No Rust on Motorcycles! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 2:37 pm Thread Starter
Addict

No Rust on Motorcycles!

Hey Gang,
I finally had it with the rotor bolts rusting from the inside and bleeding out on the spacers. The rust on the caliper bolts and brake areas. I took them, and a few other ugly bolts off and took them to a local boy who does Electroless Nickle finish here in Mooresville,NC. This process is used extensively throughout the racing industry here in NASCAR land. It's not a "plating" process that would add to the overall diameters. I took the bolts out, had them glass-beaded, tumbled them in my brass tumbler w/hard walnut shells and Wallah! No More RUST!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before I.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	7393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickle After II.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	7394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickel Rotor Bolt.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	7395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rr. Brake.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	7396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickle Front End.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	7397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Complete.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	7398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Wheel.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	7399  

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2008, 2:07 am
Addict

Hey there....

You'd better watch out or folks might think you don't ride that thing....

seriously....very nice finish....

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2008, 5:04 am
Addict

I did the stainless swap on most of my bolts, kits are available and pretty cheap. However, whatever you do there's a chemistry issue.

I think the oem plating is actually aluminium on steel. You have to be careful with some of the bolts which have a tension rating and most are fitted into aluminium threads which is why I think the oem uses ali plating. Even the oem plating still seems to oxidise in aluminium, particularly where there is brake fluid around which is why caliper half bolts on older bikes can be siezed in.

I'm no chemistry expert, but I'd make sure what the effect of nickel in ali would be. Even though the racing industry may use this plating, their vehicles aren't so exposed to chemicals in road asphalt or winter salt.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Reactions

Hey Vox,
Fine and good but this should be a non-issue since the calipers are off the bike several times a year for tire replacement. If there's any kind of reaction it will be picked up at these intervals. I'll keep you posted if there are any issues. Thanks

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
Hey Vox,
Fine and good but this should be a non-issue since the calipers are off the bike several times a year for tire replacement. If there's any kind of reaction it will be picked up at these intervals. I'll keep you posted if there are any issues. Thanks
I was more meaning the through bolts which some change. After all, you have a nice shiny pair each side to the forks, but leave the rusty bolts in the actual calipers - which is probably safest because they sieze in, although the stainless bolt kits often include them.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2008, 7:20 pm
Just saying hey

Good for you Cobbler , this is a wonderful cost effective process that has been used in the aerospace industry ,marine engines,etc,etc, is a far better approach than to be replacing the stock hardware with stainless steel.What grade of stainless ,what tensile strength,what is the sheer strength,.One would think that this should be addressed,mind you a for timing cover applications they may be acceptable,but for anything else not on my bike mate.check out [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode