a bit forward from a point just after the micro-switch stop i.e. about the last 4 inches. Is this the same on your bikes ?? I have never realy noticed it being particularly awkward to use as it is, but it does look as if it would be better if it were straight. There is no apparent damage that would make me think it has been bent in an accident and I wonder if a previous owner has deliberately bent it to move it out of the way to accomodate his size 11 boots !!
Your observations will be appreciated. Neville.

Incidently, if anyone else is thinking of doing a similar " adaptor plate " modification, you will also need to modify the end of the gearshift lever to move the toe hook further forward. Just a bit of drilling and filing required to the lever part of the adjuster pivot to allow it to swing furthur forward. N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:09 am
Veteran

The brake pedal on my '04KRS bent in just about the same spot after a tip-over, the same might have happened to your bike.
The pedal is mild steel and easily bent back to original. Just watch that micro switch spring steel piece.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 2:18 pm
Addict

Brake Pedal

Yup.....Just like Bruce, mine is bent from a knock down but I left alone and love it just where it is. It's out of my way until I need it and then I just pivot my foot over, very convenient. In the same mishap, not of my doing either, the brake lever broke where it's supposed to, at the "snap line". I just polished it smooth and round and left it. The brake lever is shorter, just like on my old enduro race bikes. If it falls again it won't break because it's shorter and won't hit. Bend it where you want it...simple.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 2:41 pm
Addict

Yep, bent mine when I tried to do a local "long way round" through a MS state park. Tons of fun and red clay everywhere but the pedal got pretty bent.

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Mine is bent too after a nice parking lot drop. Once that baby starts to go over to the right, if your off it and moving it around, there's no stopping it. Replaced my brake lever, now the bent one does duty as a door stop in my office. A nice little reminder.
FlagRS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2008, 5:34 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bent Pedal

Thanks for your response Guys. I guess my bike has been dropped at low speed as you suggest although there is no other evidence to show. I will get the tools on it later and bend it back straight. Thanks. Neville.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:05 am
Addict

Mine too, same bend, no other signs of tip over,till
I looked closer.No spring on right footpeg,looks like it was replaced with no spring, and after I took plastic off I could see where the right side tupperware had been repainted.Watch the micro switch,it's picky about where wants be.Finding out your bike has been dropped is like finding out your new bride isnt a virgin, dont worry about it, you were going to break the cherry anyway.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 7:00 pm

I also have an 03 GT and am looking for some more forward leg room...at 6ft.2 and 59 yrs young my legs dont like the bent position much. Was wondering how the plates were working for you....Richard
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Adaptor Plate Progress

I have completed the adapter plates and, having had a test ride today, I can confirm that they make the riding position much better even though they only moved the pegs forward 45mm ( 1-3/4" ). I will post a new thread with some photo's. I have also sent Richard a seperate e-mail with the photo's and some details of how they were made.
If I don't manage to get the new thread and photo's posted, anyone interested can add to this one and I will pick it up here.
Neville G.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode